[comp.windows.misc] New Tandy RLX is not a windows box :-[

lev@slced1.nswses.navy.mil (Lloyd E Vancil) (04/28/91)

Incase any of you out there are taken in by Tandy's advertising, like
my wife was, I thought I'd pass on a warning.

Tandy has just marketed their 1000 RLX (10 mhz, 80286, 40mb, vga 3.5-1.44 &
Mouse)  for 1199.95 + monitor.  But here's the real story.
	1. Ram >640 is "shadow ram"
	2. Processor is 80286 but bus is 8 bits
	3. To use a mouse in windows;
		a. remove pretty little bus mouse provided with machine
		b. place in nearest circular file
		c. install logitec serial mouse.
     Tandy still hasn't got the message.
     My wife did :-\

--
 | suned1!lev@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov | * S.T.A.R.S.!   .       +      o       |
 | lev@suned1.nswses.navy.mil    | The Revolution has begun!   .     +    |

mikep@mcs213h.cs.umr.edu (Mike Prather) (05/15/91)

In article <9484@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL> lev@slced1.nswses.navy.mil (Lloyd E Vancil) writes:

>Incase any of you out there are taken in by Tandy's advertising, like
>my wife was, I thought I'd pass on a warning.
>
>Tandy has just marketed their 1000 RLX (10 mhz, 80286, 40mb, vga 3.5-1.44 &
>Mouse)  for 1199.95 + monitor.  But here's the real story.
>	1. Ram >640 is "shadow ram"
>	2. Processor is 80286 but bus is 8 bits
>	3. To use a mouse in windows;
>		a. remove pretty little bus mouse provided with machine
>		b. place in nearest circular file
>		c. install logitec serial mouse.
>     Tandy still hasn't got the message.
>     My wife did :-\

I couldn't see running Windows on a 10Mhz 286 regardless of the brand.  I
say you either get AT LEAST a 25Mhz 386DX w/ 4M RAM or forget it.  That's
what I have, and it barely does the job.  A cache system would do better.
So, I don't run Windows as my main windowing environment.  I use Desqview.
When I want to run a Windows program, (which is rare...) I load Windows up
in real mode from within Desqview.  Works great.

However,
since you did mention Tandy, my views on that company can be summed up in
very few words.  High prices, lots of hype, LOW performance.  I remember
when they were selling Seagate ST225's w/ controller for >$800 when the
rest of the world was charging $300.  Your only hope is to unload your
system on somebody who doesn't know anything about computers, then go
looking through Computer Shopper and find yourself a REAL deal.

Don't EVER buy a computer from Tandy.  A 10Mhz 286 w/ VGA is wort  <$700
today.  And those monitors!  YUCK!  I've NEVER seen a worse quality monitor
than those sold by Tandy.  Check them out next time you're there.  You can
actually see each individual pixel without even straining your eyes!

lev@slced1.nswses.navy.mil (Lloyd E Vancil) (05/15/91)

In article <2749@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> mikep@mcs213h.cs.umr.edu (Mike Prather) writes:
>I couldn't see running Windows on a 10Mhz 286 regardless of the brand.  I
>say you either get AT LEAST a 25Mhz 386DX w/ 4M RAM or forget it.  That's
>what I have, and it barely does the job.  A cache system would do better.
>So, I don't run Windows as my main windowing environment.  I use Desqview.
>When I want to run a Windows program, (which is rare...) I load Windows up
>in real mode from within Desqview.  Works great.

I run windows in my 286/16 w 4 mb and an 80 mb hdd & Teseng super VGA.  My
loving wife wanted a machine of her own and was all excited about the Tandy
Until I did a little exploring...

>Don't EVER buy a computer from Tandy.  A 10Mhz 286 w/ VGA is wort  <$700
>today.  And those monitors!  YUCK!  I've NEVER seen a worse quality monitor
>than those sold by Tandy.  Check them out next time you're there.  You can
>actually see each individual pixel without even straining your eyes!

Sorry- you haven't seen the rlx.  Vga monitor that's pretty good.  You are
talking of their CGAs.  The rlx goes for 1195 with a 40mb Ide and 1 meg of
ram, bus mouse, 1.44 floppy, 2 games 1 serial, stero sound, and 1 expansion.
Not a bad deal when you look at the extras, just no windows....

At any rate, the sales person was certain it would do windows, until I tried it.In the store, before $$ went on the table.   -Boy was he surprised;-)