[comp.windows.misc] Seeking advice on Window environment...

steved@hrshcx.csd.harris.com (Steve Daukas) (04/30/91)

Greetings!

I am seeking some advice on my PC environment...  I currently have
a 386sx, disk (soon to be 85 Meg), memory (4 meg), floppy (3.5 and 5.25),
VGA 1024x768, etc..  I run DOS 4.01, Coherent 3.0 (Unix knock-off),
Windows 3.0, and various applications (DOS, Windows, and Unix).

My problem:  I'm getting tired of having to either boot DOS or Unix,
fumble around with trying to make Windows 3.0 behave like a real
multitasking environment without getting a UAE (unrecoverable application
error), and waste alot of time switching between DOS, Windows,
applications, Unix utilities (implied reboot here), etc..

What I seek:  I am looking for an environment where I can run multiple
DOS-based sessions in multiple windows, windows-based applications like
Word For Windows, and be able to run something like Coherent in yet another
window.

Now, I don't really expect all of this at once, but I can't help but think
that a healthy subset exists.  I am even looking at OS/2 for all but the
Unix stuff...

Any advice, inputs, opinions, etc., would be very welcome!

Steve
--
.-------------------..-------------------------.
| Stephen C. Daukas ||  sdaukas@csd.harris.com |

aragorn@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steve J White) (04/30/91)

In article <1090@hrshcx.csd.harris.com> steved@hrshcx.csd.harris.com (Steve Daukas) writes:

>Greetings!
>fumble around with trying to make Windows 3.0 behave like a real
>multitasking environment without getting a UAE (unrecoverable application
>error), and waste alot of time switching between DOS, Windows,
>applications, Unix utilities (implied reboot here), etc..
>
>What I seek:  I am looking for an environment where I can run multiple
>DOS-based sessions in multiple windows, windows-based applications like
>Word For Windows, and be able to run something like Coherent in yet another
>window.

I think, from what I've read here, that the new version of OS/2 that is soon
to be released will do the above work for you.  Although, like many here
have said, we'll al believe it when we see it.

- steve

--
"Laugh and the world laughs with you... |  All disclaimers apply...
     snore and you sleep alone."        |  except my own, of course.

In article <11573@uwm.edu> aragorn@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steve J White) writes:
>In article <1090@hrshcx.csd.harris.com> steved@hrshcx.csd.harris.com (Steve Daukas) writes:

>>What I seek:  I am looking for an environment where I can run multiple
>>DOS-based sessions in multiple windows, windows-based applications like
>>Word For Windows, and be able to run something like Coherent in yet another
>>window.

>I think, from what I've read here, that the new version of OS/2 that is soon
>to be released will do the above work for you.  Although, like many here
>have said, we'll al believe it when we see it.

OK - How do I find out more about OS/2 release 2.0?  How about previous versions
of OS/2?  I went and bought Windows 3.0 because is wasn't very expensive, but I
don't want to buy OS/2 to find that it isn't real or that it won't fill my
needs...  Is there a news group that discusses OS/2?

Steve

--
.-------------------..-------------------------.
| Stephen C. Daukas ||  sdaukas@csd.harris.com |
| (617) 221-1834    || uunet!hcx1!misg!sdaukas |
`-------------------'`-------------------------'

In article <1090@hrshcx.csd.harris.com> steved@hrshcx.csd.harris.com (Steve Daukas) writes:
> What I seek:  I am looking for an environment where I can run multiple
> DOS-based sessions in multiple windows, windows-based applications like
> Word For Windows, and be able to run something like Coherent in yet another
> window.

OK, you want a cheap X development kit (SCO ODT, ESIX, etc) and Merge/386
or VP/IX (I personally prefer Merge: configuring VP/IX is a pain and for the
stuff I run it's a tossup how well they perform). Then you can run DOS in an
Xterm window.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com