[comp.protocols.iso] Transparent Distribution - Why no light-weight transport in OSI stack?

morse@quark.mpr.ca (Daryl Morse) (02/12/91)

In all of the reading on OSI (both standards and otherwise) that I
have done, I have noticed what seems to be an inconsistency in the
conceptual model that forms the basis for the OSI.

The seeming "inconsistency" is as follows: In both name, and in the
actual protocols that are in the stack, OSI is pretty clearly aimed at
the connection of systems. We can see this by virtue of the types of
end to end communications that have been standardized. All are aimed
at system to system communication. However, if you look at the
structure of the application layer, the picture seems to change.
Indeed, the name of the upper-most layer seems to verify that the OSI
is also aimed at the connection of applications. This is reinforced by
the preliminary work that I have reviewed on the ODP (Open Distributed
Processing) Reference Model. This also seems to be clearly aimed
providing transparent distribution at the application level.

Why, then, is there no light-weight mechanism for applications to
communicate with other applications that might happen to be located on
the same system? If I don't want my application to know where it is,
or where the applications that it communicates with are, shouldn't
that be addressed (no pun intended) by the stack? Surely, I shouldn't
be reasonably expected to use X.25, or FDDI, for IPC. (Something
related to this is the lack of a decent performing name service. X.500
is clearly not a great name service for an RPC.)

Am I all wet here, and it really isn't the intention of the OSI that
application entities might reside on the same system? Perhaps I'm just
impatient, and these issues will be addressed by the ODP work?

If you have any thoughts on these matters, I would be most interested
in hearing them. Thanks.
--
Daryl Morse                     | Voice : (604) 293-5476
MPR Teltech Ltd. 		| Fax   : (604) 293-5787

mdobbins@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Michael Dobbins) (02/13/91)

In article <MORSE.91Feb12152547@quark.mpr.ca> morse@quark.mpr.ca (Daryl Morse) writes:
>[stuff deleted]
>Why, then, is there no light-weight mechanism for applications to
>communicate with other applications that might happen to be located on
>the same system? If I don't want my application to know where it is,
>or where the applications that it communicates with are, shouldn't
>that be addressed (no pun intended) by the stack? Surely, I shouldn't
>be reasonably expected to use X.25, or FDDI, for IPC. (Something
>related to this is the lack of a decent performing name service. X.500
>is clearly not a great name service for an RPC.)
>
>Am I all wet here, and it really isn't the intention of the OSI that
>application entities might reside on the same system? Perhaps I'm just
>impatient, and these issues will be addressed by the ODP work?

My understanding of the intention of OSI (at least a couple of years
ago) is to standardize Intersystem communication.  Any intrasystem
issues were considered private to that system and not to be defined by
OSI. This includes layer boundry interfaces.  It is not inconsistent
for a system to provide a local IPC mechanism which appears the same as
the remote IPC mechanism to an application.  IMHO, that is the right
thing to do.  The local mechanisms have not been within the scope of
OSI definition.  On the other hand, other groups have been working on
standardizing local system interfaces and API's, ex. TLI for unix.
This work may result in the 'defacto' standards for local 'light
weight' mechanisms that you are looking for.

eskovgaa@CUE.BC.CA (Erik Skovgaard) (02/14/91)

OSI is intended to be used between processes on different systems.
Whatever takes place on a single system is outside the scope of OSI, but
as you point out, this will be taken up in the ODP framework.

Other organizations such as X/Open, IEEE and the API Association have
decided to standardize APIs for internal use on a computer system.  As
it turns out, many of these APIs reflect the Abstract Services of
several ASEs.

                                            ....Erik.

---------------------------------
Erik Skovgaard
PSC (Pacific) Inc
Vancouver, B.C.

kerry@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Kerry Raymond) (02/18/91)

In article <MORSE.91Feb12152547@quark.mpr.ca> morse@quark.mpr.ca (Daryl Morse) writes:
>OSI is pretty clearly aimed at the connection of systems.

>This is reinforced by
>the preliminary work that I have reviewed on the ODP (Open Distributed
>Processing) Reference Model. This also seems to be clearly aimed
>providing transparent distribution at the application level.

>Why, then, is there no light-weight mechanism for applications to
>communicate with other applications that might happen to be located on
>the same system?

One of the three main aims of ODP is to provide distribution transparency
which should blur the distinction between local and remote.
To that end, ODP wants to see communication between co-located
and non-co-located applications done via the same interface.

Whether the implementation of those interfaces is smart enough to realize
that some light-weight mechanism can be used in certain circumstances
depends on those implementing the lower-level protocols.

I suspect that the problem is that the lightest-weight mechanism is usually
the local IPC mechanism. However, the implementer wants to write something
very portable which can run on many machines and hence isn't interested
in including local IPC calls.

>Perhaps I'm just impatient, and these issues will be addressed by the ODP work?

I doubt that ODP will address the light-weight mechanism issue. I believe
that the ODP group would regard that as a problem for lower layers of the
OSI stack.

Dr Kerry Raymond, R & D Engineer                     kerry@citrus.citr.uq.oz.au
Centre for Information Technology Research                Phone: +61 7 365-4321
University of Queensland 4072 Australia                     Fax: +61 7 365-4399