[comp.protocols.kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V6 #11

SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU (Frank da Cruz) (05/21/87)

Info-Kermit Digest         Thu, 21 May 1987       Volume 6 : Number 11

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -
	Mailing List Problems
	New Release of NIH TSO Kermit
	New TSO Kermit for the 3708 Front End
	New Version of CDC Cyber NOS Kermit
	Announcing Kermit for Lilith Workstation in Modula-2
	New Release of Acorn BBC Kermit
	New C-Kermit for the Sinclair QL version 1.10
	Another New Kermit for Sinclair QL
	Version 1.01 of Kermit for HP86/87 Available
	Announcing Kermit for ICL PC Quattro
	New Apple II Kermit 3.75 Driver for Mountain Hardware CPS Card
	Kermit Tape Reader Sperry/Univac/Unisys Systems

  REPORTS -
	Apple ][ Kermit Comments
	Unix V.3 & kermit
	VMS Kermit HELP files
	Qkermit problems

  QUERIES -
	MVS/TSO Kermit to work with Amdahl V7 & V8?
	Sending BREAK from Toshiba 3100?
	Is Kermit available for Digital VAXmate?
	Kermit for Wang VS-100?

Date: 21 May 87 3:22:00PM EDT
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B>

Due to many changes in network host tables recently installed on CU20B,
there was a lot of trouble mailing the last Info-Kermit digest, V6 #10.
Some people got 0 copies, some got 1, some got 2.  If you receive this one
but didn't receive the last one, send a note to Info-Kermit-Request@CU20B to
get a copy.  If you got an extra copy, just send it back (just kidding).
Since #10 was sent out, the mailing list has been corrected to mostly agree
with the new host tables.  Apologies for the inconvenience.

------------------------------

From: "Roger Fajman" <RAF@NIHCU>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 87  01:53:55 EDT
Subject: New Release of NIH TSO Kermit

This is to announce release 1.0.1 of NIH MVS/TSO Kermit, which fixes some
installation problems.  There were problems with the installation JCL,
assembling the table module under assembler FX, and using MVS/370 instead of
MVS/XA.  I think that these have all been fixed.  The bugs in NIH TSO Kermit
itself are currently being worked on.  I hope that we will have a release with
those fixes in a few weeks.

[Ed. - Thanks, Roger!  The new files are in KER:TSN*.* at CU20B, or TSN* *
on BITNET, available from KERMSRV at CUVMA, and will appear on Kermit Tape B.]

------------------------------

Date: 15 May 87 1:23:45
From: Christine M. Gianone <SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: New TSO Kermit for the 3708 Front End

And here's still another new TSO Kermit.  This is actually the original,
primitive version 1.0, modified to support the 3708 front end, add missing
error messages, and tested under MVS/XA and TSO/E.  The modifications were
done by Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Sungard Central Computer Facility in
Philadelphia, and sent in on tape.  The source files are available in
KER:TS3*.* for anonymous FTP from host CU20B, in TS3* * on CUVMA for BITNET
retrieval via KERMSRV, and will appear on Kermit Tape B.  Let's hope that
the 3708 support can be integrated into (one of?) the "mainline" TSO
Kermits, and eventually also into the forthcoming portable 370 Kermit.

------------------------------

Date: 12-MAY-1987 15:58:49
From: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: New Version of CDC Cyber NOS Kermit

Here is version 1.30 of Kermit for CDC Cyber running NOS 2.4, written by
Allison Ballard and Paul Jarvis of Imperial College, London.  This version
has support for sliding windows, and is written in Compass.

The files you should get are:

NOSKER.BWR - "Beware" file
NOSKER.CAP - NOS Kermit capabilities at a glance
NOSKER.DOC - User manual
NOSKER.INS - Installation instructions
NOSKER.SRC - Source program

                Alan Phillips, Lancaster University

[Ed. - Thanks for sending these files, Alan, and thanks to Allison & Paul at
Imperial College for writing the program.  This puts the number of CDC Cyber
Kermits at 4.  This version has been added to Tape C, since Tape B is
getting rather full.  Hopefully in the future, the two Compass versions can
be merged.  The files are available for network access as KER:NOS*.* on
CU20B and NOS* * on CUVMA (BITNET).]

