[comp.windows.misc] What's N lines long? Bla bla...

net@tub.UUCP (Oliver Laumann) (03/02/90)

In article <4885@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> mayer@hplabs.hp.com (Niels Mayer) writes:

> >"What's eight lines long?"
> >     "The source to the NeWS version of 'Hello World'."
>
> "What's six lines long?"
> 	The source to the WINTERP version of 'Hello World'.

This thread is getting childish (``The BLAH-toolkit version of Hello
World is only N lines long!''  ``Gee, look, the TURBO-version!  It's
only TEN CHARACTERS long!'' etc.)

The original article was at least funny, and now everyone is just
posting a stupid plug for his or her favorite toolkit or hobby.
Haven't we been through this just a couple of weeks ago?

By the way, I find it questionable to use the number of lines of
"Hello World" as an indicator for the quality of a toolkit or window
system.  It's almost as useless as MIPS -- while it may be good for
posting ads for a product, it doesn't really tell much about the
functionality or quality.  So how about a comparison based on
reasonable, technical arguments instead of "Hello World"-size?

--
Oliver Laumann     net@TUB.BITNET     net@tub.cs.tu-berlin.de     net@tub.UUCP