[sci.lang.japan] Japanese Terminal Emulator for Windows wanted?

news@massey.ac.nz (USENET News System) (06/10/91)

Does anyone know of a terminal emulator for Windows that can handle
Japanese (or any other asian languages that use 2-byte encoding) ?

Please could you direct me to any such programs, or source that might
be of help.

Thanks very much in advance!

Alan

--
* Alan Stenhouse	         | Phone     +64 63 69099 ext. 7439
* School of Information Sciences | Fax.      +64 63 505611

cheung@srava.sra.co.jp (Cheung Wah Kheang) (06/11/91)

In article <580sis-b@massey.ac.nz> A.Stenhouse@massey.ac.nz writes:
>Does anyone know of a terminal emulator for Windows that can handle
>Japanese (or any other asian languages that use 2-byte encoding) ?
>
>Please could you direct me to any such programs, or source that might
>be of help.

(1) wterm version 4.2	(README files are all in Japanese.)
srawhb.sra.co.jp:pub/x11/wterm-kinput-srcpack.tar.Z [133.137.4.4]

(2) kterm-4.1.2	(supports display of Japanese, Chinese, and Korean text.)
clr.nmsu.edu:pub/misc/kterm-4.1.2.tar.Z [128.123.1.14]
export.lcs.mit.edu:contrib/kterm-4.1.2.tar.Z [18.30.0.238]
kum.kaist.ac.ke:pub/unix/Xstuffs/kterm-4.1.2.tar.Z [137.68.1.65]

Have fun!

				   cheung@sra.co.jp

okamoto@chigaku.souka.osakafu-u.ac.jp (Kenji Okamoto) (06/13/91)

In article <580sis-b@massey.ac.nz>, news@massey.ac.nz (USENET News System) writes:
> Does anyone know of a terminal emulator for Windows that can handle
> Japanese (or any other asian languages that use 2-byte encoding) ?

According to my knowledge, if you want to use Japanse on MS-Windows, you
have to prepare Japanese DOS and Japanese version of Win3.  Fortunately,
these are available from IBM Japan.

The Japanese DOS is named as DOS/V (about 20,000yen), which runs on a
AT/clone or PS/2 machine with VGA and about 2MB RAM.  I recommnend you
to use 386 (/SX) machine.

The Japanese version of Win3 (about 23,000yen), which also run
on a same machine.  Also I recommend 386 machines and above 3MB RAM.
This Win3 needs DOS/V to use Japanese.   If you installed these OS and
,what shall I say, OS attachment?(^_^), you can use many Terminal Emulators
for Japanese evenif it may not be made apparently for Japanese.   However,
this does not certify the use of Japanese completely.  Some problems may
arrise, if the software does not made for Japanese, such as the most
significant bit is used for the other purpose, something like that.

If you want to print out Japanese on printers, of course, you need Japanese
version of Epson printer :-)

 Kenji Okamoto  | Dept. of Earth Science, Univ. of Osaka Prefecture
     okamoto@chigaku.souka.osakafu-u.ac.jp  | FAX (0722)55-2981