[comp.windows.misc] are X/Open and Motif potentially compatible?

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (11/08/89)

I notice that Intel is planning a release of SysV.4.0 including both
X/Open and Motif GUI's.  I can only assume that they are providing them
as incompatible alternatives.  Is it possible to make one product that
includes both simultaneously, or are they inherently incompatible?
-David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

jdn@misc.Sun.COM (Jeff Nisewanger) (11/08/89)

In article <962@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.UUCP (David J. Camp) writes:
>I notice that Intel is planning a release of SysV.4.0 including both
>X/Open and Motif GUI's.  I can only assume that they are providing them
>as incompatible alternatives.  Is it possible to make one product that
>includes both simultaneously, or are they inherently incompatible?
>-David-
>
>Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
>Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
>uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
>Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

	The last time I checked, X/Open had nothing to do with the X
Window System. X/Open is a Unix-related standards group that was formed
before X became well known. In the past several months I have seen
X/Open identified with X several times in major computer rags.

	Jeff
Jeff Nisewanger                         ARPA: jdn@sun.com
Window Systems Group                    UUCP: ...!sun!jdn
Sun Microsystems, Inc.                  415/336-5743

leach@tolerant.com (Geoffrey Leach) (11/08/89)

From article <962@wubios.wustl.edu>, by david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp):
> I notice that Intel is planning a release of SysV.4.0 including both
> X/Open and Motif GUI's.  I can only assume that they are providing them
> as incompatible alternatives.  Is it possible to make one product that
> includes both simultaneously, or are they inherently incompatible?

I assume you mean OpenLook.  The X/Open group hadn't come up with one last
I heard.  Techicnally, I expect it could be done, but would it ever look
bizarre!

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (11/09/89)

In article <127580@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, jdn@misc.Sun.COM (Jeff Nisewanger) writes:
> 	The last time I checked, X/Open had nothing to do with the X
> Window System. X/Open is a Unix-related standards group that was formed
> before X became well known. In the past several months I have seen
> X/Open identified with X several times in major computer rags.

X/Open has published a standard for the X Window System.  It is
essentially the same as the MIT specification.  X/Open has not
specified a widget set or GUI yet, but I believe they are working on
this right now.  They may choose Motif or OpenLook or parts of each.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee