[sci.lang.japan] words order in English and Japanese

biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) (01/19/88)

In article <1671@russell.STANFORD.EDU>,
	nakashim@russell.stanford.edu (Hideyuki Nakashima) writes:
>I came up with a theory to explain the difference in word orders
>between English and Japanese.  This is a very naive theory.  Any
>comments are welcome.
>
>In English, verbs come very early in the sentence.  Second position in
>declarative and the first position in imperative.  In Japanese, verbs
>come at the end of sentences.
> [goes on to hypothesize that this might be the result of a hunters/farmers
>  difference: (English) hunters need to be understood quickly.]

[Others mention:
	- Farming appeared much earlier in Britain than in Japan
	- Latin has verbs at the end too, French hasn't.
		]

In article <275@draken.nada.kth.se>,
	d85-kai@nada.kth.se (Kai-Mikael J{{-Aro) writes:
>Verbs usually come at the end of sentences in German as well and I'm
>not convinced that the Germans are more of a farming people than the
>English. (In fact, English *is* a Germanic language.)

German (and Dutch) seem to form something like an intermediary form between
English/French and Latin: in top-level sentences verbs come in the second
position, and in lower-level ones they come at the end:

Dutch examples:
Ik *zie* hem  (I *see* him)
Morgen *zal* ik hem zien  (Tomorrow *shall* I him see -- note the inversion,
	necessary to keep the verb at the second place!)
Ik *geloof*, dat ik hem *zie* (I *believe*, that I him *see* -- in the
	second-level sentence, the verb appears at the end.)

This feature makes, that one cannot just call a parser recursively on
sub-sentences, like in English: the first level has other rules than the
rest.

A specialty of Dutch is furthermore, that the form of the verb can depend on
whether the subject comes before or after it:

Jij *loopt* daar (You walk there)
Daar *loop* jij (There walk you -- note the missing "t"!)
--
						Biep.  (biep@cs.vu.nl via mcvax)
	"Law" is the name given to a collection of rules describing

bobcoe@cca.CCA.COM (Robert K. Coe) (01/20/88)

In article <975@klipper.cs.vu.nl> biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) writes:
#In article <1671@russell.STANFORD.EDU>,
#	nakashim@russell.stanford.edu (Hideyuki Nakashima) writes:
#>I came up with a theory to explain the difference in word orders
#>between English and Japanese.  This is a very naive theory.  Any
#>comments are welcome.

I have to wonder what Nakashima would make of the Polynesian languages
(Hawaiian et al), in which the very distinction between nouns and verbs is at
most weak and unconvincing.
--
=>  Robert K. Coe                                *       bobcoe@cca.cca.com  <=
=>  Computer Corporation of America              *                           <=

ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) (01/21/88)

In article <23431@cca.CCA.COM>, bobcoe@cca.CCA.COM (Robert K. Coe) writes:
> In article <975@klipper.cs.vu.nl> biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) writes:
> I have to wonder what Nakashima would make of the Polynesian languages
> (Hawaiian et al), in which the very distinction between nouns and verbs is at
> most weak and unconvincing.

While it is true that *individual words* "bases" are not readily classifiable
as nouns, verbs, adjectives &c (many words in Maaori are so-called
"universals" which means they can be all three), it is nevertheless the case
that noun PHRASES and verb PHRASES are clearly distinct.  There is a set of
particles which can begin a verb phrase, and there is a set of particles
which can begin a noun phrase, and there is very little overlap or confusion.
For example, in
	Kua waiata teenei tangata
	---
	Has sung   that   man
the particle Kua tells us that we've got a verb phrase, but in
	Kei te rongo a Hoani ki ngaa waiata
			        ----
	is listening John    to the  songs
the article Ngaa (the/plural) tells us that we've got a (plural) noun phrase.

ut6y@hp1.ccs.cornell.edu (Uncle Mikey (Michael Scott Shappe)) (01/22/88)

In article <975@klipper.cs.vu.nl> biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) writes:
>	- Latin has verbs at the end too, French hasn't.

In Classical Latin, the most important verb of the sentence comes last, true,
but other verbs (assuming more than a simple sence) needn't come in any
particular order, though they usually end off their clause.  In simple senten-
ces, the verb USUALLY comes last, but may appear anywhere the speaker feels
is appropriate to what s/he is trying to say, including first.

Uncle Mikey
Michael Scott Shappe -- Cornell University
BitNet: UT6Y@CRNLVAX5
Inter : UT6Y@vax5.ccs.cornell.edu, @hp1.ccs.cornell.edu
UUCP  : UT6Y@hp1.UUCP