[comp.windows.misc] More's the PTY...

sjs@spectral.ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) (05/19/89)

Does anyone else find it remarkable that in this day and age people
still view files by running "more" in a window emulating a TTY?

Stan Switzer  sjs@ctt.bellcore.com

carlo@Athena.MIT.EDU (Carlo Lisa) (05/21/89)

>>Does anyone else find it remarkable that in this day and age people
>>still view files by running "more" in a window emulating a TTY?

Absolutely TRUE! This is the reason for I'm writing Xless, the X Window
version for less (it's almost ready......).

Carlo Lisa
carlo@athena.mit.edu

In article <16246@bellcore.bellcore.com>, sjs@spectral.ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) writes:
> Does anyone else find it remarkable that in this day and age people
> still view files by running "more" in a window emulating a TTY?

I run 'less', myself.

Come up with a standard program-window interface and a file browser with the
capability of less, and I'll switch.

Hell... come up with a program-window interface that's worth a damn. I sure
haven't seen one yet.

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

nazgul@apollo.COM (Kee Hinckley) (05/24/89)

In article <16246@bellcore.bellcore.com>, sjs@spectral.ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) writes:
> Does anyone else find it remarkable that in this day and age people
> still view files by running "more" in a window emulating a TTY?

For 5 years I didn't use more or terminal eumulators.  Just press a key,
type the file name, and poof - a full editor on it, no matter which machine
it was on, in which network, in which building.  Or if I prefered,
point the mouse at the filename, click a button... there was the file.

Now of course I use X, and I'm back to psuedo terminals again.  Oh well.
--
### User Environment, Apollo Computer Inc. ###  Public Access ProLine BBS   ###
###     {mit-eddie,yale}!apollo!nazgul     ###  nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com   ###

janssen@titan.sw.mcc.com (Bill Janssen) (05/26/89)

In article <4365854d.1b147@apollo.COM>, nazgul@apollo (Kee Hinckley) writes:
>For 5 years I didn't use more or terminal eumulators.  Just press a key,
>type the file name, and poof - a full editor on it, no matter which machine
>it was on, in which network, in which building.  Or if I prefered,
>point the mouse at the filename, click a button... there was the file.

Umm...  I have the same situation, but I don't suppose you would think that
it counts, seeing as it's GNU Emacs, or for multi-media things, Andrew ez.

>Now of course I use X, and I'm back to psuedo terminals again.

Not necessarily.

Bill