[comp.windows.misc] 3D OpenLook a winner

ian@sq.sq.com (Ian F. Darwin) (02/15/90)

steven.mikes (smikes@cbnewsi.ATT.COM) writes:
> [lots deleted]
> I believe that there is currently enough room for both OpenLook [a really fine
> product in its own right] and Motif.  Neither is a standard; we are talking
> less than 60,000 end users in the entire world!
Well said! We sometimes forget the numbers.

> ... BTW, to be fair to
> OpenLook, I recently saw Sun give a demonstration of the NEW OpenLook GUI
> which incorporates a really neat 3D look that surpasses even Motif.

This is the most important point in your posting. The 3-D OpenLook is the
best looking window-thing I've ever seen. To hear Motif fans saying that
3D OpenLook "surpasses even Motif" must be pleasing to Sun's ears.

It's now my default environment, since (despite your comments about Sun and
vaporware, a rep they are working very hard to overcome), I have 3-D
OpenLook on my workstation NOW since the souce for it is freely available to
one and all, courtesy of Sun.  Just get the OpenLook Window Manager
(X11R4/contrib/w*/olwm) and the patches for it (expo.lcs.mit.edu, XView
patches 1 and 2).  Compile olgx (a library used by olwm) and olwm itself,
terminate your old window manager, and run
	olwm -3 -display yourworkstation:0
and you've got the best looking window-thing around.

Of course like most 3D window-things it requires a grayscale or color
monitor. I've only seen it working on a Sun-3/60 with a CG4.  Your mileage
may vary.

Ian Darwin
ian@sq.com
--
#exclude <stddisclaim.h>

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (02/16/90)

From article <1990Feb14.201536.29437@sq.sq.com>, by ian@sq.sq.com (Ian F. Darwin):
> steven.mikes (smikes@cbnewsi.ATT.COM) writes:
>> [lots deleted]

> This is the most important point in your posting. The 3-D OpenLook is the
> best looking window-thing I've ever seen. To hear Motif fans saying that
> 3D OpenLook "surpasses even Motif" must be pleasing to Sun's ears.

  Here Here! I've seen both. And if I where to judge by look feel and
want. I want "3-D OpenLook". They really did a good job on this one.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  pacbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson) (02/21/90)

So does anyone have some sample .Xdefaults and .olwmrc files for
olwm so that I can see how good the 3D looks? The defaults are certainly
not impressive.

			-- Chan Benson
			HP Fort Collins
			chan@hpfcmgw.hp.com

chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson) (02/22/90)

> So does anyone have some sample .Xdefaults and .olwmrc files for
> olwm so that I can see how good the 3D looks? The defaults are certainly
> not impressive.

Well, I've been informed via email that olwm doesn't use resources. I
know for a fact that this is false, cause it pays attention to
"OpenWindows.foreground" and "OpenWindows.WindowColor". When I took
those out of my .Xdefaults, I guess I got the default colors.
So again, does anyone have any good Open Look color schemes to
share?

I'm not sure what everyone's excited about. I suppose it's just a matter
of taste, but I like the mwm look better. The oval menu buttons are pretty
cool though.

So, how about posting a .olwmmenu file?

			-- Chan Benson
			HP Fort Collins
			chan@hpfcmgw.hp.com

tvillan@hpccc.HP.COM (Tim Villanueva) (02/27/90)

>"What's bigger than a toaster?"
>	"The source for the X-Windows version of 'Hello World'."
>"What's bigger than a house?"
>	"The source for the X-Windows version of 'Hello World'."
>"What's bigger than a major Interstate?"
>	"The source for the X-Windows version of 'Hello World'."

"What's bigger than the source for the X-Windows version of 'Hello World'?"
     "The source for the Microsoft Windows version of 'Hello World'."

sjs@spectral.ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) (02/27/90)

> >"What's bigger than a toaster?"
> >	"The source for the X-Windows version of 'Hello World'."
> >"What's bigger than a house?"
> >	"The source for the X-Windows version of 'Hello World'."
> >"What's bigger than a major Interstate?"
> >	"The source for the X-Windows version of 'Hello World'."
> "What's bigger than the source for the X-Windows version of 'Hello World'?"
>      "The source for the Microsoft Windows version of 'Hello World'."

"What's eight lines long?"
     "The source to the NeWS version of 'Hello World'."

Stan Switzer  sjs@bellcore.com

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (02/28/90)

In article <20372@bellcore.bellcore.com> sjs@bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) writes:
>> >"What's bigger than a toaster?"
>> >	"The source for the X-Windows version of 'Hello World'."
>> >"What's bigger than a house?"
>> >	"The source for the X-Windows version of 'Hello World'."
>> >"What's bigger than a major Interstate?"
>> >	"The source for the X-Windows version of 'Hello World'."
>> "What's bigger than the source for the X-Windows version of 'Hello World'?"
>>      "The source for the Microsoft Windows version of 'Hello World'."
>
>"What's eight lines long?"
>     "The source to the NeWS version of 'Hello World'."

"What's six lines long?"
	The source to the WINTERP version of 'Hello World'.

WINTERP is an XLISP interface to the Motif widget set. Loading the
following 6 line expression into WINTERP's lisp server contradicts the
above statements claiming that a 'Hello World' program in X windows is
large.

