[comp.windows.misc] modes?

tony@linus.UUCP (Tony E. Davis) (04/07/88)

Article 492 of comp.windows.misc:
From: diamant@hpfclp.HP.COM (John Diamant)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.misc
Subject: Re: Re: A/UX window systems, Mac tool...( Hum Interface) (calibration)
Date: 1 Apr 88 23:32:20 GMT

>> It is impossible to define modedness well enough to allow experimental
>> comparisons of moded and non-moded systems.  The sentence is cute, but ...
>> Gilbert Cockton, Scottish HCI Centre, Heriot-Watt University, Chambers St.,

> Not true.  Emacs is a good example of a modeless editor (in contrast to
> vi).  Now, I know you are immediately going to object (if you are familiar ...
> [John Diamant, SDE, Hewlett-Packard Co., Fort Collins, CO]

vi doesn't have modes, although it does have some commands that may
take exceptionally long arguments :-).

(I hope the point is clear.)

Tony Davis                                                       (617) 271-2146
The MITRE Corporation    MS A114    Burlington Road   Bedford, MA 01730  U.S.A.
tony@linus.b.mitre.org         linus!tony         tony%linus@mitre-bedford.ARPA