[comp.windows.misc] Dos server or X11 for PC

hsteve@hydra.unm.edu (06/06/91)

I would like to here from all of you out there about the following setup.
First, the question is "is it better to get a Dos server for all of the Unix
users that we current have, or get PC and install X11 for PC with Unix?"
This way user can both run Dos and Unix.

For Dos server we are thinking of getting X-terminals, since we want bothh
MSwidow and X11.

For PC we want to get X-11 and Unix and networking these PCs together.

1) are these options come only in hardware/software or both?
2) which would be a better choice in term of reliability, speed, cost ?
3) how hard is it to intergrate each of the system mentioned above?
4) Pro and Con for each system?
5) I there a better configuration than what mentioned above for user who
   wants to have X11 and MS-dos?

Thanks you all.

--
    _---_     Steve
   / o o \    hsteve@hydra.unm.edu, hsteve@carina.edu

chris@visionware.co.uk (Chris Davies) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun05.191512.25621@ariel.unm.edu> hsteve@hydra.unm.edu writes:
>For Dos server we are thinking of getting X-terminals, since we want bothh
>MSwidow and X11.

Why not use one of the several X-under-MSWindows products?  This would
give you both MSWindows (and therefore DOS shells if you've got
386-based PCs) and X.

We sell one, called XVision; there are others too.  In the US you can
get it from either Unipress or GSS.

Chris
--
         VISIONWARE LTD, 57 Cardigan Lane, LEEDS LS4 2LE, England
    Tel +44 532 788858.  Fax +44 532 304676.  Email chris@visionware.co.uk

zack@magus.UUCP (Zacharias_Beckman) (06/09/91)

> We sell one, called XVision; there are others too.  In the US you can
> get it from either Unipress or GSS.

Could you mention a few of these "others?"  I'm not actually looking to
purchase, but an curious as to how many there are, who does them, etc.
Thanks in advance!
--
Zacharias J. Beckman  |  To be "matter of fact" about the world is to
Lower Code Dweller    |  blunder into fantasy -- and dull fantasy at that,

steve@unipalm.uucp (Steve Ladlow) (06/10/91)

zack@magus.UUCP (Zacharias_Beckman) writes:

>> We sell one, called XVision; there are others too.  In the US you can
>> get it from either Unipress or GSS.

>Could you mention a few of these "others?"  I'm not actually looking to
>purchase, but an curious as to how many there are, who does them, etc.
>Thanks in advance!

There are two "others" in the MS Windows PC X Server marketplace.

IIM, Anaheim, U.S.A. have X11/AT. phone: (714) 939 0746

X11/AT can be obtained in Europe by contacting Unipalm in England.
       Phone: (0)954 211797

HCL, Canada also have a product.