[comp.windows.misc] The Lawsuit, Standardization, and Whiny DOS Users...

tedi@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Edward M. Ives) (04/16/88)

 Ok, at the request of a beleaguered netter, I'm leaping into the fray:

  The one thing I CAN'T stand is people saying that Standardization will be
hindered if Apple wins, and therefore THAT is why Apple should lose.

  Although the jury is obviously still out, Apple either has a valid claim or
does not.

  For the purpose of argument, let's ASSUME it DOES have a valid claim (giving
Apple the benefit of the doubt).  (Note : I have no idea if Apple does have
a case - that's for the courts to decide.

  Proceeding from this assumption, then:
  Taking the view that, "Well it's better for corporations that are
hot to start buying PS/2's if Apple loses, therefore Apple should lose" would be
eqvivalent to saying that the government (or society) can engage in an
unauthorized taking without just compensation (if Apple's technology is indeed
their "property").  This is kind of against the tenets of the Constitution, and
if Apple DOES have a valid claim, this would be akin to saying, "Well, if
everyone in the world had a PC they'd be better off, so the government should
 force Apple to give Macintoshes away for free :-)

  Mac users took a lot of heat from the corporate IBM PC user types when the Mac
first came out, but now that it has become successful, the PC types are
basically whining "hey, that's a pretty good idea, can we play too?".
  But IF the courts decide  it is indeed Apple's ball and Apple doesn't want to
 let you play, you can't just beat it up and take the ball away - this
 is America...

                                    - Ted Ives
                                    ted.ives@dartmouth.edu

P.S. Ever notice any similarities? :

Apple II - 8-bit machine, open architecture, slots, keyboard, video, drive, 1979
IBM PC   - 8-bit machine, open architecture, slots, keyboard, video, drive, 1982
Macintosh - 32-bit, Mouse, Graphical User Interface, 3 1/2 inch disks,circa 1984
IBM PS/2's
with OS/2 - 32-bit, Mouse, Graphical User Interface, 3 1/2 inch disks,circa 1988

Does it seem entirely fair that each time Apple pioneers new ground, it has to
go through hell marketing the stuff, and then IBM just waltzes in and reaps
the profits?................

                                          - ted

"No one ever got fired for buying IBM...but no one who ever bought a Macintosh
 lived a life of quiet desparation, either...."

ralphw@IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) (04/19/88)

In article <8685@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> tedi@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Edward M. Ives) writes:
>  The one thing I CAN'T stand is people saying that Standardization will be
>hindered if Apple wins, and therefore THAT is why Apple should lose.
Good point(s)
>P.S. Ever notice any similarities? :
>
>Apple II - 8-bit machine, open architecture, slots, keyboard, video, drive, 1979
>IBM PC   - 8-bit machine, open architecture, slots, keyboard, video, drive, 1982
>Macintosh - 32-bit, Mouse, Graphical User Interface, 3 1/2 inch disks,circa 1984
>IBM PS/2's
>with OS/2 - 32-bit, Mouse, Graphical User Interface, 3 1/2 inch disks,circa 1988
BTW, Apple II was 1977, and I believe PC was late '81 (like, November)
I hope that Apple stays AT LEAST 4 years ahead of IBM as far as nifty
technology.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

hull@dinl.uucp (Jeff Hull) (04/20/88)

In article <8685@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> tedi@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Edward M. Ives) writes:
>  The one thing I CAN'T stand is people saying that Standardization will be
>hindered if Apple wins, and therefore THAT is why Apple should lose.

While I'm sure there is at least one person somewhere who is saying this ("No
one ever lost money underestimating the taste of the American public."), some
of us oppose Apple's suit onstronger grounds: (1) Apple is trying to copyright
an idea (which is contrary to current law) NOT an expression of an idea (which
can be protected); and (2) Apple is trying to copyright someone else's idea
(XEROX PARC).

BTW, Ted, there is also a legal concept called "restraint of trade" which is
illegal.  There seems to be some possibility the court will decide that is
an accurate description of what Apple is doing.

DEFINITION:  Setting up a strawman: creating your own, non-standard, definition
of something (which is easily rebutted) for the purpose of rebutting it &
thereby making other people who had previously been associated with the term
look bad.

--
Jeff Hull		...!hao!dinl!hull
1544 S. Vaughn Circle	303-750-3538	It was great when it all begaaaaan,

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (04/23/88)

In article <406@dinl.mmc.UUCP>, hull@dinl.uucp (Jeff Hull) writes:
> (2) Apple is trying to copyright someone else's idea
> (XEROX PARC).
I thought that too. However it seems that the scientist who did most
of the work on the GUI is now a fellow at apple and they say therefore they are
now entitled to the continuted fruits of his ideas.

Just how legal that contention is ?? Well thats up to the courts now.

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utzoo!lsuc!ncrcan!---\			VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623

rogue@well.UUCP (L. Brett Glass) (04/27/88)

> P.S. Ever notice any similarities? :

> Apple II - 8-bit machine, open architecture, slots, keyboard, video,
> drive, 1979
> IBM PC   - 8-bit machine, open architecture, slots, keyboard, video,
> drive, 1982

8-bit machine? News to me. If you're going to call the Mac a 32-bit machine,
you durn well ought to call the PC a 16-bit one.

> Macintosh - 32-bit, Mouse, Graphical User Interface, 3 1/2 inch disks,
> circa 1984

You forgot: Closed architecture, only 128K RAM, slowest floppy disk drives in
creation, no hard disk from Apple for YEARS, no multitasking until 1988
(and then only with some applications).

> IBM PS/2's with OS/2 - 32-bit, Mouse, Graphical User Interface,
> 3 1/2 inch disks,circa 1988

You forgot: Full 32-bit bus, open architecture, multitasking OS, runs existing
software base.

Sounds like IBM might have made some strides after all.

<rogue>

vita@sunbarney.steinmetz (Mark F. Vita) (04/27/88)

In article <5823@well.UUCP> rogue@well.UUCP (L. Brett Glass) writes:
>> P.S. Ever notice any similarities? :
>
>> Apple II - 8-bit machine, open architecture, slots, keyboard, video,
>> drive, 1979
>> IBM PC   - 8-bit machine, open architecture, slots, keyboard, video,
>> drive, 1982
>
>8-bit machine? News to me. If you're going to call the Mac a 32-bit machine,
>you durn well ought to call the PC a 16-bit one.

Fair enough.

>> Macintosh - 32-bit, Mouse, Graphical User Interface, 3 1/2 inch disks,
>> circa 1984
>
>You forgot: Closed architecture,

True, but as a former 128K Mac owner, I think that this was less of a
disadvantage than you might think.  Note that most of so-called
"expansion slots" in a PC are not used for "expansion" at all, but
rather for basic necessities such as a video controller, disk drive
controllers, clock chips, serial/parallel ports, etc. -- all of which
were *built in* to even the 128K Macintosh (along with the AppleTalk
networking capability).  I found that the only really important thing
that the lack of a bus made difficult was memory expansion.  (Although
note that on later, busless Macs such as the Mac Plus, memory
expansion was made much easier by the use of SIMM technology.  Opening
a Mac Plus and dropping in a couple of SIMMs is about as easy as
opening a PC and dropping in a memory card.)

> only 128K RAM,

This situation existed only for a short time.  As of 1986, the
standard Mac came with 1 megabyte of memory.  Right now, I can stick
up to 4 meg into my Mac, and have all of it fully addressable by the
operating system.  Whereas the typical PC is still saddled with the
640K limit (and don't even talk to me about this LIM expanded memory
bank-switching bogosity.)

>slowest floppy disk drives in creation,

This is a common misconception.  If you look at the benchmarks, you
will find that the original Mac drives are as fast as typical PC 5-1/4
drives.

