[comp.windows.misc] GUI independent libraries

fhart@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Fred Hart) (03/21/91)

I am looking for information on GUI libraries that provide independence
from the native GUI running on a given maching. In particular I am looking
for a library which will allow applications to be portable between MS Windows
OS/2 PM, and possibly some flavor of X. I am currently aware of the XVT
toolkit and the CommonView C++ library. Are there any others? How good are
these and others? Are they very restrictive in function since they must
run on these different systems? Many thanks in advance.

-- Fred Hart
   Fred.Hart@AtlantaGA.ncr.com

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (03/24/91)

From article <17705@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM>, by fhart@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Fred Hart):
> I am looking for information on GUI libraries that provide independence
> from the native GUI running on a given maching. In particular I am looking
> for a library which will allow applications to be portable between MS Windows
> OS/2 PM, and possibly some flavor of X. I am currently aware of the XVT
> toolkit and the CommonView C++ library. Are there any others? How good are
> these and others? Are they very restrictive in function since they must
> run on these different systems? Many thanks in advance.

HOOPS (Ithaca, N.Y.)  Hoops is actually a Graphics library (hierarchical
in nature) with significant abilities in user interface development.  Look
it up.  You might like it.

|Tom Hite					|  The views expressed by me |
|Manager, Product development			|  are mine, not necessarily |
|CADSI (Computer Aided Design Software Inc.	|  the views of CADSI.       |

ejp@bohra.cpg.oz (Esmond Pitt) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar23.200203.19492@ccad.uiowa.edu> cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) writes:
> From article <17705@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM>, by fhart@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Fred Hart):
>> I am looking for information on GUI libraries that provide independence
>> from the native GUI running on a given maching. In particular I am looking
>> for a library which will allow applications to be portable between MS Windows
>> OS/2 PM, and possibly some flavor of X. I am currently aware of the XVT
>> toolkit and the CommonView C++ library. Are there any others? How good are
>> these and others? Are they very restrictive in function since they must
>> run on these different systems? Many thanks in advance.

Lancorp Pty Ltd +61 3 283 7800, fax +61 3 629 5801 (Melbourne,
Australia) has a product called Presentation Services Manager which
gives you PM/Windows-like programming. It runs under Motif, PM, Windows
3, and Mac II.

Obviously you only get in general the LCD of facilities, but this
extends as far as pixmap- as well as text-handling. They also provide
system-independent services interfaces e.g. for file handling, memory
management &c.

Disclaimer: I wrote some of it.

--
Esmond Pitt, Computer Power Group
ejp@bohra.cpg.oz

guido@cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) (03/28/91)

fhart@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Fred Hart) writes:

>I am looking for information on GUI libraries that provide independence
>from the native GUI running on a given maching.

STDWIN isn't what you want because it doesn't support the platforms in
which you are most interested (PS/2 and MS Windows), but it is the
kind of interface you want: a complete windowing interface (windows,
menus, modal dialogs, mouse and keyboard input, scroll bars, drawing
primitives, ...) that is portable between platforms.  STDWIN is
available for Macintosh and X11.

If some company is interested in porting STDWIN to other platforms,
adding decent user documentation, and compete with XVT, I'd be happy
to help them (one at a time, please!).

STDWIN is available by anon. ftp from wuarchive.wustl.edu (in /pub/)
and gatekeeper.dec.com (in /pub/misc/); in Europe from hp4nl.nluug.nl
(in /pub/windows/).

--Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam <guido@cwi.nl>
(If you didn't guess, I wrote STDWIN)