[comp.windows.misc] Visualization software ??

mutaal@well.sf.ca.us (Mutaal K. Moresadam) (10/10/90)

I'd appreciate receiving pointers to visualization software
(either commercial or public domain) that is intended for C3-I
applications.

Thanks in advance.

mikeh@bryant.NCD.COM (Mike Harrigan) (10/10/90)

In article <21109@well.sf.ca.us>, mutaal@well.sf.ca.us (Mutaal K.
Moresadam) writes:

|> I'd appreciate receiving pointers to visualization software
|> (either commercial or public domain) that is intended for C3-I
|> applications.
|>
|> Thanks in advance.

Hmm, don't know exactly what you're doing, but you should check out
DataViews from V.I. Corporation. You can reach them at (413) 253-3482 or
vi@vicorp.uu.net.

I pulled this from the NCD EXPORT Catalog of X window applications. If
you find other commercially available packages, I would like to hear
about them so I can get them in the catalog.

To get a copy of the catalog send your request to info@ncd.com

Mike Harrigan
Network Computing Devices
mikeh@ncd.com

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (10/12/90)

In article <1986@lupine.NCD.COM> mikeh@bryant.NCD.COM (Mike Harrigan) writes:
>Hmm, don't know exactly what you're doing, but you should check out
>DataViews from V.I. Corporation. You can reach them at (413) 253-3482 or
>vi@vicorp.uu.net.

Also check out PV~WAVE from Precision Visuals.... expensive.

I saw DataViews demo'd at the last CMU SEI Affiliates symposium -- it
looked really neat, but it's also quite expensive -- I recall the original
poster is doing C3I, I guess he can afford it since we'll all end up paying
for it through taxes. Since 3D graphics is just a hobby for me (not a part
of my real job yet), I've been looking for a software platform that costs
much much less than a new japanese sports-car...

However ...

Recently, I heard about apE 2.0 from the Ohio Supercomputer Center -- it's
only $75.00 and it comes as source code that supposedly compiles a variety
of computers (HP, Sun, SGI, DEC/Ultrix, IBM/Aix) and runs under Xwindows,
SunView, and SGI's GL. I got a fax about this from someone that attended
SIGGRAPH, and this gave a pointer to a bunch of papers (postscript format)
on the environment. The address for retrieving this info via anonymous ftp
is apE.osgp.osc.edu (128.146.18.18); e-mail is apE@apE.osgp.osc.edu; phone
is (614)292-0006.

Unfortunately, according to the README file on apE.osgp.osc.edu, apE 2.0 is
not released yet because they delayed release to accomodate porting to the
NeXT platform. Supposedly available real-soon-now.

Has anybody used apE 2.0?? What's it like?? How's it work?? Is it a useable
environment, or is it a laboratory curiosity??

I'm particularly interested in playing around with animation via a
language-based graphics environment (4GL-ish). A grasp for X windows would
do nicely.

	    Niels Mayer -- hplabs!mayer -- mayer@hplabs.hp.com
		  Human-Computer Interaction Department
		       Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
			      Palo Alto, CA.
				   *

emike@cpg.trs.reuter.com (E. Mike Durbin) (10/12/90)

I just returned from CaseWorld.  Look at Virtual Prototypes, Inc.

	Eugene R. Joseph
	President
	Montreal, Quebec, Canada
	514-483-4712

I haven't used this software, but from seeing it, I would guess that it can do
much the same stuff that DataViews can.  For the most part, thought, it
seems to
be targeted at simulating physical man-machine interfaces (like car dashboards,
radios, etc.)

Looked impressive.

Also, definetly look at DataViews - V.I. Corp.  (Sorry, I don't have
their phone
number handy).

E. Mike Durbin		Rich/Reuters Trading Room Systems
emike@cpg.trs.reuter.com   or   uunet!richsun!emike