   (let* ((top_w (send TOP_LEVEL_SHELL_WIDGET_CLASS :new))
          (but_w (send XM_PUSH_BUTTON_WIDGET_CLASS :new :managed top_w
                       :XMN_LABEL_STRING "hello world")))
     (send but_w :add_callback :XMN_ARM_CALLBACK '()
           '((format t "hello world\n")))
     (send top_w :realize))

	    Niels Mayer -- hplabs!mayer -- mayer@hplabs.hp.com
		  Human-Computer Interaction Department
		       Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
			      Palo Alto, CA.
				   *

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (03/01/90)

In article <4885@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM>, mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer)
writes:
> "What's six lines long?"
> 	The source to the WINTERP version of 'Hello World'.
>
> WINTERP is an XLISP interface to the Motif widget set. Loading the
> following 6 line expression into WINTERP's lisp server contradicts the
> above statements claiming that a 'Hello World' program in X windows is
> large.
>[omitted for brevity]

Winterp is extremely nifty, and brings to X many of the advantages of NeWS
<insert pats on the back here>, but it has one significant problem at the
moment: it does not support multiple simultaneous connections from clients,
and correspondingly it does not maintain more than one context.  It's wonderful
for playing around with MOTIF, but it doesn't look as useful for building
the UI parts of large applications in the way that NeWS is.  Granted, you
can compile WINTERP into your application, but that seems a little backward
for a UI server...

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view."
	--Obi-Wan Kenobi in "Return of the Jedi"

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (03/02/90)

In article <1990Feb28.205529.9834@intercon.com> amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>In article <4885@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM>, mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer)
>writes:
>> "What's six lines long?"
>> 	The source to the WINTERP version of 'Hello World'.
>
>Winterp is extremely nifty, and brings to X many of the advantages of NeWS
><insert pats on the back here>, but it has one significant problem at the
>moment: it does not support multiple simultaneous connections from clients,
>and correspondingly it does not maintain more than one context.

Thanks! However, I must state that it was never my original intent to use
WINTERP as a user interface server for multiple clients... however it soon
became apparent that it could be used for NeWS-like things, and i've talked
to a handful of people that are interested in doing just that. The overall
principle I applied to WINTERP is K.I.S.S. (no, not wearing elevator-shoes,
face paint and playing teen rock anthems -- rather, Keep It Simple
Stupid)... that tactic is realistic if you consider that I have been
working on WINTERP on my own in order to build a platform for groupware
research being done in my project at HPLabs.  WINTERP's feature of a
serverized lisp listener was added because I wanted all WINTERP-based
applications to have a built-in cheap, flexible RPC mechanism for
inter-client communication. It was also the easiest way to allow Lisp input
to be processed alongside X events -- this allows you to see the X results
of your lisp input immediately, interactively.

FYI -- Last summer, we had an MIT Master's student use some parts of
WINTERP/XLISP for use in a multimedia (sound, video) control platform (tV)
for networked workstations. He was able to get multiple simultanous
connections from clients... I haven't had the time to integrate his code
back into WINTERP because I'm really supposed to be working on groupware,
and multiple simultaneous connections is peripheral to our design.

>  It's wonderful
>for playing around with MOTIF, but it doesn't look as useful for building
>the UI parts of large applications in the way that NeWS is.

I didn't have the time nor management buy-in to do anything like NeWS. I
had a fairly specific purpose in mind (a platform for the groupware
toolkit) which was generalized by the realization that WINTERP would also
serve as a good OSF/Motif application prototyping/customization/delivery
environment.

>Granted, you
>can compile WINTERP into your application, but that seems a little backward
>for a UI server...

That's actually the way I intended for WINTERP to be used. Many
applications require a customization language in order to better integrate
into the user's and/or vendor's environment -- examples of such
applications include gnuemacs, autoCAD, and our groupware toolkit
(Strudel). The customization language can be used to add or alter
functionality, or to radically alter the "look" of the application. For an
exampe of the latter, you could imagine an e-mail application in which the
mail primitives are implemented in C but accessible from the lisp
interpreter. By combining the mail primitives with the UI primitives in
WINTERP you could provide a number of "canned" interface styles that the
user can select, modify via programming-by-example, etc. Specifically, one
could provide "profiles" for an X11r3-xmh style mailer which is all button
based, or an X11r4-xmh style which is pulldown menu based.

Many applications already provide a weak UI interpreter for the purposes of
UI customization. Most X11 window managers have code to allow you to build
up your own menus and attach menu entries to w.m. or system functionality.
The X11r4 xmh allows you to specify a list of buttons (via Xdefaults) to
handle common operations that would be tedious to activate via the default
pulldown menus.  UIL-based applications extend and generalize that kind of
customizability. However, such customizability is "weak" because the
"languages" used aren't real programming languages, and therefore can't
handle application-state dependent dialogues.

I hope this clarifies things a bit....

PS: w/r/t the statement "but that seems a little backward for a UI
server"...... my comments on this would involve further digression from the
subject line. Let me just say that I'm not convinced that the UI server
model (that is, a UIMS for multiple applications) is entirely appropriate
(though it does have obvious advantages). I like the fact that the X server
is robust and relatively simple. I can make a programming error in an
application I'm writing and not wedge the entire server (and thereby wedge
all my other apps). Switching between different dynamically loaded shared
UI toolkit library implementations (using the same programmatic interface
definition/protocol) can achieve the same effect as downloading code into a
NeWS server. Yet, you can still maintain the autonomy and memory-protection
aspects of running multiple separate unix processes. As a programmer, I
find such aspects of usage extremely important.