[comp.windows.misc] Locking the setup for Windows 3.0

8416629@max.u.washington.edu (04/23/91)

Is there a way to disable the "save changes" box when you are exiting
Windows 3.0?

Also Is there a way lock the setup of Windows so that eventhough
someone changed the size of the winodows, moved the icons
it all comeback to the same setup next time Windows is rebooted?

Could you send me your reply to the below address or post it
here for the benefits of others.
scott@max.u.washington.edu

Thanks in advance.

Scott K. Stephen

aragorn@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steve J White) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr22.234209.1@max.u.washington.edu> 8416629@max.u.washington.edu writes:
>Is there a way to disable the "save changes" box when you are exiting
>Windows 3.0?
>
>Also Is there a way lock the setup of Windows so that eventhough
>someone changed the size of the winodows, moved the icons
>it all comeback to the same setup next time Windows is rebooted?
>
>Could you send me your reply to the below address or post it

In order to disable the 'Save changes?' box just click the mouse on it
before you exit Program Mmanager.  This action should take the 'x' out of
the box next to the phrase 'Save changes?'.

As far as the window size & position saving that would have to be done in
some sort of load macro, which of course I have very little experience
with.   Any takers?

- steve

--
"Laugh and the world laughs with you... |  All disclaimers apply...
     snore and you sleep alone."        |  except my own, of course.

In article <11316@uwm.edu>, aragorn@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steve J White) writes:
> In article <1991Apr22.234209.1@max.u.washington.edu> 8416629@max.u.washington.edu writes:
>>Is there a way to disable the "save changes" box when you are exiting
>>Windows 3.0?
>>
>>Also Is there a way lock the setup of Windows so that eventhough
>>someone changed the size of the winodows, moved the icons
>>it all comeback to the same setup next time Windows is rebooted?
>>
>>Could you send me your reply to the below address or post it
>
> In order to disable the 'Save changes?' box just click the mouse on it
> before you exit Program Mmanager.  This action should take the 'x' out of
> the box next to the phrase 'Save changes?'.

Uppss... I guess I didn't make myself clear. When I said disabling the
"Save Changes" box I mean completely disabling that option (in effect
turning it into gray). Windows 3.0 will do this if for some reason
it looses the group information for one of its folders. When this happen,
when exiting Windows, the "Save Changes" will be gray and you won't
be able to click on it.
I was wondering if one can produce this in a more elegant way, since
with the above method, it will also give you an error message each time
you boot up Windows 3.0.

Since we have several users per workstation, somehow locking the opening
setup of Windows is very helpful. This way the more novice users won't
get so confused after an experience user leaves the workstation with Windows
in a state of total chaos.

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

aragorn@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steve J White) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.083518.1@max.u.washington.edu> 8416629@max.u.washington.edu writes:
>Uppss... I guess I didn't make myself clear. When I said disabling the
>"Save Changes" box I mean completely disabling that option (in effect
>turning it into gray). Windows 3.0 will do this if for some reason
>it looses the group information for one of its folders. When this happen,
>when exiting Windows, the "Save Changes" will be gray and you won't
>be able to click on it.
>I was wondering if one can produce this in a more elegant way, since
>with the above method, it will also give you an error message each time
>you boot up Windows 3.0.
>
>Since we have several users per workstation, somehow locking the opening

Well, I'll try again, Scott.   ;-)

I would thik that SOMEwhere in either the system.ini or the win.ini files
there should be something that pertains to this.  I would say poke around
and look for anything that is related to defaults for the Windows setup and
pops into my mind...   or pops out.

- steve

--

dale@cec2.wustl.edu (Dale Frye) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr22.234209.1@max.u.washington.edu> 8416629@max.u.washington.edu writes:
>Is there a way to disable the "save changes" box when you are exiting
>Windows 3.0?
>
>Also Is there a way lock the setup of Windows so that eventhough
>someone changed the size of the winodows, moved the icons
>it all comeback to the same setup next time Windows is rebooted?

I created a batch file called WIN.BAT and installed it in a directory
that is before C:\win in the path (i.e. path=c:\bat;c:\win...).
This batch file does several things.
1: Insures windows is not already running. If so then exit the current DOS
            shell.
2: Insures the enviroment is set up the way I want.
3: Allows selected programs to be run on exiting windows. (i.e. Autocad R11)

This batch file could also copy a fresh copy of win.ini into the win dir.
You should also copy progman.ini and all *.grp files. I copy  all these
files on boot up. Each time a user is finished they logout which preforms
a reboot therefore the next person gets a clean copy.

I wish Windows allowed multiple win.ini to be merged. A system default
merged with a individual user's. Right now windows assumes one person to
one machine.  I have a student lab where a student could sit at any machine.
I have had numerous requests to maintain each student's preferences. (
I mount their personal directory from UNIX via NFS.)

Dale Frye
Washington University in St. Louis

serge@wam.umd.edu (Serge Knystautas) (04/24/91)

As per your question about saving window sizes and positions, there's
a shareware program out there called Aporia which is a substitute for
Program Manager which does keep track of window sizes and positions.
It takes some getting used to, but it also allows the use of windows
within windows, (folders within folders for a Mac user).  If you can get
used to it, it's great.  It even takes up less memory than Program Manager.
You should be able to get it without too much problem using FTP, I
think the latest version is 1.4
l8r.

icking@gmdzi.gmd.de (Werner Icking) (04/24/91)

aragorn@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steve J White) writes:

>In article <1991Apr23.083518.1@max.u.washington.edu> 8416629@max.u.washington.edu writes:
>>Uppss... I guess I didn't make myself clear. When I said disabling the
>>"Save Changes" box I mean completely disabling that option (in effect
>>turning it into gray). [...]

I know a solution which does  NOT  work. Make the PROGMAN.INI- and all
*.GRP-files read-only. Windows honors these seetings, but it crashes if
you try e.g. to change the display characteristics from 640x480 to 800x600.

Hope this helps (avoiding unneccesary experiments).

--
Werner Icking          icking@gmdzi.gmd.de          (+49 2241) 14-2443
Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung mbH (GMD)