[comp.protocols.iso] Power Utility Standards

cliff@hq.hq.af.mil (Cliff.J.Bamford) (02/03/91)

In article <5041@s3.ireq.hydro.qc.ca> Alain Martineau writes:
>	I read in 'Communications Week' that there is the equivalent of GOSIP
>for the utilities industry. Nobody I know ever heard of that. Does anybody
>know anything about it ?

  You're referring to the Utility Communications Architecture (UCA)
  written by Andersen Consulting for the Electric Power Research Institute
  (EPRI). As far as I can tell, it is a restatement of the OSI stack
  per the Manufacturing Message Specification profile.

  The EPRI contact I have is:

	Mr. Wade Malcom
	EPRI Project Manager
	3412 Hillview Avenue
	Palo Alto, California 94304 USA

>We try to get hold of the standards but there
>seems to be many organisations with competing standards, IEEE, X/Open, COS,
>ANSI, CCITT, OSF. It is confusing.

 Yes, OSI standards are confusing to the novice.
 But don't worry; when you get more experience, you will achieve total
 bewilderment, like the experts. :-)

Good Luck

Cliff Bamford               Internet:cliff@hq.af.mil
San Diego:(619)689-8921  Washington DC:(703)370-3034