[comp.windows.misc] Comparing NeWS and X

zwicky@pterodactyl.cis.ohio-state.edu (Elizabeth D. Zwicky) (02/19/88)

How's this for a reasonably educated comparison?

We run X and NeWS. We have reasonably expert programmers in both.
Recently, two competent (to say the least) C programmers with
considerable UNIX experience (and no experience in programming either
 window system) set out to write graphic front ends for programs, one
in X and one in NeWS. Both programs took approximately the same amount
of time to write. (The X in question is X10; the NeWS is 1.1 *very* beta)

*But* there were some differences. The NeWS programmer had a much
lower level of frustration. The code for the NeWS program is shorter.
The NeWS program has a better user interface, because its programmer
could  afford to spend more time on the user interface. Finally,
the X programmer wants to write future programs in NeWS, and *not*
in X, while the NeWS programmer also wants to write future programs
in NeWS. (My favorite measure here is "number of times programmer
publicly expressed a desire to bang his head against the wall";
NeWS is the clear winner here, with only 1 or 2, compared to X's
about 1 a day.)

Obviously, this leaves a lot of unanswered questions about NeWS'
advantages, but it does seem to indicate that all other things
being equal, it's easier to program.

	Elizabeth Zwicky

david@geac.UUCP (David Haynes) (02/26/88)

In article <6861@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> zwicky@pterodactyl.cis.ohio-state.edu (Elizabeth D. Zwicky) writes:
>How's this for a reasonably educated comparison?

OK as far as it goes, but how far is that?

>We run X and NeWS. We have reasonably expert programmers in both.
>Recently, two competent (to say the least) C programmers with
>considerable UNIX experience (and no experience in programming either
> window system) set out to write graphic front ends for programs, one
>in X and one in NeWS. Both programs took approximately the same amount
>of time to write. (The X in question is X10; the NeWS is 1.1 *very* beta)
>
>*But* there were some differences. The NeWS programmer had a much
>lower level of frustration. The code for the NeWS program is shorter.
>The NeWS program has a better user interface, because its programmer
>could  afford to spend more time on the user interface. Finally,
>the X programmer wants to write future programs in NeWS, and *not*
>in X, while the NeWS programmer also wants to write future programs
>in NeWS. (My favorite measure here is "number of times programmer
>publicly expressed a desire to bang his head against the wall";
>NeWS is the clear winner here, with only 1 or 2, compared to X's
>about 1 a day.)

So, from a programming perspective it appears that it is easier to
deal with NeWs than with X. I have no difficulty with that.

>Obviously, this leaves a lot of unanswered questions about NeWS'
>advantages, but it does seem to indicate that all other things
>being equal, it's easier to program.
>
>	Elizabeth Zwicky

Yes, and if that is your only criteria for making the selection, NeWs
is the way to go. However, most of us have to factor in a vast number
of variables in order to make a choice of which system to use.
Consider the following factors: (not ranked in any way)

	Cost of the development package.
	Cost of associated royalties
	Performance
	Presentational concepts (artistic merit)
	Distributability
	Extensibility
	Flexibility
	Base of installation
	General market demand
	Difficulty to program
	Degree to which the design philosophy matches your own
	Vendor support

etc. etc. etc.

This whole ``My windowing system is better than your windowing system''
argument sounds suspiciously like DEC reps asking me why I would ever
program in UNIX when VMS is so much better. The point is, the one that
satisfies your needs the most wins.

-david-

p.s. Having said all this, let me assure you readers that I use both
X and NeWs and Suntools and a number of other WIMPS packages and have
not made up my mind which makes me most comfortable yet.

(WIMPS - Window, Icon, Mouse-Pointer Systems ;-) )
--
David Haynes
Geac Computers International Inc.