[comp.windows.misc] UI expectations and firsts

hds@io.UUCP (H.David Scarbro) (03/23/88)

I would like to add a little historical and rational perspective to the
following comments made by Mark F.  Vita (vita@desdemona.steinmetz.ge.com).

> I think what the original poster meant by "inconsistent use of mouse
> buttons" is when different applications use the same buttons to perform
> completely different user interface actions; for example, some
> applications use the right button for menus, some use the middle
> button; some use the middle button to extend selections, some don't.

> Also, putting up Interleaf as an example of inconsistency in the
> Macintosh interface is extremely misleading.  Interleaf is NOT a
> Macintosh application.  It's a Sun application that was ported to the
> Mac, complete with it's brain-damaged abomination of a user interface.
> (brain-damaged even by Sun application standards).
>
> >FYI. Sun also has a chapter in their SunView Programmer's book on Sun user
> >interface design.
>
> Yeah.  Obviously the people at Interleaf haven't read it. :-)

> Note that I'm not saying that all SunView user interfaces are bad.
> Some are very good (example: FrameMaker.  Wonder where they got their
> inspiration? :-).  But by and large, they just aren't consistent
> with each other.

Interleaf developed it's window system, user interface and desktop
manager before there was a Sun window system.  The first release of
our software and the first release of SunWindows (with SunOs 2.0) were
made at about the same time.

All current versions of Interleaf allow a user to mouse in either
Interleaf (middle button menus) or Sun (right button menus) consistent
fashion.

Having our own window system and UI toolkit has made it possible to
port our software to five different hardware platforms (basically all
of today's major engineering workstations).  Running in this
diversity, we find ourselves in the middle of the user interface
controversy.  On the one hand, we developed our own interface at the
same time or before those running on the various machines.  On the
other hand, our software is used by a wide range of people with very
diverse expectations.

It isn't unreasonable to expect an application (like Interleaf) to
have the "look and feel" that is the norm for a particular
workstation.  With the exception of the Mac, user interface toolkits
are just becoming a reality. It wasn't until SunView 1.0 that Sun had
anything resembling one. We have moved--and will continue to move--our
interface towards the native interfaces of the various platforms on
which we run.

If the Mac interface is the only acceptable interface, then much of
what the author says follows. But it's possible, despite the author's
implications, that there is merit to interfaces other than the Mac's.
For example, consider two of Interleaf's UI firsts:

The first is "intelligent defaulting" for hierarchical popup menus.
With "intelligent defaulting", a popup appears with with its default
selected.  The default is initially the most frequently used command
on the popup.  After another command is performed on the popup, it
normally becomes the default.  However, there are cases where one
command implies another should become the default.  A simple example
is "cut" and "paste".  Paste is the default command following cut.
This simple anticipation mechanism eliminates a lot of tedious popup
menu navigation.

The second is using a timeout to eliminate displaying a popup.  If the menu
button is depressed and released within a .25 of a second, the popup menu is
not displayed, but the default command from the popup is performed.

But, as the letter to which this is a reply makes clear, I guess you
can't please everyone.

---
H. David Scarbro
Interleaf, Inc., Ten Canal Park, Cambridge, MA 02141
UUCP: ..!{sun!sunne,mit-eddie}!ileaf!hds

vita@falstaff.steinmetz (Mark F. Vita) (03/24/88)

In article <565@io.UUCP> hds@io.UUCP (H.David Scarbro) writes:
>Interleaf developed it's window system, user interface and desktop
>manager before there was a Sun window system.  The first release of
>our software and the first release of SunWindows (with SunOs 2.0) were
>made at about the same time.

Well, it's been roughly two years since the introduction of SunView
and the publication of Sun's user interface guidelines. The excuse
that "our interface was invented before SunView" is starting to wear a
bit thin.  It seems to me that there has been ample opportunity to
bring the Interleaf interface up to standard.

>It isn't unreasonable to expect an application (like Interleaf) to
>have the "look and feel" that is the norm for a particular
>workstation.

Yes, this is precisely my point.

>With the exception of the Mac, user interface toolkits
>are just becoming a reality. It wasn't until SunView 1.0 that Sun had
>anything resembling one.

Well, as I've pointed out, SunView has been a "reality" for quite some
time now.  Certainly enough time for some of your competitors to
develop entire applications which *do* conform to SunView.

>We have moved--and will continue to move--our
>interface towards the native interfaces of the various platforms on
>which we run.

I'm glad to hear it.

>If the Mac interface is the only acceptable interface, then much of
>what the author says follows.

I don't recall ever saying that the Mac interface is the only
acceptable interface.  What exists of the SunView standard is
perfectly "acceptable".  However, I do not find the Interleaf
interface "acceptable".

>But it's possible, despite the author's
>implications, that there is merit to interfaces other than the Mac's.
>For example, consider two of Interleaf's UI firsts:
>
>The first is "intelligent defaulting" for hierarchical popup menus.
>The second is using a timeout to eliminate displaying a popup.
>But, as the letter to which this is a reply makes clear, I guess you
>can't please everyone.

Again, I never said that any interface which is not a Mac interface is
without merit.  You have pointed out two nice features of the
Interleaf interface (in fact, without the first one, the interface
would be almost completely unbearable).  However, the existence of
such features does not do much to help the fact that the Interleaf
interface, overall, is extremely annoying and frustrating to use,
especially for someone who routinely uses other SunView applications.

Let me just clarify; my beef with the Interleaf interface isn't just
that it's nonstandard, but also that it's basically a terrible,
aggravating, nonintuitive interface.  It isn't just an issue as to
which mouse button brings up the menu.  The interface needs a complete
overhaul.

----
Mark Vita                              ARPA: vita@ge-crd.ARPA
General Electric Company               UUCP: vita@desdemona.steinmetz.UUCP