[comp.protocols.iso] X.25

erik@naggum.uu.no (Erik Naggum) (10/15/90)

As several of the knowledgable readers of this list and newsgroup have
noticed, the Blue Book X.25 Recommendation is littered with small typos
and errors.  I received the Errata sheets for X.25(1988), and have typed
them in as a public service.  Please update your text accordingly.  The
entries are sorted in increasing page number order, which the original
corrigendum was not.  Editorial comments and abrigdements of the text in
[brackets].

"Corrigendum No. 1" is dated June, 1990, and covers Fascicle VIII.2.

The title of section 6.28 in the list of contents, page 158

	"TOA/NEI" should be "TOA/NPI"

Tables 1/X.25 and 2/X.25, page 162

	All hyphens should be suppressed, [so that "8-bits" reads "8
	bits", and "16-bits" reads "16 bits"].  [Editorial comment: They
	left the "Bir order of transmission" typo; should read "bit".]

Table 13/X.25, page 196

	"TABLEAU" should be "TABLE"

section 3, title, page 204

	"packet level" should be "packet layer".

Table 15/X.25, page 211

	"TABLEAU" should be "TABLE"

section 4.4.2, third paragraph, last line, page 215

	"on a contribution basis" should read "on a contractual basis"

section 4.6.3, first line, page 217

	"ocndition" should be "condition".

section 5.2.1, first paragraph, second line, page 219

	"TDA/NZI" should be "TOA/NPI"

section 5.2.1, third paragraph (Note), third line, page 219

	"TOA/NZI" should be "TOA/NPI"

section 5.2.1, fourth paragraph, second line, page 219

	"TOA/NZI" should be "TOA/NPI"

Figure 5/X.25, page 222, should be replaced by the following one [crude
ASCII rendition]:

	   8	   7	   6	   5	   4	   3	   2	   1
	|		     Called DTE address length		      |
	|-------------------------------------------------------------|
	|		     Calling DTE address length		      |
	|-------------------------------------------------------------|
	:		     	Called DTE address		      :
	:			    (see Note)			      :
	:							      :
	:				+-----------------------------:
	:                               |			      :
	:-------------------------------+			      :
	:		     	Calling DTE address		      :
	:			    (see Note)			      :
	:							      :
	:				+-----------------------------:
	:				|  0	   0	   0	   0  |

	Note -- The figure is drawn assuming the number of semi-octets
	present in the called DTE address field is odd and the number of
	semi-octets present in the calling DTE address field is even.

Figure 16/X.25, title, page 238

	"reste" should be "reset".

Figure 21/X.25, page 242

	This figure should be replaced by the following one (i.e. in the
	octet of "Registration length", "0" of bit 8 should be removed).

	:							      :
	|-------------------------------------------------------------|
	|		       Registration lengthh		      |
	|-------------------------------------------------------------|
	:							      :

Figure 22/X.25, page 243

	[Similar error to that in Figure 21/X.25, not reproduced here.]

section 6.14.5 in the title, page 252

	The word "with" should be deleted.

section 6.28, in the title and in the text, page 263

	"TOA/NPi" (5 times) should all be "TOA/NPI".

sectino 7.2.2.11, title, page 272

	"call restriction" should be "call redirection".

Figure B-2/X.25, b), page 281

	"(see note 6)" should be added after the statement "DTE clear
	confirmation or clear request".

Tableau [sic!] C-2/X.25, page 284

	[The "#38" under DISCARD in the second to last row should be
	moved to the ERROR box.]

Table C-3/X.25, the fourth row, page 286

	"call request" should be "clear request".

Table C-3/X.25, case a), 2nd table, Item 8, page 288

	"geater than 109" should be "greater than 109"

Annex H, the last line of the table, page 305

	The Line "TOA/NPI address subscriptions" should be moved towards
	the most left [sic] side to align with the line "call
	redirections and call deflections related facilities."

Appendix II, first line, page 307

	"link level" should be "data link layer".

--------------------------------

That was all.  For this time, at least.

[Erik Naggum]
Naggum Software, Oslo, Norway.

TAMIL@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (03/24/91)

We transfer data among two sites ( Vanquvar B.C and Toronoto,Ont) every day and
 the data is about 1 - 2 meg a data. Now we use a dial up modem ( USR 14,400 )
but we would like to go into X.25 or other methods to save our lond distance ch
arges. Can some one tell me how much X.25 links cost and what persentage lower
then the reguler phone long distance. Plus what hard whare and software do we n
eed.
 Thanks in advance.

Jay

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (03/26/91)

In article <91082.184933TAMIL@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> TAMIL@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:
>We transfer data among two sites ( Vanquvar B.C and Toronoto,Ont) every day
>and the data is about 1 - 2 meg a data. Now we use a dial up modem (USR
>14,400) but we would like to go into X.25 or other methods to save our long
>distance charges.

For bulk data transfers, I'm not aware of anyplace in the world where X.25
public packet services are competitive with high-speed dialup modems over
long distance dialup. X.25 is quite expensive for bulk data, since in most
countries you more than offset the low connect time charges with high traffic
(packet or segment) charges.

In Canada, you can call Faspac (416)/232-6781 or Datapac (613) 781-0978 and
ask them. I believe SprintNet and Accunet now have operations in Canada as
well. I've found Datapac, SprintNet, and Accunet all excruciatingly difficult
to work with -- you can never get ahold of the right person (Datapac), or the
people don't have a clue as to what they're doing (SprintNet), or they just
got re-org'd (again) and haven't figured out who they are working for or what
their job is yet (Accunet). I haven't tried talking to Faspac.

<csg>

djanes@garfield.cs.mun.ca (David Janes) (03/27/91)

TAMIL@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:
| We transfer data among two sites ( Vanquvar B.C and Toronoto,Ont) every
| day and the data is about 1 - 2 meg a data. Now we use a dial up
| modem ( USR 14,400 ) but we would like to go into X.25 or other
| methods to save our lond distance charges. Can some one tell me how
| much X.25 links cost and what persentage lower then the reguler phone
| long distance. Plus what hard whare and software do we need.
|
| Thanks in advance.
|
| Jay

Here is a rough guideline as to what you would pay:

Assuming you are using Datapac 3000 service (Telecom Canada's
do-it-yourself PADing service) with a 2400 baud connection you
can figure on paying
(per Month):

	Packet Charges:			$306.00/mo
	Basic Access Charge:		$440.00/mo (2 nodes @ $220.00 ea)
					----------
					$746.00/mo

In addition, you will have to pay some $500.00 in initial service
charges, plus you will have to buy two PADs (several thousand dollars
each?) or lease them. If you lease them from the phone company, you
are using Datapac 3101 and you can depend on a higher monthly bill
(too grumesome for me to figure out exactly). GST, PST and other taxes
extra.

Also note that if you do not fill your packets (256 bytes each), your
packet charges will increase porportionally.

Call your local phone company to get the Datapac connect information.

COMPUTATION OF RATES (from 'Datapac Rates' #132 07/89):
[ 1 Packet = 256 Bytes, 1 Kp = 1000 Packets = 256 000 Bytes ]

Rate Between Vancover and Toronto:	$1.70/kilopacket
Data Transfered:
	1 - 2 Mb/day 	= 1.5 * 30
			= 45/Mb month
			~=		180 Kp/mo