[comp.protocols.iso] QLLC

shafer@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (spencer shafer) (06/27/91)

By implementing QLLC on my IBM beastie, can I run both SNA and OSI
protocols over the same X.25 link?  Have been told that this would
eliminate the need for a separate connection for each.  True?

Dave Love

*             SPENCER SHAFER               *
*       shafer@handel.cs.colostate.edu     *

dls@achilleus.austin.ibm.com (David Skeen) (06/28/91)

In article <15733@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> shafer@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (spencer shafer) writes:
   By implementing QLLC on my IBM beastie, can I run both SNA and OSI
   protocols over the same X.25 link?  Have been told that this would
   eliminate the need for a separate connection for each.  True?

If your beastie is a 9370, you can define one LINE under the X.25 PORT
(in the PACKET major node) with USER=VCNS.  That LINE is used for
multiple OSI/CS virtual circuits.  This holds for VM/VTAM V3R3 and the
corresponding VSE release.
--
Dave Skeen                     IBM Internal: dls@achilleus.austin.ibm.com
D61/803  Zip 2603              IBM VNET:     SKEEN at AUSTIN

eskovgaa@CUE.BC.CA (Erik Skovgaard) (06/28/91)

QLLC is just another "transport" protocol.  It is indicated in the X.25
Call Request packet by a special value in the Protocol Identifier (Hex C3).

Since Call Requests are done seperately for each logical channel, you can
run a QLLC channel concurrent with X.28 channels an others.  All this
assumes, of course, that you can support more than one logical channel per
link.  You normally arrange that with your network supplier beforehand.

Have fun,                               ....Erik.

jrp@ESD.3Com.COM (John Pickens) (06/29/91)

The answer is yes.  QLLC is a mapping of SDLC onto X.25 connections,
with the Q-bit being used to differentiate I-Frames and S-Frames.  QLLC
uses one X.25 session per logical SNA link (links are point-to-point
between logically adjacent nodes).

So architecturally you can have SNA traffic concurrent with other X.25
users, but your access point has to support it.

JP

Date: 6-27-91  12:31am
From: {shafer@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu}:ugate:3Com
  To: ISO Folks:hq:3Com