[comp.windows.misc] Requested - ideas on graphical pipes

rjf@eagle.UUCP (06/01/87)

@eagle.ukc.ac.uk> rjf@ukc.ac.uk (R.J.Faichney) writes:
>In article <6787@mimsy.UUCP> steve@mimsy.UUCP (Steve D. Miller) writes:
>>[..]
>>If anyone does an implementation for SunView, NeWS, or X, I'd love to
>>take a look...
>>
>>	-Steve
>
>I'm working on something like this (actually, The Interconnection of Highly
>Interactive Software Modules) right now, supported by the UK Science and
>Engineering Research Council. An actual product is not the aim of this
>research - we are in the early stages yet - but there may be a by-product.
>Please email me if you are interested.

I've  since  come  to  the  conclusion  that,  in  the  cir-
cumstances,  not  to  utilise the massive net.brainpower out
there would be a criminal  waste  of  resources.  So,  below
you'll  find  a  little more detail on what I'm doing, and I
hope that it will stimulate further discussion, even if only
to tell me that I'm barking up a gum tree.

The general idea is to design and implement a pipe  analogue
for  graphics-interfaced (WIMPS) programmes. Now, the reason
why you can't simply send the output of one  WIMPS  prog  to
the  input  of another, is that instead of being a character
stream, as in the good old days, it's all sorts of rasterops
and similar assorted nasties. But, if the prog is structured
properly (you never know) then all this  graphics  stuff  is
confined  to  the  user  interface.  (For simplicity, say we
confine it to text manipulating progs for the  moment.)  The
application  functionality,  and  therefore  the application
(using the word here as opposed  to  user  interface)  func-
tions,  should  be exactly as in the old glass-teletype ver-
sion.  So why not grab information between application func-
tions and user interface, and send it off to the other progs
app func, bypassing both UIs?

What I'm actually proposing here, is that, given  some  sort
of  interconnection standard, and perhaps an interconnection
toolkit analogous to a UI toolkit, a third layer  is  inter-
posed  between  UI and app func, which will allow any two or
more  progs  appropriately  designed  and  implemented,   to
exchange  data  and/or  commands  to  their  hearts content.
(Thanks to Gilbert Cockton for the  three  component  model,
though  his  was  intended to solve different problems.) The
app func won't know whether anything it gets is coming  from
'its own' UI, or another prog altogether (or maybe a command
file), and the UI won't know whether what it's  handling  is
going to 'its own' app func and/or another prog and/or being
written to a command file.

It's difficult to  envisage  any  sort  of  widely  accepted
interconnection  standard  in the foreseeable future, but at
least producers of software tools (like our  Software  Tools
Group here at UKC) might find this a practical way of ensur-
ing that their own products  can  communicate,  should  they
wish  to  do  so - and it's a fairly safe bet that many more
than at present would wish to do so, if they thought it  was
practical.

So - what I want to know is, are my colleagues merely  being
nice  to  me, or is this a good idea? Any and all comments -
especially on what facilities you'd like to see in an inter-
connection   toolkit  (I  already  have  an  interconnection
server: a sort of computer program dating  bureau)  and  how
these  might  be  implemented - gratefully received. Post or
email as you think fit.

Robin Faichney     rjf@uk.ac.ukc   ...mcvax!ukc!rjf

carlson@lll-tis.UUCP (06/02/87)

In article <3054@eagle.ukc.ac.uk> rjf@ukc.ac.uk (R.J.Faichney) writes:
>In article <3042@eagle.ukc.ac.uk> rjf@ukc.ac.uk (R.J.Faichney) writes:
>>In article <6787@mimsy.UUCP> steve@mimsy.UUCP (Steve D. Miller) writes:

Perhaps we need a group, comp.ui for user interfaces.  Or will the windows
groups handle it?

John Carlson

Internet:  carlson@lll-tis.arpa
UUCP:		lll-lcc!lll-tis!carlson