[comp.windows.misc] What type of displays can be used with Windows 3.0?

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (11/11/90)

 I was just wondering which displays can support Windows 3.0?
You can post to this group or email me directly.  Thanks very
much in advance.
--Gerry
ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu
maxg@suvm  (bitnet)

bradd@gssc.UUCP (Brad[null] Davis) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov11.012226.18750@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:

> I was just wondering which displays can support Windows 3.0?
>You can post to this group or email me directly.  Thanks very
>much in advance.

Some of the nicest Windows 3.0 displays I've seen are the GSS 1000 series
display controllers driving multisyncs such as the NEC XL.  They will run
up to 1024x768 in 256 colors, and don't slow the machine down as the
resolution and colors increase.  VGA, for example, really slows down as
the resolution increases just because your 386 (or whatever) has to push
more bits around.  But the 1000s have a 50 MHz 34010 graphics CPU onboard
to do the grunt work, leaving the 386 free to run all those megabytes
of Windows, X-Windows or Presentation Manager applications.

I have to admit some bias here in that I work for the company that designed
the 1000s, but it is also true that these were the boards that got me
seriously addicted to Windows 3.0.  At home, I try to do the same things on
my 16 bit Super VGA (1024x768) but the difference is like between night and
day.  Even at 800x600 and 16 colors, and pushed by a 25MHz 386, the SVGA
is slower than a 1000 at 1024x768 with 256 colors.  (I've been trying to
beg, borrow or steal a 1000 to take home, but we don't actually make the
things - OEMs like NEC, NCR, Ogivar and Tandon do - and we don't even have
enough here at the office.)

(Another thing I miss when I go home to my SVGA after running my
1000 all day is the rock-solid cursor.  The VGA doesn't have hardware
cursor support, and has to hide and show the the cursor all the time.
Depending on what I're doing the VGA cursor will flicker, sometimes
to the point of being tough to find.)

>--Gerry
>ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu
>maxg@suvm  (bitnet)

Random drivel from the keyboard of:                                   +--+
  Brad Davis, GSS Inc, Beaverton OR  _________ -_--_  ________________|80|__
  bradd@gssc         (503) 641-2200    --  --  =o==o=  --  --  --  -- +__+
Disclaimer: The boss disavows        ----------------------------------||---
  all knowledge of my actions.                                         ||

nak@cbnews.att.com (Neil A. Kirby) (11/16/90)

In article <6456@gssc.UUCP>, bradd@gssc.UUCP (Brad[null] Davis) writes:
> In article <1990Nov11.012226.18750@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
> >
> > I was just wondering which displays can support Windows 3.0?
> >You can post to this group or email me directly.  Thanks very
> >much in advance.

I recently bought a Seiko CM 2050 monitor (came bundled with an Orchid Pro
Designer II [1Meg]).  While the P.D. II wasn't my first choice in cards,
the price was right.

It is very hard not to gush forth about that monitor.  It's 19" Trinitron,
good for 1024x768.  It blows the doors off the NEC 5D.  I had a 5D for
comparison, and in less than 20 minutes I had my Trinitron based tube back.
Why?
	1) Crisper dots.
	2) Flatter screen - the Trinitrons, (Sony and Seiko) have NO
	    vertical curvature.  The have minimal horizontal curvature.  In
	    comparison, the 5D looks like a 1950's TV set where the corners
	    are aimed out in to space over your shoulder.
	3) Price - very comparable - The CM 2050 is $1,999 from CompuAdd,
	    who is rarely the cheapest but they are universal.

The Orchid P.D. II with 1 meg is about the same speed as my EGA card was,
but with alot more pixels (I run Windows 3.0 in 1024x768 x 256
exclusively).

Neil Kirby
...att!archie!nak