[comp.windows.misc] Performance comparison between X-based windowing and Pres. Mgr.

jdavis@gollum.UUCP (James P. Davis) (04/19/89)

Has anyone looked at the relative differences in performance between an
X based windowing systems (like, for instance, OPEN LOOK or Motif) and
Presentation Manager under OS/2. It seems that X is going to be slower,
given the overhead of a networked environment, but has anyone examined
this with a test application or benchmark that they can share their
findings? Is it a few percent or an order of magnitude? If I am thinking
about PC's versus X displays (where client and server are on different
machines), is the performance difference going to be enough to sway me
towards buying an OS/2 "workstation" rather than an X display (ignoring the
difference in cost and availability, or lack thereof, of applications)?

Any enlightenment is most appeciated.

Jim Davis
NCR Advanced Systems Development
West Columbia, S.C.
jdavis@gollum.Columbia.NCR.COM

jdn@mas.UUCP (Jeff Nisewanger) (04/22/89)

In article <3024@hound.UUCP> smikes@hound.UUCP (S.MIKES) writes:
>In article <219@gollum.UUCP>, jdavis@gollum.UUCP (James P. Davis) writes:
>>
>> Has anyone looked at the relative differences in performance between an
>> X based windowing systems (like, for instance, OPEN LOOK or Motif) and
>> Presentation Manager under OS/2.....
>
>Jim,
>
>There is a BIG difference between X and OS/2-Presentation Manager, and I
>mean BIG!  For one thing, it would be unfair to even attempt to do a
>one on one comparison between UNIX(tm) based systems with X versus OS/2
>and Presentation Manager -- the big loser would be OS/2, for the following
>reasons:
>
>(1) OS/2 itself is hardly a stable operating system environment -- quite
>the opposite of UNIX which is probably the most debugged operating system
>ever written, even MVS.
	What is the basis for comparison. If you compare the kernel and
base system software I think OS/2 is very stable. I have done a fair
amount of system programming for it and am quite impressed by its
stability. I have seen several major Unix ports that were buggier.
OS/2 almost never "panics" even when pushed hard. Presentation Manager
is a bit touchy but the base OS/2 kernel is very solid and the system calls
to it are mostly well designed.
	If you compare feature sets Unix wins in the area of protection
mechanisms but OS/2 wins big in other areas. It can page virtual memory
into an ordinary filesystem. It supports multiple "threads" per process.
It has a flexible process priority scheme. It has named-pipes which can
be used to build "servers" that can be accessed in a completely
network protocol independent way (by relying on the Lan Manager
distributed filesystem). It can be painlessly tuned by editing config.sys
with a text editor. It has dynamically loadable device drivers; no kernel
re-linking bullshit. Installation is massively less weird than many Unix
installation mechanisms that I've seen.

>(4) OS/2 still has several problems; among them is the major issue of how
>it is to support concurrent execution of native OS/2 and native DOS
>applications -- it can't.
	This is a 286 limit. OS/3 will doubtless support this.

>(5) OS/2 is a resource pig. Granted, X is not much better, but given that
>X is implemented on UNIX based systems, the underlying operating system
>takes care of sharing the available memory, disk, and other system
>resources.  This is one area in which OS/2 is still hurting, primarily since
>it is still relatively new. The typical OS/2 system requires a minimum of
>2 or more megs of RAM and at least an 80286 processor.  The OS/2 developement
>environment requires even more, and a huge chunk of disk space.  It is
>poorly supported by comparison to X, if you don't believe this, try calling
>IBM or Microsoft for OS/2 technical support sometime; Microsoft will try
>to answer basic or simple questions, but when the call involves deeper
>involvement the tech support guys tell you that you should buy a $500.00
>per yer subscription to ONLINE, their SIG on GEnie(tm).
	When you combine Unix and X together you will chew up about the
same amount of resources, at least. Disk space for Unix/X development
will take AT LEAST as much room as OS/2. Try running Unix/X11 on 2mb.
OS/2 technical support is at least as good as any Unix/X11 support
I have ever encountered.

>(11) There are no toolkits or extensions yet available for OS/2 or
>Presentation Manager; take a look at Andrew, Xt, OpenLook(tm), OSF/Motif,
>or any of the other extensions available from DEC, Sun, Hewlitt-Packard,
>AT&T and several other members of the X Consortium.

	Part of Presentation Manager is the standard PM toolkit. It is
in most ways equivalent to the facilities provided by other windowing
toolkits but unlike many windowing toolkits for X it provides general
coordinate transformations, stored display lists etc. It has better support
for mouse hit detection within a graphic drawing. It has outline font
support. It has a PostScript imaging API for wide lines, fancy clipping
and sophisticated outline font effects.
	There is also now a Microsoft endorsed C++ toolkit from
Glockenspiel Ltd. for PM that is source-code compatible for compilation
on MS-Windows and X11/NeWS as well. I haven't seen the details yet but
it is potentially a much better long-range solution than various other
toolkits that attempt awkward "object-oriented" programming in plain
C (the standard PM toolkit clearly belongs in this list.). PM also
has a plan for supporting printing. There is coherent answer supplied
for the X domain.
	The big drawback for PM is the lack of network transparency.
It could also use more flexible graphics contexts and some of the calls
are a little awkward. Nothing in life is perfect. I also feel awkward
defending Microsoft/IBM software. They do put out a lot of crud but
as far OS/2 and the basic capabilites of PM I think they have done
a much better job than you give them credit for.

	Jeff Nisewanger
	Measurex Automation Systems
	....apple!mas1!jdn

jdavis@gollum.UUCP (James P. Davis) (04/26/89)

------------------------
I thought that I would repost, in case somebody missed it. Is *anybody*
looking at this? Or, is it proprietary?
------------------------

Has anyone looked at the relative differences in performance between an
X based windowing systems (like, DECWindows, OPEN LOOK, or Motif) and
Presentation Manager under OS/2. It seems that X is going to be slower,
given the overhead of a networked environment, but has anyone examined
this with a test application or benchmark that they can share their
findings? Is it a few percent or an order of magnitude? If I am thinking
about PC's versus X displays (where client and server are on different
machines), is the performance difference going to be enough to sway me
towards buying an OS/2 "workstation" rather than an X display (ignoring the
difference in cost and availability, or lack thereof, of applications)?

Any enlightenment is most appeciated.

Jim Davis
NCR Advanced Systems Development
West Columbia, S.C.
jdavis@gollum.Columbia.NCR.COM

jordan@cs.columbia.edu (Jordan Hayes) (04/27/89)

James P. Davis <jdavis@gollum.UUCP> asks:

	Has anyone looked at the relative differences in performance
	between an X based windowing systems (like, DECWindows, OPEN
	LOOK, or Motif) and Presentation Manager under OS/2?

I was told by Bill Gates that PMX (Presentation Manager under Unix?)
was going to be (should be done by now?) implemented on top of X ...

Can anyone confirm or deny?

I was also told (not sure by who) that HP was doing (did?) it.

/jordan