[rec.aviation] Don't Mess with NASA

stadler@Apple.COM (Andy Stadler) (07/21/89)

 dsc@OSTEOCYBER.ORTHO.HMC.PSU.EDU (david s. channin) writes:
>>> ... What are the laws, regulations, etc (if any) that prevent you from
>>> doing the following:
>>>     1. Walk into the Northrop offices in wherever.
>>>     2. Pull out a bank check for x million dollars.
>>>     3. Say,``I'd would like that nice T-38 that's in the showroom''.
>>>     4. Fly away with same after filling the tank...
>>>
>>>     Why wouldn't this scenario work?? (or would it?).
>
>Change the scenario to:
>
>     1. Walk into the Bede offices in wherever.
>     2. Pull out a bank check for x million dollars.
>     3. Say,``I'd would like that nice BD-5J that's in the showroom''.
>     4. Fly away with same after filling the tank...
>
>and you'll be on your way.  Just speaking personally, as a fairly
>frequent flier, I'd really prefer that fighters be limited-distribution
>items.  There are enough things to worry about, without worrying about
>some yahoo out there in an F-something with sidewinders at my 747's six.
>
> [...]
>
>Just because you can afford an airplane, doesn't mean you can fly it.
>Look at the stereotype about MDs and Bonanzas.

I used to consider that a stereotype until about the 3rd time a Bonanza
tried to run me down....  Why is it always Bonanzas making straight in's
at uncontrolled airports?

(This probably belongs in rec.aviation)

--Andy          stadler@apple.com

berry@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Berry Kercheval) (07/21/89)

In article <33335@apple.Apple.COM>, stadler@Apple (Andy Stadler) writes:
>I used to consider that a stereotype until about the 3rd time a Bonanza
>tried to run me down....  Why is it always Bonanzas making straight in's
>at uncontrolled airports?

I've noticed that too.  I have seen the following happen:

	Bonanza nearly clips the 152 I'm in AFTER we're cleared to land,
	and lands ahead of us.  He got a license suspension for that...

	Bonanza goes out Altamont pass (about 900 ft??) VFR when the
	ceiling was 1100.

	Bonanza comes to LVK and can't find the airport even though he
	claims to see the "gravel pits" less than 2 nm SW.  Controller
	has to give him a vector.

	Bonanza lands gear up at Harris Ranch on 4 July this year (well,
	I saw the aftermath)

Now I have nothing against Bonanzas as aircraft, and I am sure that most
Bonanza owners are fine, safe, concientious pilots (Hi, pHIL!), but something
seems to attract bozos.

Alene calls this the "Cadillac driiver" phenomemon, as she has noticed that
a disproportionate number of Cadillacs seem to be driven by jerks.

Oddly, though, I was talking to one of the LVK controllers once and he
said that the worst things he saw when at SFO were inevitably PanAm
planes or Mooneys.  He theorized that PanAm captains came in, drove
over to PAO and took off in their Mooney...

  --berry

(If you are with PanAm or fly a Mooney or Bonanza, I don't mean to
offend you.  THese are general observations and not all mine even.
Specific people are different; probably MOST Bonanzas, Mooneys and
Clippers are fine!  It's the few bad apples...)