[rec.aviation] Laptops and Airport Security

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (02/12/88)

In article <1988Feb1.235615.2612@nonvon.uucp>, apn@nonvon.uucp (Alex P Novickis) writes:
> No need for X-rays.   I recently traveled from SFO to El Paso/TX and back
> thru San Diego.   I hand carried a laptop with me... all the security
> asked me to, after I refused to have it x-rayed, was to "Plug it in". I did,
> and they watched the machine boot... and that apparently convinced their
> naive little brains, that it was indeed not a bomb.

This matches my experience with a Compaq Plus, as well.

On a related topic: Once you get your (battery-powered) laptop on the plane
in the passenger compartment, can you use it in flight? I remember that
there was a section in the FARs that said that passengers were prohibited
from using any electronic devices; the rationale was that the magnetic field
generated would throw off the instrumentation.

Since then, though, I've read reviews of laptops comparing how useful they
were when balanced on the tray-table. This would imply that they could
indeed be used in flight.

Any enlightenment on this to be found?

(I included rec.aviation so that we could get some FAR experts involved.
Please edit the newsgroups: line when following up.)

--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC (@WB5BBW)...>splut!< | GEnie: JAYMAYNARD  CI$: 71036,1603
uucp: {uunet!nuchat,academ!uhnix1,{ihnp4,bellcore,killer}!tness1}!splut!jay

jbrown@jplpub1.jpl.nasa.gov (Jordan Brown) (02/19/88)

In article <374@splut.UUCP> jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) writes:
>On a related topic: Once you get your (battery-powered) laptop on the plane
>in the passenger compartment, can you use it in flight? I remember that
>there was a section in the FARs that said that passengers were prohibited
>from using any electronic devices; the rationale was that the magnetic field
>generated would throw off the instrumentation.

The FARs say, essentially, that it's up to the Pilot In Command and the
operator (the airline) whether or not you can use "electronic devices".
This is true both for air carriers and for GA type airplanes.  I believe
that it's a coin flip out there whether some particular airline allows
them; ask first.  (my FARs are downstairs, so no chapter-and-verse, sorry.)

Magnetics aren't terribly important.  However, your computer (and most
complex electronics) is a pretty good radio transmitter, on quite a few
bands.  The theory is that this could screw up some of the more sensitive
navigation systems.  Apparently it doesn't seem to be a problem in real
life, or the FAA would flat out disallow them.

jbrown@jplpub1.jpl.nasa.gov (Jordan Brown) (02/20/88)

In article <5481@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> jbrown@jplpub1.UUCP (Jordan Brown) writes:
>In article <374@splut.UUCP> jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) writes:
>> [can you use laptops in flight?]
>
>The FARs say, essentially, that it's up to the Pilot In Command and the
>operator (the airline) whether or not you can use "electronic devices".
>This is true both for air carriers and for GA type airplanes.  I believe
>that it's a coin flip out there whether some particular airline allows
>them; ask first.  (my FARs are downstairs, so no chapter-and-verse, sorry.)

Well, I received one complaint saying that I was wrong, and I was, at least
partially.  Here's chapter and verse...

14 cfr 91.19 Portable electronic devices

(a)  Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may
operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of any aircraft allow
the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following
U.S. registered civil aircraft:
(1)  Aircraft operated by an air carrier or other commercial operator; or
(2)  Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.
(b)  Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to:
(1)  Portable voice recorders;
(2)  Hearing aids;
(3)  Heart pacemakers;
(4)  Electric shavers; or
(5)  Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft
has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or
communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.
(c)  In the case of an aircraft operated by an air carrier or commercial
operator, the determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section
shall be made by the air carrier or commercial operator of the aircraft
on which the particular device is to be used.  In the case of other
aircraft, the determination may be made by the pilot in command or other
operator of the aircraft.

SO... you must have the airline's permission.  However, remember...

14 cfr 91.3 Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.
(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for,
and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

So if the PIC says NO, then that's the answer.  (Actually, if he says
YES, that's the answer too, but overriding the FARs in that direction
is frowned upon, whereas anything you can justify as being in the
interests of safety is more acceptable.)

As I said, ASK FIRST.  (oh well, bite my tongue.  I didn't ask the last
few times I've used one...)  The PIC is probably one of the best people
to ask, because it's his job and ticket (and life) that are on the line
if he says Yes when the real answer is No.  The agent at the counter is
less deeply steeped in these things, and (I would say) less likely to
know the *real* answer.

But why would anybody want to use a machine without a hard disk anyway?
Sleep, watch the movie, read a book, watch the scenery.  Plenty of time
to work on the ground.   :-)