[comp.windows.misc] X questions

gaf@uucs1.UUCP (gaf) (02/02/90)

Roger Gonzalez writes:
>If I get the X distribution from MIT, could it be built (easily)
>on a HP-UX system and/or MS-DOS?  How long does it take to set up
>a working X server?

Yes, it can be built easily on HP-UX version 6.5 or later.  That is one of
the supported platforms.  The libraries rely on several Berkeley function
calls and structures, so whatever you port X to will have to have them
(e.g. select(), gettimeofday(), readv() & writev(), ioctl() support of
FIONREAD, etc).  Release 4 (X11R4), just out, has the binaries to build an
HP server.  Have LOTS of disk space at the ready, though (tens of megabytes).

I wouldn't recommend trying to build a DOS server by hand.  Several DOS
servers are commercially available for ~$400 (a reasonable price given
what they do).
--
Guy Finney					It's that feeling of deja-vu
UUCS inc.   Phoenix, Az				all over again.

smikes@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (steven.mikes) (02/13/90)

In article <1990Jan31.192436.9280@uunet!unhd>, rg@uunet!unhd (Roger Gonzalez ) writes:
> If I get the X distribution from MIT, could it be built (easily)
> on a HP-UX system and/or MS-DOS?  How long does it take to set up
> a working X server?

Roger,

You should be able to build it with little or no problem on the HP-UX system,
I have no idea about MS-DOS, however.  The distribution size depends upon
the type of tape media you request.  For example, I received the Sun format
tapes and this was packaged as 3 separate tapes.  The first tape is the core
distribution and the other two are volumes 1 and 2 of the contrib distribution.

The total build, including the unbundling of the tapes, make world and make
install (just for the core, mind you) took about 6-8 hours on a SPARC1 which
is a 12.5 MIP machine!  The rest of the contrib build is dependent upon what
you choose to install; almost all of the contrib clients require you to run
imake and then edit the resultant Makefiles before executing them.

Also, there are a lot of little "gotcha's" that if you haven't been keeping up
with the X11.4 installation problems encountered so far in comp.windows.x,
could add significantly to your installation time.  You could order your X11.4
installation materials from Integrated Computer Solutions, Inc., in Cambridge
Mass.  They provide you with a fairly up-to-date ERRATA sheet that helps you
avoid the most common pitfalls encountered so far.  Their distribution package
is the same price as MIT's: $400.00 which includes a full set of nicely printed
X11.4 documentation and the tapes on high quality media.

Steve
--
e-mail:	{att!}pjspot!smikes	->	Phone: (201) 615-4718
#include <std.disclaimer> "I said it, not my company!"