[sci.lang.japan] NEmacs mailing list

kato@cs.titech.ac.jp (Akira Kato) (11/13/89)

The source code of Nemacs is available in the form of patches to
GNU emacs and patched source code at ftp.cs.titech.ac.jp (currently
[131.112.16.39]) by anonymous ftp:
	~ftp/JAPAN/nemacs2.1
		nemacs2.1 and egg
	~ftp/JAPAN/nemacs3.0
		nemacs3.0 without egg
	~ftp/JAPAN/nemacs3.1
		will be available in December

In order to use egg (kana-kanji conversion facility on nemacs),
you need jserver program in wnn v3 which is lisenced by Astec
Corp. You may find wnn v4 in ~ftp/contrib/XJ at expo.lcs.mit.edu,
however, there is no egg yet which speaks wnn v4 protocol.

Akira Kato, Tokyo Institute of Technology
kato@cs.titech.ac.jp

edwards@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (mark edwards) (11/13/89)

In article <KATO.89Nov13024405@aya.cs.titech.ac.jp> kato@cs.titech.ac.jp (Akira Kato) writes:

>The source code of Nemacs is available in the form of patches to
>GNU emacs and patched source code at ftp.cs.titech.ac.jp (currently
>[131.112.16.39]) by anonymous ftp:
>	~ftp/JAPAN/nemacs2.1
>		nemacs2.1 and egg
>	~ftp/JAPAN/nemacs3.0
>		nemacs3.0 without egg
>	~ftp/JAPAN/nemacs3.1
>		will be available in December

 This is all fine and good but, doesn't nemacs require that you run
kterm instead of xterm?

 For those just wanting to read files with Japanese kanji and kanas wouldn't
jstevie (japanese version of the stevie vi clone) be much easier ? It still
requires kterm or something equally suitable.

Does anyone have a compiled version of kterm for Utrix 3.1 that they could
either send me or put in an anonymous ftp directory somewhere? (My machine
doesn't have enough disk space to extract Xterm, patch it and compile. At
least I don't think so. What are the requirements?)

thanks
mark

--
    edwards@vms.macc.wisc.edu
    UW-Madison, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706

kgk@cs.brown.edu (Keiji Kanazawa) (11/14/89)

General discussions of Japanese language software are not suited for
info-gnu-emacs, but let me just put this question to rest, since the
cat is out of the bag, as it were:

   From: edwards@dogie.macc.wisc.edu  (mark edwards)
   Date: 13 Nov 89 15:43:45 GMT

   <stuff deleted>, doesn't nemacs require that you run
   kterm instead of xterm?

Nemacs need not depend on kterm.  It can put up its own X window.
This is as with GNU Emacs in general.  Naturally, you will want fonts
suitable for displaying Japanese, but this is independent of any
terminal emulator.

Keiji Kanazawa
kgk@cs.brown.edu