------------------------------

Date: 15 May 87 4:01:32PM EDT
From: Christine M. Gianone <SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Announcing Kermit for Lilith Workstation in Modula-2

This is to announce Kermit for the Lilith Workstation, written in entirely
Modula-2 by Matthias Aebi, Institut fuer Informatik, University of Zuerich,
Switzerland.  While certain dependencies on the Lilith Medos file system are
implicit in the program, it should be readily portable to any system that
has a Modula-2 compiler.

The files are in KER:M2*.* (actually, K3:, i.e. it goes on "Tape C"),
available for anonymous FTP from CU20B, or M2* * via KERMSRV from BITNET
host CUVMA.  M2*.MOD are the Modula-2 source files; M2*.DEF are the symbol
definition files.  M2KERM.HQX is a Macintosh Word formatted user manual to
be unpacked on a Mac by BinHex; M2KERM.DOC is the same, but saved "text
only" as a plain ASCII file and then edited by hand to remove excess blank
lines & rejustify the paragraphs (apologies to Matthias for whatever
mangling this may have caused).  There's another BinHex document,
M2TITLE.HQX, whose original name was something about TitelBlatt (i.e. Title
Page), but I couldn't find the accompanying application to display it on the
Mac.  Many thanks to Matthias for contributing this version, and to
Columbia's Carlos Albuerne for actually bringing it to us on a Mac diskette.

------------------------------

Date: 15-May-1987 12:16:44
From: Christine M. Gianone <SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: New Release of Acorn BBC Kermit

This is to announce version 1.45 of Acorn BBC Kermit from Alan Phillips of
Lancaster University (SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK),
which replaces version 1.30 of April 1986.  The program runs on Acorn models
B, B+, B+128, and Master 128, with Acorn DFS, 1770 DFS, ADFS, Econet, or any
other Acorn-compatible filing system.

Version 1.45 comes with numerous big fixes and improvements, new
documentation (including a 124-page manual), and a new version (1.50) of
Alan's free 65c02 assembler (which can be used to assemble the program by
those who don't have the ADE assembler).

The new version is in KER:BBC*.* (really K3:, or Tape C), for anonymous FTP
from CU20B, and as BBC* * on BITNET/EARN from KERMSRV at CUVMA.  The file
BBC145.ANN lists in detail the changes to BBC Kermit since version 1.30.
The source is in BBCKER.ASM, which is actually the concatenation of many
smaller files (explained in comments at the top).

Version 2.0 of BBC Kermit (which will appear in "many months") will support
sliding windows.  Thanks to Alan for producing this new version and sending
it to us over BITNET.

------------------------------

Date: 8-MAY-1987 14:50:05
From: Jonathan Marten
Via: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: New C-Kermit for the Sinclair QL version 1.10

It seems that new versions of Kermit for the Sinclair QL are appearing thick
and fast, and this parcel is no exception.  I have taken the original C
version written by Robert Coughlan of Liverpool University and greatly
expanded it, replacing may of the features which were removed from its
C-Kermit base to reduce its size; and also added some new ones.  These
include default devices, file name translation and transfer interruption;
however server mode is not supported, which the BCPL version in [.QL2] does.

It also does not support the Q-Connect module or any form of flow control
other than CTS/RTS.  It however includes most of the interactive command
parser features of full C-Kermit.  Hopefully you (or someone out there!)
will find a use for it.

Full documentation is supplied in QLKER.DOC.  This version is written to be
compiled using the Metacomco C development system.  The files need to be
renamed before compilation.

If it turns out that somebody is interested in using this version, I would
be pleased to receive bug reports or improvement suggestions.
Unfortunately, I have no electronic mail address so I cannot support them
that way.  Perhaps some other way could be found.

Jonathan Marten
89 Austen Road
Farnborough
Hampshire GU14 8LG
ENGLAND
(0252) 521894

[Ed. - These files have replaced the old version as KER:QLK*.* on CU20B for
anonymous FTP access.  The old version is in KO:QLK*.* for now.  BITNET
users may ask KERMSRV at CUVMA for them as QL* *, and they are on Kermit
Tape C for mail orders from Columbia.]

