[sci.lang.japan] Nihongo no waapuro

shorne@citron (Scott Horne) (07/04/88)

Does anyone know of a (preferably public-domain) Japanese word-processing
program?  It would be best to find one for the IBM PC or Mac; however, I have
access to many kinds of computers.

Thanks in advance.  (BTW, mail is shaky at best here; you might have to post.)

				--Scott Horne

BITNET:		PHORNE@CLEMSON (not working; please use another address)
uucp:		....!gatech!hubcap!scarle!{hazel,citron,amber}!shorne
		(If that doesn't work, send to cchang@hubcap.clemson.edu)
SnailMail:	Scott Horne
		812 Eleanor Dr.
		Florence, SC   29501
VoiceNet:	803 667-9848

greg@proxftl.UUCP (Gregory N. Hullender) (07/05/88)

In article <2095@hubcap.UUCP>, shorne@citron (Scott Horne) writes:
> Does anyone know of a (preferably public-domain) Japanese word-processing
> program?  It would be best to find one for the IBM PC or Mac; however, I have
> access to many kinds of computers.
>
> Thanks in advance.  (BTW, mail is shaky at best here; you might have to post.)

Okay; I posted.  Anyhow, someone else might be interested.

I've been doing quite a bit of work with Japanese lately (and I'm going to
post a summary someday . . .) and I've collected a fair bit of info.

For a Japanese WP with documentation in English, I suggest you try the
following:

	Carl Kay
	Japanese Language Services
	186 Lincoln St.
	Boston, MA 02111
	(617) 338-2211 (phone)
	(617) 338-4611 (fax)

If you're using it for your own personal education, he'll give you an
educational discount.

For the fellow who wanted Japanese fonts, I have a copy of a 16x16 JIS-1
font which is public domain.  If you'll send a floppy and a stamped
addressed envelope, I'll send it to you.

I also have a file that contains both kun and on pronunciations (in both
hiragana and romaji) for every Jooyoo Kanji.  This file is a bit of a mess,
but once I have it sorted out it's public domain too.
--
------
My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer.

	Greg Hullender  uflorida!novavax!proxftl!greg