[comp.windows.misc] GEOWORKS

bemery@nmsu.edu (Bryan Emery) (02/09/91)

Does anybody have any information about GEOWorks or know of any articles or
similar information I can get about the package?  Apparently, it is GUI softwarethat will run on non-386 computers.  I saw a package at WaldenSoft run and the
"look and feel" was very much like Openlook.  It could be a nice alternative to
Windows 3.0.  I was just curious if anybody out in netland had used it or knew
anything about it.   Please e-mail to me and I will post a response if there
is other interest.

Bryan Emery
Graduate Student
New Mexico State University

philr@knecht.Eng.Sun.COM (Phil Robar) (02/12/91)

bemery@nmsu.edu (Bryan Emery) writes:

>Does anybody have any information about GEOWorks or know of any
>similar information I can get about the package?

PC Magazine; 2/12/91; page 29.

Byte; August, 91; page 108.  (Article on OS/90, an OS from Geoworks.)

Geoworks
2150 Shattuck Ave,
Berkeley, CA. 94704
(415) 644-0883

--
Philip Robar
Sun Microsystems

cyj9h@kelvin.seas.Virginia.EDU (che' m.c.) (02/15/91)

In article <4070@orbit.cts.com> reichard@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kevin Reichard) writes:
>Geoworks managed to trash *two* of my hard drives. Stay away! Stay away!

 .......... stuff deleted ............

>Not recommended. Use at your own risk.

 Not to start a flamewar, but I have Ensemble and it works wonderfully on a
 Zeos 286 Notebook.

 peace-
 -charles
 cyj9h@Virginia.EDU

reichard@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kevin Reichard) (05/24/91)

dannie@coplex.uucp (Dannie Gregoire) writes:
>I ran across a PC windowing package the other day called GEOWORKS written
>by New World Software of Berkley.  I only had a few moments to use it
>but it left a very good first impression.  It appeared to be somewhat
>X-WINDOW compatible/like (ie it had XPHOON as a backdrop, and had an
>OPEN LOOK look).
>
>Does anyone have any experience with this GUI to offer any PRO's and CON's?
>Thanks in advance
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |    Dannie J. Gregoire            \\\\////         dannie@coplex         |
> |  Copper Electronics Inc.         ////\\\\         !uunet!coplex!dannie  |
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+

1) It's PC/GEOS from Berkeley Softworks.

2) It is not X Window compatible. The interface is based on Motif guidelines,
but that's as far as it goes.

3) It trashed two of my hard drives.

4) There are no apps for it. Why run a windowing environment without any
applications?

5) There is not a developer's kit available.

--K.

UUCP: {tcnet, crash, quest}!orbit!pnet51!reichard
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!reichard@nosc.mil
INET: reichard@pnet51.orb.mn.org

tom@itc.univie.ac.at (Tom Kovar) (06/24/91)

  I'm posting this for a friend of mine, who has no network access. He is
looking for the address of the company, making/distributing the GEOWORKS
system (as far as I understand it, it is some kind of windowing for MSDOS).

  Unfortunately, I do not follow this newsgroup regularly, so I'd be very
pleased if you could send me this address per e-mail.

  Many thanks in advance
							Tom