------------------------------

Date: 1-MAY-1987 14:50:11
From: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: Another New Kermit for Sinclair QL

Author - David Harper, Dept. of Applied Maths, Liverpool University
(SX36 @ UK.AC.LIV.IBM)

This version of Kermit for QDOS is written in BCPL and is based upon
C.G.Selwyn's Tripos implementation.  [Ed. - We never saw the Tripos version.
If anyone out there cares about it, we can try to unearth it.]

The main features are:

(1) It is executed as a QDOS job and so it can run in parallel with other
    jobs, including SuperBasic. This means that all the facilities of the
    QL are available, even when file-transfer is in progress.

(2) It can operate in both local and server mode - the latter is ideal for
    transfer between the QL and another micro, which can view the QL as a
    remote 'mainframe'.

(3) A simple teletype terminal-emulator is provided for use when the QL is
    required to communicate with a mainframe.

(4) Software support is provided to allow QL-Kermit to be used with the
    Tandata QConnect communications device. This is recommended when
    the remote mainframe uses XON/XOFF handshaking, since the QL hardware
    can only do CTS/RTS handshaking.

(5) The TAKE command is provided to allow the user to put often-used
    sequences of Kermit commands into a file.

(6) A HELP command is provided to remind the user of the commands which
    can be issued. In addition, HELP SET displays all the SETtable
    options.

Copies of QL-Kermit can be obtained by sending a formatted microdrive or
3.5 inch disk with a padded SAE to

  David Harper
  Dept of Applied Maths and Theoretical Physics
  The University
  P.O. Box 147
  Liverpool   L69 3BX
  ENGLAND

(This address is only valid until September 1987, and only within UK)

At present, the source code files and the EXECable code just fit onto a single
microdrive. They occupy about 207 blocks. In view of probable future
extensions, it might be advisable to send two microdrives or a disk if you want
both source code and EXEC code files.

The BCPL source code should be compiled using Metacomco's BCPL Development Kit
(Vn. 2.0 or after).

[Ed. - This new implementation of QL Kermit is in KER:QL2*.* on CU20B,
QL2* * on CUVMA for BITNET KERMSRV access, and on Kermit Tape C.]

------------------------------

Date: 29-APR-1987 15:36:36
From: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: Version 1.01 of Kermit for HP86/87 Available

On its way to you is version 1.01 of Kermit for the HP86/87, by Martin Rootes
of Sheffield City Polytechnic, UK.  This release cures some flow control
problems in version 1.00.

The files for this release are:

HP8KER  BOO     Complete program - plus file header for boot programs.
HP8KER  BAS     Complete program - no comments, includes null lines.
HP8KRC  BAS     Complete program - with comments.

which should replace the existing ones.  All other files are unchanged.

[Ed. - These files are in KER:HP8*.* on CU20B, HP8* * on CUVMA, and are
available on Kermit Tape A (moved from Tape C).]

------------------------------

Date: 13-MAY-1987 14:20:57
From: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: Announcing Kermit for ICL PC Quattro

Here is a Kermit for ICL PC Quattro and PC 2 micros running Concurrent
CP/M-86 (Concurrent DOS).  It's by Chris Lock, Nottingham University.  I
think I sent these long ago, but they seem to have got lost somewhere.

The files in this lot are:

  CN8ICM.A86,CN8IPR.A86,CN8XIC.A86,CN8XIC.H86,CN8XIC.MSG

The CN8I*.ASM files are slight modifications to the system-independent files
that this version has to have in order to work.  The changes aren't
appropriate to other implementations.

[Ed. - Thanks, Alan.  These files have been added to the other Concurrent
CP/M-86 Kermit files in K3:, and placed in KERMSRV for BITNET/EARN access,
and on Kermit Tape C.]

------------------------------

Date: 14-MAY-1987 09:20:11
From: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: New Apple II Kermit 3.75 Driver for Mountain Hardware CPS Card

Files A2CPS.HEX and A2CPS.M65 contain the hex and source respectively to use
the Mountain Hardware CPS card with Apple Kermit 3.75.

The driver is contributed by Alan Thomson, Department of Chemistry,
Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK (JANET mail address
CHA001@UK.AC.LANCS.VAX2)

[Ed. - Thanks!  The files are in KER:A2CPS.* on CU20B, and similarly on
CUVMA KERMSRV, and included with Apple II Kermit 3.75 on Tape A.]

