[comp.windows.misc] My mouse sometimes quits in W3.

jeff@cdp.UUCP (01/17/91)

> I have the same problem in 386enh mode but works fine if I run in
> standard mode.  Any help would be appreciated.  I am running a logitech
> serial mouse using the supplied windows 3.0 driver..  I should try the
> bb.

There are two Windows 3.0 drivers for the Logitech mouse.  One is
supplied with Windows 3.0 itself; the other comes from Logitech with
the mouse.  Logitech tells you to use their driver.  If you're seeing
this problem, ignore their advice and switch back to the original
driver.

(Logitech technical support people believe this solution, or even
admit that there is a problem.)

	Jeff Dean
	uunet!pyramid!cdp!jeff
	jeff@cdp.igc.org

lyle@netcom.UUCP (Lyle Fong) (01/18/91)

jeff@cdp.UUCP writes:

>> I have the same problem in 386enh mode but works fine if I run in
>> standard mode.  Any help would be appreciated.  I am running a logitech
>> serial mouse using the supplied windows 3.0 driver..  I should try the
>> bb.

>There are two Windows 3.0 drivers for the Logitech mouse.  One is
>supplied with Windows 3.0 itself; the other comes from Logitech with
>the mouse.  Logitech tells you to use their driver.  If you're seeing
>this problem, ignore their advice and switch back to the original
>driver.

>(Logitech technical support people believe this solution, or even
admit that there is a problem.)

I have the same problem with the Logitech Mouse.. sometimes, however,
it's not just windows.. but when I boot, the mouse driver says
the mouse is not found.  subsequently, of course, windows doesn't work
either.  When I shut the computer off.. it works again.  It is definitely
troublesome.. and my Microsoft mouse never had this problem.  Is there
a fix on the works?

Lyle
--

- America Online - Lyle Fong
- OggNET         - Corned Beef (#317/Dragon's Lair)

dconway@hpldsla.sid.hp.com (Dan Conway) (01/19/91)

lyle@netcom.UUCP (Lyle Fong) writes:

[regarding Logitech mouse not responding]

> I have the same problem with the Logitech Mouse.. sometimes, however,
> it's not just windows.. but when I boot, the mouse driver says
> the mouse is not found.  subsequently, of course, windows doesn't work
> either.  When I shut the computer off.. it works again.  It is definitely
> troublesome.. and my Microsoft mouse never had this problem.  Is there
> a fix on the works?
>
> Lyle

I believe that what you are seeing is a mouse hardware problem.  The mouse
has some active circuitry inside it which is powered by the port that it
is plugged into in the back of your computer.  Apparently the power supply in
the mouse can latch up sometimes when the computer is powered up.  I seem to
recall seeing this documented somewhere in the Logitech manual.  At any rate,
my solution when it happens to me is to unplug my mouse from the back of my
computer, count to five SLOWLY, plug the mouse back in, and reboot.  Rebooting
reloads the driver;  I also think that you can run a program that Logitech
supplies which reloads the driver without rebooting, but don't remember the
details.  At any rate, this usually works; if not I unplug the mouse for a
longer period of time, 30 seconds to a minute, and try again.  It usually only
takes one or two tries, and it happens infrequently enough that it is only
annoying, but not a real problem.

Dan Conway
dconway@hpldsla.sid.hp.com