[comp.windows.misc] Well, I'm impressed.

Well, after following the threads of discussion here for a while longer,
NeWS is looking more and more desirable. How UNIX-dependent is NeWS, and
how tightly can you compile display PostScript. Also, are NeWS or DP very
proprietary? I think the ever-more-baroque growth of System V is showing
just what the problem is with a proprietary standard that doesn't get the
advantage of competing sub- and super-sets.

NeWS looks like a natural for systems with efficient lightweight processes
like the Amiga.
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

dsc@izimbra.CSS.GOV (manic pop thrill) (03/02/88)

In article <1500@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Well, after following the threads of discussion here for a while longer,
>NeWS is looking more and more desirable. How UNIX-dependent is NeWS, and
>how tightly can you compile display PostScript. Also, are NeWS or DP very

in answer to your first question, there have been ports of news to the
macintosh running native mac os, the atari st as well as the amiga.

dsc

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (03/08/88)

In article <7804@uunet.UU.NET> dsc@izimbra.CSS.GOV (manic pop thrill) writes:

> ...there have been ports of news to the
>macintosh running native mac os, the atari st as well as the amiga.

Great! Anyone for a PC port?

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (03/11/88)

In article <355@pvab.UUCP>, robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) writes:
> In article <7804@uunet.UU.NET> dsc@izimbra.CSS.GOV (manic pop thrill) writes:

# # ...there have been ports of news to the
# # macintosh running native mac os, the atari st as well as the amiga.

# Great! Anyone for a PC port?

Santa Cruz Operations has made an agreement with Sun (according to
one the trade rags i read) to license their NeWS/X11 merge...i suspect
this is only for Xenix.

Anyone know of any ports to MS-DOS ?

My opionions are mine alone.