------------------------------

Date: April 21, 1987
From: Mike Lucich (via tape)
Subject: Kermit Tape Reader Sperry/Univac/Unisys Systems

We here at Ft Leavenworth initially had a rough time reading the KERMIT
release tape on our Unisys (aka Sperry, Univac) 1100 mainframe and send you
the following program in the hope others will find it usefull.

We run both assembler and Pascal versions of KERMIT on our mainframe and
have made several minor changes to accomodate MS-DOS KERMIT Version 2.27
through our ancient C/SP front end processors.  Fortunately with MSKERMIT
version 2.29 these kludges are no longer required (the ability to set
handshake to any character solves our problems nicely).

Please feel free to refer any Unisys users with problems with KERMIT to us,
if we might help them.  Also please return our tape with the latest KERMIT
distribution to the address above.  We thank you!

Mike Lucich
USA ISC DOIM
Unisys Support Team
ATTN: ATZL-GMO-IA
Ft Leavenworth, KS  66027-5700

[Ed. - The COBOL program that reads a file from a Kermit tape (the format is
either EBCDIC OS Standard Label Format V or else ASCII ANSI Label Format D;
it's not clear from the message, most most likely it's the EBCDIC tape,
since this program itself arrived on an EBCDIC tape)... is in
KER:UNIVAC.INS, along with this message.]

------------------------------

Date: 11-MAY-1987 09:33:49
From: Martin J Carter <majoc@uk.ac.nott.maths>
Subject: Apple ][ Kermit Comments

I've seen mentions recently in the Digest of Apple ][ Kermit, and I thought
I'd add my two penn'oth.

I have a rather battered Apple ][ Europlus, which I inherited with the
office, and am attempting to use a Kermit which announces itself as
"Stevens/CU-Apple ][ Kermit-65 ver 2.1a" (all in uppercase, as I'm working
with the naked original, without benefit of 80-column card or safety net),
which I pulled from Lancs last month and installed as per docs (but without
any bug patches not already in APPLEK.HEX).  We are having several problems,
which are probably related.

1) When I attempt to transfer a file to the Apple, the name gets mangled,
consistently: "applek.hex" becomes "!00,%+.(%8", at least on my screen.
(Numbers and punctuation get through OK, but the resultant filename can
never be kosher, so all you can do with the received file is delete it with
FID.)  This *only* happens when RECEIVEing or GETting files from a host
which sends the filename in lower case (in the F packet (?)).  There's ways
round it, but it's messy, and had me short-circuited for quite a time.

2) When I do SHOW ALL, many of the responses show up as blanks: VT52, IBM,
LOCAL-ECHO, EIGHT-BIT-QUOTING, FILE-WARNING, and FILE-BYTE-SIZE.

3) Text files transfer from the Apple OK, and binary files appear to
transfer also, but turn out to be parity-stripped on arrival.  (Note that
EIGHT-BIT-QUOTING and FILE-BYTE-SIZE are amongst those reported as blanks by
SHOW above.)  Debugging refused to work as well, which is at best confusing.

On further investigation, it turns out that the binary image generated by
APPDXL from APPLEK.HEX ends somewhat further on than implied by the "save
file length" parameter L$4E00 used in the documentation.  When I used the
slightly larger value L$5000, Problem (2) went away, and I've no doubt so
did Problem (3).  (Should the docs be fixed, or just post a "beware" file?)

I've just yesterday pulled the A2 AppleDOS/ProDOS Kermit from Lancs, so I'll
let you know if Problem (1) has persisted into this version.  In the
meantime, since the Stevens/CU APP Kermit is still around, I thought it best
that others profit by my blunderings.

Yours in plaster,

        Bruised of Nottingham <majoc@maths.nott.ac.uk>

[Ed. - Thanks for the report, which we've added to the .BWR file for this
version.  Meanwhile, any comments from users of any of the various Apple II
Kermit programs?]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 May 87 09:03:31 EDT
From: Russell Nelson <bh01@clutx.bitnet>
Subject: Unix V.3 & kermit

Have you heard anything about using kermit with Unix V.3?  AT&T has a new
terminal driver (uugetty) for modem lines that does not work well with
kermit.

I've finally got 'cu' working.  kermit dies because uucp owns the port.
I've tried changing ownership and protection on the port.  cu or uugetty
keeps changing them back.

[Ed. - If users of Sys V.3 can supply details or fixes, we'll include them
in the next release of C-Kermit.]

