[comp.sys.ridge] Ridge demise?

hare@cs.purdue.EDU (Steve Hare) (01/24/89)

The recent rumor heard on the street is that Ridge Computers will no longer be
around in several months. Anyone care to comment on the accuracy of this
statement or care to just speculate??

Steve Hare
Manager of Research Facilities
Purdue University
hare@cs.purdue.edu
-------------
Standard Disclaimer: My opinions are my own and not those of my employer.

mike@suns.UMD.EDU (Mike Briley) (01/24/89)

In article <5881@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> hare@cs.purdue.EDU (Steve Hare) writes:
>The recent rumor heard on the street is that Ridge Computers will no longer be
>around in several months. Anyone care to comment on the accuracy of this
>statement or care to just speculate??
>
>Steve Hare
>Manager of Research Facilities
>Purdue University
>hare@cs.purdue.edu
>-------------
>Standard Disclaimer: My opinions are my own and not those of my employer.

   Yes, I'm afraid it is true.  We have received word from Ridge that they
will stop all manufacturing by the end of March.  If you can get an order
in before January 31, you can get your hands on some "attractively priced"
used equipment!  All hardware and software contracts will be handled by
some third party vendor.
   Its really a shame to see them go.  We have a Ridge 32 here that's been
running for 4.5 years without a hitch.  It may look like a washer/dryer,
but the hardware is great!  We also have a number Suns that seem to be
much less reliable in the hardware department.
                                            -mike briley
                                            -Univeristy of Maryland School
                                             for Famous Astronomers

mdh@srhqla.UUCP (Matt Hardin) (01/26/89)

In article <5881@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> hare@cs.purdue.EDU (Steve Hare) writes:
>The recent rumor heard on the street is that Ridge Computers will no longer be
>around in several months. Anyone care to comment on the accuracy of this
>statement or care to just speculate??

We received a letter in the mail from Larry Lunetta of Ridge saying something
like this:

We made lots of money selling off the remaining 3200's that we could build.
Nobody (including Bull Corp) wants any more 3200's.
We're closing up shop.
Don't worry - a third party maintenance company will take over maintenance.

That's a summary of the letter we got. We had an idea that they were going
to pull something like this anyway, so we bought a Pyramid 9825 (faster and
better than a Ridge 3200) last October. We are in the final phases of
porting our software to the Pyramid. When we complete the port and go "live",
we will be de-commissioning the Ridge and stripping out the disk drives for
use on the Pyramid. The Ridge will then be put up for sale. Anyone interested?

				Matt Hardin
				SilentRadio Headquarters, Los Angeles
				UUCP: {pyramid,csun,pacbell}!srhqla!mdh
				Smart mailers use mdh@srhqla.UUCP

Standard Disclaimer: My opinions are my own and not those of my employer.