[misc.jobs.offered] AMIGA C Programmer Needed, RELOCATION NOT REQUIRED

mjackso@hubcap.UUCP (Michael W Jackson) (01/10/89)

                       //||\
                      //  ||             **
                     //===||   ||=||=|\  ||   /||||\    /|||||
                \\  //    ||   || || ||  ||  ||   ||   ||   ||
                 \\//     ||   || || ||  ||   \|||||    \|||||/
                                              ||  ||
                                               \||/

                       **********************************
                       *  AMIGA  C  PROGRAMMER  NEEDED  *
                       *--------------------------------*
                       *     RELOCATION NOT REQUIRED    *
                       **********************************

                Reply with resume and sample of work to:

                               Omega Star Software
                               79 Palmetto Ave.
                               Newry, SC  29665

                or call if you like (NO COLLECT CALLS ACCEPTED!):

                         (803) 882-3602, and ask for Tom

      What's It All About?

         Omega Star Software, creators of AmigaDOS EXPRESS (sold by Bantam
      Electronic Publishing), is seeking an experienced Amiga C programmer
      for an exciting software development project!  Here are a few of the
      qualifications we would like you to have:

         *  4+ years of C language experience, with at least two years
            in Amiga C.  Non-commercial part-time Amiga experience is
            OK if you can show us some results.

         *  a working knowledge of coding IFF routines. (ProWrite FORM
            WORD and CBM's FORM ILBM helpful). Just familiarity with
            the meaning of IFF isn't really enough!

         *  a working knowledge of coding Windows and Menus.

         *  an in-depth understanding of AmigaDOS v1.3!

         *  your own Amiga 500/1000/2000 with a hard disk, at least
            1MB RAM, and the Lattice C Compiler (at least v4.0)

      If you're interested in working with us, drop us your resume via the
      U.S. Mail.  If you'd like more information, you can call Tom any time
      between 9 AM and 9 PM at (803) 882-3602. PLEASE DO NOT CALL COLLECT!

      You can also reply/send your resume email to:

      ...!gatech!hubcap!mjackso

mwjones@lotus.waterloo.edu (01/13/89)

In article <4049@hubcap.UUCP> mjackso@hubcap.UUCP (Michael W Jackson) writes:
[An add from a company looking for an Amiga Programmer]

First, I'd like to know why they are posting this article to comp.sys.amiga.
I don't see the work "jobs" in the newsgroup title anywhere.  Or perhaps
this organization feels that the net is here simply to support them.

>                Reply with resume and sample of work to:
>                               Omega Star Software
>                               Newry, SC  29665
>
>      qualifications we would like you to have:
>         *  4+ years of C language experience, with at least two years
>            in Amiga C.

So in other words, if you didn't own an Amiga 1000 with Dos 1.0 forget it.

>         *  an in-depth understanding of AmigaDOS v1.3!

And if you didn't work for Commodore writing the new Dos, they're not
interested.

>         *  your own Amiga 500/1000/2000 with a hard disk, at least
>            1MB RAM, and the Lattice C Compiler (at least v4.0)
>      If you'd like more information, you can call Tom any time
>      between 9 AM and 9 PM at (803) 882-xxxx. PLEASE DO NOT CALL COLLECT!

And of course they're too cheap to lend you a compiler or cover your long
distance charges.

Do you really want to work for an organization like this?  I sure wouldn't.

--
Morgan Jones                  mwjones@lotus.uwaterloo.ca
"BMATH - 3 months and counting ..."

In article <10730@watdragon.waterloo.edu> mwjones@lotus.waterloo.edu () writes:
>In article <4049@hubcap.UUCP> mjackso@hubcap.UUCP (Michael W Jackson) writes:
>[An add from a company looking for an Amiga Programmer]
>
>First, I'd like to know why they are posting this article to comp.sys.amiga.
>I don't see the work "jobs" in the newsgroup title anywhere.  [ ... ]

	It was in the Newsgroups: line.  It was posted to both
comp.sys.amiga and misc.jobs.offered simultaneously (just like this message
(only this message has followups directed to c.s.a only)).

>So in other words, if you didn't own an Amiga 1000 with Dos 1.0 forget it.
> [ ... ]
>And if you didn't work for Commodore writing the new Dos, they're not
>interested.
> [ ... ]
>And of course they're too cheap to lend you a compiler or cover your long
>distance charges.

	Hey.  Be nice.  Here's a company who wants to enter the Amiga market.
Let me repeat that.  A company that *wants to enter* the Amiga market.  How
many of those do you see?

	And you're going to scare him off with sarcasm?  Half of those
requirements were written by a Mindless Perso#ne#l (I still don't know how
to spell it, but the pattern should match) Droid.  It is not unusual to ask
for two years experience of applicants.  For the Amiga, it really ought to
be a requirement.  I've been doing this for about three years, and I still
don't have all the Amiga Merit Badges.

	As for asking that you have your own machine, that is a wee bit
suspect, but you could always view it as the employer trying to discover who
*really* uses the machine, as opposed to some generic C or ASM programmer
who likes walking all over the OS.

>Do you really want to work for an organization like this?  I sure wouldn't.

	Do what you like, guy.  I'm happy we've got someone new in town.
Let's hope they pan out to be good guys.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac