[comp.windows.misc] Good MSWINDOWS comm program ?

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (09/29/88)

	Does anyone know of a good communications program that is FULLY
MSWINDOWS compatible ? It should have at least ANSI/VT100 emulation
(Tek 401X graphics emulation would be a real plus), [XYZ]MODEM and
KERMIT protocols and be able to fully operate multitasking and sustain
at least 2400baud up/downloads as a background task/window.
	I know that standard apps PROCOMM, PC/INTERCOMM and probably
KERMIT will work with WINDOWS 386, but I don't think they can hack
the background I/O requirements.
	Too bad that MSWINDOWS TERMINAL is so lame. I do know of a
method for using TERMINAL in conjunction with the DSZ (ZMODEM) comm
program to more or less get the job done, background downloads and all,
but isn't there a better way ?
	Please reply by email. Thanks.

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
				Rockefeller Univ.	...cmcl2!rna!dan
				1230 York Ave.		rna!dan@nyu.arpa
				NY, NY 10021		tso@rockefeller.arpa
							tso@rockvax.bitnet

ssa@mrsvr.UUCP (6607) (09/29/88)

From article <275@rna.UUCP>, by dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o):

> 	Does anyone know of a good communications program that is FULLY
> MSWINDOWS compatible ? It should have at least ANSI/VT100 emulation

        I would also be interested. I did find one on a BBS that only ran
on 1.03 ver of Windows.  I am looking for one for ver 2.?.

        S Alavi
        ...att!uwmcsd1!mrsvr!ssa
        414)547-9429
        414)521-6607 (work)

stephen@stratus.UUCP (Stephen Au-Yeung) (10/01/88)

From article <275@rna.UUCP>, by dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o):

> 	Does anyone know of a good communications program that is FULLY
> MSWINDOWS compatible ? It should have at least ANSI/VT100 emulation

    I'm also interested!  Thanks!
					Stephen Au-Yeung
					408-725-4236
					..!{amdahl,oliveb}!stratus!stephen

vpsingha@athena.mit.edu (Vivek P. Singhal) (10/02/88)

inTalk by Palantir Software is an excellent communications program
that is also a TRUE Windows application.  It supports emulation of 8
different terminals (including VT-100), text and binary file transfers
(Xmodem supported), and a fairly sophisticated communications script
language.  It allows the user to modify just about every
communications setting; it supports speeds up to 9600 baud.  I've
found the program to be very reliable, though screen updates can
sometimes be slow at high baud rates.  Hope this helps.

Palantir's address is:
	Palantir
	12777 Jones Road, Suite 100
	Houston, TX 77070
	(713) 955-8880

Disclaimer:  I'm not affiliated with Palantir in any way; just a
satisfied user.

| Vivek Singhal:  vpsingha@athena.mit.edu        474 Memorial Drive         |
|                 vivek@newt.lcs.mit.edu         Cambridge, MA 02139        |
|                 (617) 225-7576                 (617) 621-0405             |

DOHC@TUCCVM.BITNET (Bob Roberds) (10/03/88)

>>         Does anyone know of a good communications program that is FULLY
>> MSWINDOWS compatible ? It should have at least ANSI/VT100 emulation

>        I would also be interested. I did find one on a BBS that only ran
>on 1.03 ver of Windows.  I am looking for one for ver 2.?.

The PD program Proteus is slowly, oh so slowly, attaining goodness.  I
believe that it works under Windows 2 now, supports vt100/ansi and a
number of good (ie, beyond Xmodem) transfer protocols.

c60c-4au@e260-4b.berkeley.edu (Erik Talvola) (10/03/88)

In article <275@rna.UUCP> dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:

>	Does anyone know of a good communications program that is FULLY
>MSWINDOWS compatible ? It should have at least ANSI/VT100 emulation
>(Tek 401X graphics emulation would be a real plus), [XYZ]MODEM and
>KERMIT protocols and be able to fully operate multitasking and sustain
>at least 2400baud up/downloads as a background task/window.
>	I know that standard apps PROCOMM, PC/INTERCOMM and probably
>KERMIT will work with WINDOWS 386, but I don't think they can hack
>the background I/O requirements.

Well, on my 10 MHz V-20 IBM XT clone, I was able to run Procomm Plus v1.1A
under MS-Windows 2.03 and do downloads in background at 2400 baud.  This
did slow down my system quite a bit, but it did work fine.  If your system
is a faster machine, like a AT or 386 machine, then 2400 baud should be
no problem.  Note: I used the ProComm Plus protocols (Ymodem Batch I think),
but you can also use DSZ with MS-Windows fine.

If you want a Windows-specific application, then Proteus is supposed to be
pretty decent, but I don't have it and can't give any more information right
now.  If I find an address, I will E-Mail it to you.

--
Erik Talvola					| "The soul I took from you
c60c-4au@web.berkeley.edu			|  was not even missed..."

rob@sun.soe (Rob Logan) (10/04/88)

From article <123DOHC@TUCCVM>, by DOHC@TUCCVM.BITNET (Bob Roberds):
> The PD program Proteus is slowly, oh so slowly, attaining goodness.  I
> believe that it works under Windows 2 now, supports vt100/ansi and a
> number of good (ie, beyond Xmodem) transfer protocols.

an old version of proteus and a windows compatable kermit (winkrm.exe)
are avalible anonymous ftp from sun.soe.clarkson.edu /pub/pc/mswindows
(there is also some 30 other windows programs). This directory is NOT
avalible through the archive-server...

				Rob

rob@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (the from line might be messed up.)

moss@ttidca.TTI.COM (Les Moss) (10/06/88)

Good old Crosstalk XVI works fine in an MS Window. In fact I am reading
news and writing this reply in an MS Window right now.

     Les.

--
Les Moss
Citicorp TTI