------------------------------

Date: 15-APR-1987 15:18:59
From: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: VMS Kermit HELP files

Any idea what's happened to VMSSYS.HLP and VMSUSR.HLP? They don't seem to
exist any more (people are asking me where the help info is on the new
TRANSFER command.....)  Alan

[Ed. - I'm not sure what the difference is between them and the current
VMSMIT.HLP, but the old files you mentioned have been put back in the VMS
Kermit distribution, in hopes that someone will straighten them all out.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 87 10:42:36 GMT
From: CAPURSO@IBACSATA
Subject: Qkermit problems

We are linking our computing resources using kermit and all went ok
using Unix-kermit , CMS-Kermit , Ms-Dos kermit downloaded from Columbia.
But we had some problems using QKERMIT emulating TEK4010.
1 - we got QKMSTV.HEX, converted to QKMSTV.EXE
2 - we got source, recreated the overlay KERMIT.000
3 - we got QKVT1.TBL, renamed KEYTABLE.DAT
4 - we get an error when a graphical application starts writing:
       TURBO GRAPHICS error #1 in procedure #0 . Press Return
    we give RETURN and all goes ok. STRANGE ... ?
    We read on QKMSTV.BWR that perhaps we need the file 4X6.FON . SURE ?
5 - we rebuilt KERMIT.000 using QKMSVT, because we DO have TURBO PASCAL
       but NOT the graphical toolbox . Then, we renamed KERMIT.000 and all
       went OK. We have the plots, but why don't you distribute also the
       overlays?     THANK YOU - MARIO

[Ed. - Your comments have been forwarded to the contributor, VIC@QUCDN.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 87 12:43 EST
From: JFisher@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: MVS/TSO Kermit to work with Amdahl V7 & V8?

We have two IBM/370 plug-compatibles (Amdahl V7 & V8) on which we have tried
the MVS/TSO Kermit from Toronto with indifferent success. We got it to work
on the V8 but not on the V7; the version on the V8 has twice died for
reasons uncertain/unknown. We are contemplating trying to adapt the NIH
version (which runs under MVS/XA)to our non-XA systems.  We would GREATLY
like to communicate with anyone out there in the IBM world whose
configuration approximates ours, for exchange of information.

We run MVS 3.8, SP 1.3.4 ; the TP packages in the host are ACF/VTAM V2.1
and TCAM10. The TP front-end packages are ACF/NCP 2.1 (SDLC) and EP (2703)
(Async/Bisync).

If you are listening and would be willing to share your experiences, please
send mail to JFisher @ MIT-MULTICS.ARPA.  Thanks in advance !

------------------------------

Date: Thu 14 May 87 00:16:01-EDT
From: Michael van Biema <MICHAEL@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Sending BREAK from Toshiba 3100?

I ported MSKERMIT to my Toshiba 3100, but BREAK does not seem to work.  Does
anybody have any experience with this problem?  I am using the Toshiba internal
modem.

Michael

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 May 87 16:07 CST
From: <MCGUIRE%GRIN2.BITNET@CUVMB.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Is Kermit available for Digital VAXmate?

Has anyone ported Kermit to the Digital VAXmate?  The VAXmate is IBM
compatible, and includes MS-Windows.  I can't find a way to bootstrap Kermit.
The standard package apparently does not include a language or the assembler.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ed McGuire
Systems Coordinator
Grinnell College
MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET

[Ed. - Since the VAXmate is IBM compatible, you should be able to execute
MS-Kermit directly from an IBM PC or AT Kermit diskette.  If you don't have
a Kermit diskette, you should be able to use the "baby Kermit" in BASIC
(listed in the Kermit book) to bootstrap it (the VAXmate comes with BASIC,
right?).  Reports about the operation of IBM PC Kermit on the VAXmate would
be most welcome.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 May 87 05:16:27 PDT
From: Ted Medin <MEDIN-T@SHARK.NOSC.MIL>
Subject: Kermit for Wang VS-100?

 We need a kermit for the wang vs-100 can anyone help us.
                                Ted
                     mailing address "medin@nosc.mil"

[Ed. - Many people have requested Kermit for Wang VS systems over the years,
but no one has ever volunteered to write one.  Is there anyone out there who
might be equipped to do this?]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------