[comp.windows.misc] How popular is MGR?

yukngo@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca (Cheung Yukngo) (06/29/90)

I have installed MGR for almost a year now. I have used it steadily
for over half a year. Other than a few postings about the porting of
MGR to AT&T 3B(?) machine, I have not seen any discussions at all on
the usenet. How popular is MGR? Has anyone modified it?

ihaka@diamond.tmc.edu (Ross Ihaka) (07/01/90)

I use MGR on a Toshiba 5200 running Xenix.  It has some weirdness
associated with it, but it's very easy to get simple things working.
I was able to get graphics going for some statistical software
I've written in about ten minutes.  I've also written a program
for displaying bitmap images.

I like it a lot.  It's small and fairly fast.  Makes the machine
quite pleasant to use.
	Ross

chrise@bcsaic.UUCP (Chris Esposito) (07/03/90)

I got a copy of SuperBook (from Bellcore) that runs on top of MGR. While I
liked SuperBook, nothing else I needed to use runs on it, so we no longer use
either Superbook or MGR.

--
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind" - Dan Quayle at a Weight Watchers group
Chris Esposito                      | Internet: chrise@atc.boeing.com

sau@breeze.bellcore.com (Stephen A Uhler) (07/04/90)

In article <YUKNGO.90Jun29131606@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca> yukngo@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca (Cheung Yukngo) writes:
>I have installed MGR for almost a year now. I have used it steadily
>for over half a year. Other than a few postings about the porting of
>MGR to AT&T 3B(?) machine, I have not seen any discussions at all on
>the usenet. How popular is MGR? Has anyone modified it?

I took a walk around the hall after lunch and counted 17 workstations
running MGR (including mine).  Mostly sparcstations, but some sun 3's and
some dec3100's.   At home I run MGR on a toshiba 5200 (on SCO xenix).

I try to keep the latest versions of MGR avaliable for ftp on bellcore.com,
and incorporate the bug fixes that people send me, although I'm currently
a bit behind.