[comp.windows.misc] MGR

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (02/28/89)

Attempt #4:

I posted this reply about two weeks ago, but it appears to only have made it
out to several sites. I am reposting it and adding comp.os.minix to the list,
since I hear that several people are trying to port MGR to minix (and since
my folding editor also works under ST-minix). One new question for Mr. Uhler.
Any idea why MGR won't give back the mouse device when compiled under Sun
OS 3.5? It works fine until you quit mgr...then you basically have to reboot
the node. Sun OS 4.0x works fine.

  -trb

-------cut----here----------

In article <13959@bellcore.bellcore.com> sau@wind.UUCP (Stephen A Uhler) writes:

>One of the original reasons I wrote MGR was to reduce our dependence on SUNS,
>so some care was taken to make MGR portable, and not Sun specific.  However,
>since I still have one, SUN's are still MGR's primary development platform.

Very nicely done windowing system. We got it up on several of our Suns
(OS 4.x) after some minor glitches. One of the guys at work also
compiled the library and commands on the Apollos with no problems...the
Apollos also appear to have all the blit functions needed to port mgr,
so I'll bet that will be next. I spent two lunch hours modifying
my folding editor to support multiple windows using mgr calls and it
works great. A major surprise was that I only had to add about 40
lines of code to the editor (I hadn't written the editor with any
plans of ever supporting graphics windows in the first place.) It seems
like Emacs would be fairly simple to integrate into mgr as well (i.e.
with seperate windows per buffer). Has anyone already done this?

Also, has anyone added something like transcript pads (scrollable
windows) to mgr? I am tempted to add that to my editor (somewhat like
the way emacs is set up), but would prefer something external, more
generic, and already written.

* Todd Burkey-trb@stag |Man: What's a million years like? God: Like one second.*
*  A Member of STdNet  |Man: How about a million dollars? God: Like one penny. *
* The ST Developer Net |Man: Can I have a penny?          God: Just a second...*

yukngo@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca (Cheung Yukngo) (07/06/90)

In article <1990Jul6.113729.19615@ariel.unm.edu> alundin@carina.unm.edu (Alan Lundin) writes:

   BTW, many thanks to Steve Ulher for writing and releasing this wonderful
   windowing package!  I'm suddenly not very interested in X-windows any more,
   thanks to MGR and am very impressed by MGR's simplicity and elegance.
   MGR is the only windowing package I've seen that I'd call a 'tool'.

I had the same feeling when I started using MGR last December. I knew
MGR was simpler; but until I wrote the first MGR program I did not
know it was easier and more elegant too. I abandoned X after that. MGR
does have its defficiencies but it is much easier to read and modify
MGR than SunView (no source code) or X (source tree too big too complex).

I read the copyright notice that exists in most MGR source files; it
does not mention modifications. Can I modify MGR and give the modified
version to a friend, for example?

Thanks.

sau@breeze.bellcore.com (Stephen A Uhler) (07/09/90)

In article <YUKNGO.90Jul6113844@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca> yukngo@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca (Cheung Yukngo) writes:
>In article <1990Jul6.113729.19615@ariel.unm.edu> alundin@carina.unm.edu (Alan Lundin) writes:
>
>I read the copyright notice that exists in most MGR source files; it
>does not mention modifications. Can I modify MGR and give the modified
>version to a friend, for example?

It is my understanding that you can modify MGR as much as you like, and
give your modified code to whomever you wish, as long as you make clear
what is your code and what is mine.

If you think your modifications are generally useful, I would appreciate
you sending me them as well, so that I can incorporate your changes into
the "official" version so the improvements can be shared by all.

Stephen Uhler