>no hard disk from Apple for YEARS,

Yes, but hard disks were available.  Personally, it doesn't make much
difference to me whether my drive is from Apple or not.  Even now that
Apple sells hard disks, I wouldn't consider buying one -- they're just
too bloody expensive.  For the same reason, if I owned a PC, I would
probably not buy a hard disk from IBM.

>no multitasking until 1988,

Which is a lot sooner than multitasking will be available from IBM...

>(and then only with some applications).

Actually, ANY Mac application which is written to Apple's guidelines
should run fine under MultiFinder.  Of course, to take full advantage
of the multitasking, most programs need to be modified.  However, I
feel that this is a small price to pay in order to get the benefit of
multitasking, *now*.  Clearly, MultiFinder is a short-term solution,
but it gets the job done.

>> IBM PS/2's with OS/2 - 32-bit, Mouse, Graphical User Interface,
>> 3 1/2 inch disks,circa 1988
>
>You forgot: Full 32-bit bus,

You mean, like in the Mac II?

>open architecture,

Ah yes, as in the Mac II.

>multitasking OS,

Uh huh, Real Soon Now.  (By the way, MultiFinder is here *now*, it
works, and it IS multitasking.)

> runs existing software base.

This is a joke, right?

>Sounds like IBM might have made some strides after all.

Yep, they sure have.  They're striding right along in Apple's
footsteps. :-)

Let's just make up a little score card:

Things Apple did before IBM
---------------------------
Graphical user interface
Mouse
32-bit architecture
3-1/2 disk drives
Built-in video, disk drive controllers, clock chip, etc.
OS capable of addressing large amounts of memory
Multitasking

Things IBM did before Apple:
----------------------------
Open architecture (not even this if you count the Apple II...)

><rogue>

Note: Since this discussion is not really relevant to
comp.windows.misc, and has all the makings of a "PC x vs. PC y" holy
war, I have redirected followups to some more appropriate newsgroups.

----
Mark Vita                              ARPA: vita@ge-crd.ARPA
General Electric Company               UUCP: vita@desdemona.steinmetz.UUCP
Corporate R & D                              vita@desdemona.steinmetz.ge.com
Schenectady, NY                              desdemona!vita@steinmetz.UUCP

In article <5823@well.UUCP>, rogue@well.UUCP (L. Brett Glass) writes:
> [Macintosh:] Closed architecture, only 128K RAM, slowest floppy disk drives in
> creation...

The Commodore-64 has the slowest floppy disk drives in creation (effectively
about 1200 bps transfer rate), with the Atari 800 coming in second (about
9600 bps). Get your facts straight :->.
--
-- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter

In article <5823@well.UUCP>, rogue@well.UUCP (L. Brett Glass) writes:
> > P.S. Ever notice any similarities? :

Slightly edited:

> > Apple II - 8-bit machine, open architecture, slots, keyboard, video,
> > drive, 1979

> > IBM PC   - 8/16-bit machine, open architecture, slots, keyboard, video,
> > drive, 1982

> > Macintosh - 16/32-bit, Mouse, Graphical User Interface, 3 1/2 inch disks,
> > circa 1984
(add here: unclonable via legal protection)

Commodore Amiga - 16/32-bit, Mouse, GUI, 3.5" disks, real-time multitasking
operating system with exceptional performance, circa 1986. Tough to clone,
unfortunatly, because of all the high-performance graphics chips.

> > IBM PS/2's with OS/2 - 32-bit, Mouse, Graphical User Interface,
> > 3 1/2 inch disks,circa 1988
(add here: unclonable via legal protection)

> You forgot: Full 32-bit bus, open architecture, multitasking OS, runs existing
> software base.

You really think Presentation Manager is gonna make it by the end of the year?
--

tvillan@hpccc.HP.COM (Tim Villanueva) (05/07/88)

>You really think Presentation Manager is gonna make it by the end of the year?
>--
>-- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter

Depends you you define "make it".