[comp.windows.misc] Best window system & Why

bobr@zeus.TEK.COM (Robert Reed) (01/28/88)

I haven't played with an Apollo WS for nearly a year, but one of my lack of
programmability frustrations with the DM was that there was no way to write
to the title bar (to do things like indicate current directory, etc.).
There were lots of other frustrations, but this is one I haven't seen
mentioned yet.
--
Robert Reed, Tektronix CAE Systems Division, bobr@zeus.TEK

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (02/06/88)

This discussion so far has mainly discussed the differences between
window manager user interfaces, not the window systems themselves.  I'd
be interested in hearing what people have to say about the deeper
issues.  Here are some things that concern me right now:

1.  The NeWS server is completely and dynamically extensible.  At any
time, the client can download functions or programs for the server to
execute.  In X, these functions must all run on the client side (also
possible in NeWS, but not necessary), thus requiring much more
communication between the client and sever.  Extensibility is especially
important for fast mouse interaction and sophisticated graphics output
(such as 3D).  The NeWS language is object-oriented, with a lightweight
process capability, to make the programming easy.  Yes, I've heard about
the limited compile-time extensibility of X, mainly that it doesn't
really work.

2. The NeWS interface to C sucks.  The X interface to C is much nicer,
with a rich Xlib and Xtk.  SunView 2.0 for NeWS has been mentioned on
the net, but I haven't seen it yet.

3. I've heard people complain about X's limited usefulness with future,
advanced hardware, while NeWS should be easily extended.  I'm not
really familiar with this issue, but would appreciate other people's
comments.

Thanks.

Ken

mday@cgl.ucsf.edu (Mark Day) (02/09/88)

In article <828@daisy.UUCP> klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) writes:
>2. The NeWS interface to C sucks.  The X interface to C is much nicer,
>with a rich Xlib and Xtk.  SunView 2.0 for NeWS has been mentioned on
>the net, but I haven't seen it yet.

At the recent Sun User's Group meeting, Sun claimed that all Beta testing
was done, and the new version of NeWs would ship in mid-January.  Does
anyone at Sun, or any of the beta test sites have a revised estimate for
its ship date?

----------
		Mark Day
UUCP:		..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!mday
ARPA:		mday@cgl.ucsf.edu
BITNET:		mday@ucsfcgl.BITNET

montnaro@sprite.uucp (Skip Montanaro) (02/09/88)

In article <10683@cgl.ucsf.EDU> mday@socrates.ucsf.edu.UUCP (Mark Day) writes:
>At the recent Sun User's Group meeting, Sun claimed that all Beta testing
>was done, and the new version of NeWs would ship in mid-January.  Does
>anyone at Sun, or any of the beta test sites have a revised estimate for
>its ship date?

Funny, Sun never told us that the beta test was over. (We beta tested
both 1.0 and 1.1.) Of course, they weren't very good about responding
to bug reports either. I finally gave up sending them beta and bug
reports. I will admit I could have been more diligient on the beta
reports.

To answer your original question: No we've received no indication of
the NeWS 1.1 ship date, nor have we received a tape.

Skip (montanaro@ge-crd.arpa, uunet!steinmetz!sprite!montanaro)

david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) (02/10/88)

In article <9469@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, montnaro@sprite.uucp (Skip Montanaro) writes:
> In article <10683@cgl.ucsf.EDU> mday@socrates.ucsf.edu.UUCP (Mark Day) writes:
> >At the recent Sun User's Group meeting, Sun claimed that all Beta testing
> >was done, and the new version of NeWs would ship in mid-January.  Does
> >anyone at Sun, or any of the beta test sites have a revised estimate for
> >its ship date?

> To answer your original question: No we've received no indication of
> the NeWS 1.1 ship date, nor have we received a tape.

From a press release I have just received by Sun about NeWS,
put out at Uniforum:

"NeWS release 1.1 is currently shipping and lists for $100 per copy for
Sun workstations."

--
	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov	  ARPA

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (02/18/88)

> Of course, it would be a lot easier for people to develop informed
> opinions on NeWS if Sun were to freely release the source for the server

	I don't see why having or not having source should change your mind
about how easy or hard it is to write NeWS applications, how well or poorly
the documention is written, how buggy the system is, etc.  I used to be a
hard-core "must have source" person, but I've lately started to come off my
high horse about that.  Given a choice between buggy source and high
quality binaries, I'll take the binaries any day.  (And no, I'm not saying
that X is buggy.)
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

wesommer@athena.mit.edu (William E. Sommerfeld) (02/18/88)

In article <3146@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>> Of course, it would be a lot easier for people to develop informed
>> opinions on NeWS if Sun were to freely release the source for the server
>Given a choice between buggy source and high
>quality binaries, I'll take the binaries any day.  (And no, I'm not saying
>that X is buggy.)

Given the choice between buggy binary distributions and doing without,
I'll do without.

In our environment at Athena[0], we'd rather have buggy source than
"perfect" binaries because we can probably fix things we have source
for if they become a problem.

There's _no such thing_ as a nontrivial bug-free program.  (TeX comes
close, but very few companies are as good at quality control as Donald
Knuth).

If we have the source we can at least understand the real nature of
the bug (rather than making guesses based on its erroneous behavior,
which are typically completely wrong), have a better idea of how to
make it reproducible, and also probably be able to fix it. [1]

When you consider how hard it is to coordinate binary distributions to
two completely different systems (MicroVAX and IBM RT), this is a real
problem.  We are under a large amount of pressure from our donors (DEC
and IBM) to make the environment on both classes of workstations
identical.  Binary-only distributions and highly restrictive
non-disclosure agreements on sources only get in the way of this.

By the way, after reading parts of the NFS source, I feel real sorry
for those of you out there who run binary-only Sun sites..  I was
tempted to include a hex dump of a few "interesting" packets that will
crash your average Sun RPC based service, but discretion prevailed.

I used to think that binary-only distributions were sort of OK, but my
work here has convinced me that it's not worth my time to have to
fight with software that I don't have the source for.

					- Bill

[0] ~700 workstations and growing: 1/2 DEC MicroVAXes running
4.3BSD+NFS, 1/2 IBM RT's running 4.3BSD+NFS, being managed by a crew
of less than 100 people, of which at most 10-20 could really be
considered "wizards".

[1] If we at least have a symbol table, we can disassemble parts of
the binary and at least have an idea as to what is going on (for
example, when we discovered that the date conversion routine of a
certain database system[2] goes into an infinite loop on the first of the
year only _after_ we built our service management database using
it..), but that's rather painful to do in the general case.

[2] Well, since you asked, RTI Ingres version 5.