[comp.windows.misc] new hope for the dead

smith@canon.co.uk (Mark Smith) (08/16/90)

Hey, on page 108 of the August issue of Byte, there's a picture of
a screen dump from something called OS/90.  It looks like they've
finished Open Look.  Any chance Sun might license it?

 Mark Smith                                            smith@canon.co.uk
 Canon Research Centre Europe                   ..ukc!uos-ee!canon!smith
 soft driven slow and mad like some new language

philr@knecht.Eng.Sun.COM (Phil Robar) (08/17/90)

smith@canon.co.uk (Mark Smith) writes:

>Hey, on page 108 of the August issue of Byte, there's a picture of
>a screen dump from something called OS/90.  It looks like they've
>finished Open Look.  Any chance Sun might license it?

If you're implying that OS/90's version of Open Look is more attractive
and finished than OpenWindows 1.0 or 1.0.1 than you should order 2.0
(or wait for your upgrade if you have already purchased an earlier
version).  It is a major improvement both in looks and performance.

--
Philip Robar
Sun Microsystems

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (08/17/90)

In article <140774@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> philr@knecht.Eng.Sun.COM (Phil Robar) writes:
   ...you should order 2.0 (or wait for your upgrade if you have
   already purchased an earlier version).

We ordered OW last summer, and 1.0.1 arrived a couple of months ago.
I hadn't gotten around to installing it yet when I saw that 2.0 had
hit the streets.  Does this mean that, having purchased an earlier OW,
I should expect that the doc-u-crate faerie will automagically favor
me with the new release?

jipping@smaug.cs.hope.edu (Mike Jipping) (08/17/90)

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:

> We ordered OW last summer, and 1.0.1 arrived a couple of months ago.
> I hadn't gotten around to installing it yet when I saw that 2.0 had
> hit the streets.  Does this mean that, having purchased an earlier OW,
> I should expect that the doc-u-crate faerie will automagically favor
> me with the new release?

The answer is a loud NO!  We just learned this this month.  We bought 1.0
and automagically received 1.0.1.  So, just for fun, I called and
double-checked with Sun if we were slated for 2.0.  Well, turns out that
between 1.0.1 and 2.0, the distribution is now a maintenance item.

So, unless you have OW under maintenance contract, you have to buy it.
Call your favorite sales critter soon!

      Mike Jipping                        Internet: jipping@cs.hope.edu
      Hope College                          BITNET: JIPPING@HOPE
      Department of Computer Science         Voice: Hey!