[comp.windows.misc] X-Windows price for A/UX

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (04/29/88)

In article <4477@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:

> You get full client source with NeWS, so you can run the clients anywhere
> that has a C compiler and TCP/IP.  Tahoes should be no problem.

Heh, heh, as long as your "anywhere" supports Unix-style (or is it 4.2-style?
Sun's not exactly famous for cosmopolitanism) system calls, and the display
hardware looks a lot like a Sun's, and the TCP/IP interface looks a lot
like 4.2, and...

Even if all these things are true, people who have done it can testify that
porting rarely translates to a simple 1-hour recompilation project.  If they
aren't true, the $2100 John quoted won't even buy 2 weeks of a programmer to
get things to actually work.

> I'd be glad to sell you NeWS binaries without support for $2100, Guido...

I think I'll take you up on that, John.  I want them to run on a '386 under
System V, using an IBM EGA-lookalike for graphics, with Excelan networking
hardware and TCP/IP software.  Performing at least as well as the X-Windows
equivalent, of course.  And tested at least as well as H-P tests their stuff.
What are you charging for redistribution rights?
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   {uunet,trwrb}!desint!geoff