[comp.protocols.iso] Has anybody tried ISODE over X.25 ?

ramiro@jcricket.ctt.bellcore.com (Ramiro Reinoso) (05/08/91)

I'd like to hear experiences in running ISODE over X.25.  If we want
to do that, how much effort is required ?

--
Ramiro Reinoso, 444 Hoes Lane, Office RRC-1E-226. Piscataway, NJ 08854
(PHONE) (908) 699-5021

dsims@uceng.UC.EDU (david l sims) (05/09/91)

ramiro@jcricket.ctt.bellcore.com (Ramiro Reinoso) writes:

>I'd like to hear experiences in running ISODE over X.25.  If we want
>to do that, how much effort is required ?

It's FAQ time! :-) Would some kind soul briefly explain to me what the
principal benefits of x.25, ISODE, and SLIP are?  Does x.25 provide an
error-free communication link between two nodes on the network? Does
it provide data compresson as well? How about ISODE and SLIP? Anything else?

A few friends and I are setting up a small network for fun.  Our computers
are linked via modems but not all our modems have error-correction and
data-compression built in. Hence, in some cases we'll need EC and DC
implemented in software.  In the future, we'd also like to be able to
have a gateway to another network -- hence the interest in the x.25
standard.

At the very least, could someone point me in a direction to learn more
about the various standard protocols and what their benefits and
disadvantages are?

Thanks much in advance!

David Sims
dsims@uceng.uc.edu