[comp.windows.misc] when metaphor becomes reality

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (12/06/89)

I stood   a cassette box  on  a  convenient ledge    in front of   the
lower-right corner of my  workstation display so that I  could see the
titles when the  cuts came around on  my  headphones.  Later,  I found
that the box was obscuring the contents of a window in that area of my
screen.  I used the mouse to bring  that window to  the front, and was
momentarily disappointed when it didn't obscure the  tape box.  Then I
realized with a  start that the  window probably wouldn't come all the
way to the front, no matter how many times I picked it.

A simple example  of momentary metaphorical  disorientation that shows
how far the mind  will stretch in its  attempt  to impose order on the
chaos around us...

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (12/15/89)

In article <BOB.89Dec5154524@volitans.MorningStar.Com>, bob@MorningStar (Bob Sutterfield) writes:

>A simple example  of momentary metaphorical  disorientation that shows
>how far the mind  will stretch in its  attempt  to impose order on the
>chaos around us...

I had the same problem when someone put a Post-It note on a monitor.

This gave me an idea for another project - A way to type in a note and
print it out, making the memo look like a window on a workstation.

You then cut out the window and tape it to someone's screen....

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crd.ge.com>   uunet!crdgw1!barnett