Date: Thu 6 Aug 87 12:19:49-EDT
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Announcing C-Kermit 4E(066), a Test Release

This is to announce an experimental new release of C-Kermit for Unix, VAX/VMS,
the Apple Macintosh, Apollo Aegis, the Commodore Amiga, and Data General
AOS/VS.

I've tested this version on various Unix systems (Ultrix 1.2 & 2.0 on various
VAXes, AT&T System V on a 3B20, and 2.9BSD on a Pro-380), but not on anything
else.  Since I'm about to leave on vacation for several weeks, I'd appreciate
it very much if during that time people could try it out on all the other
systems it hasn't been tested on, including Macintosh, Apollo, Amiga, VMS, Data
General, and many Unix variants (Xenix, Venix, Zeus, etc, especially in local
or dialout mode), and report back to Info-Kermit@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU, especially
if they have fixes to contribute.

The new release is 4E(066).  The major changes from 4D(061) (September 86)
include:

  . Support for long packets (but not sliding windows).

  . Performance improvements: less copying of received data, more efficient
    i/o, especially when receiving files.

  . C-Kermit now takes its init file always, even if invoked with command-line
    action arguments.

  . Easy escape from packet mode (^C^C at any time).

  . A file bytesize mask to 'set file type {text, binary} {7, 8}' so that
    Kermit can be used to strip 8th data bit during file transfer (e.g. of
    Wordstar files), independent of parity setting.  Default 8.

  . A new 'set terminal bytesize {7, 8}' command.  Default 7.

  . A 'set retry' command to adjust packet retransmission limit.

  . Support for the Macintosh with Megamax C, so that for the first time
    Mac Kermit can be built directly on the Mac.

  . New support Data General AOS, AOS/VS, MV/UX and possibly RDOS & other
    DG operating systems.

  . New support for Apollo Aegis.

  . Continued support for the Commodore Amiga.

  . New 'make' options for sys5r3, CIE Regulus, HP-UX, IBM IX/370, Zilog,
    and some others.

  . Better statistics reporting.

  . Major bugs fixed:

    - Loss of trailing control characters at end of file when sending.
    - 2-character checksum now works with 8-bit binary files.
    - Background/take-file interaction fixed (maybe?).
    - Insertion of spurious CRLF at position 4096 when doing 'kermit -k'.
    - Parsing of multine 'get' command (again).

  . Many minor bugs fixed.

Benchmarks show a slight improvement in efficience when sending files with
regular length packets, and large improvement when receiving files, and a very
dramatic improvement when receiving files when using parity.  The improvements
are most noticable on systems where the CPU is the bottleneck.  For instance,
transferring a 16K text file between a VAX-11/750 and a Rainbow at 9600 baud,
using even parity and 94-character packets, the following effective baud rates
were observed:

	    C-Kermit  Version
	    4D(061)   4E(066)

  Send        3500      3920   (a  12% improvement)
  Receive      800      4223   (a 428% improvement)

Use of long packets improves efficiency even more, up to a point (a function of
the packet length and the particular system) past which it degrades again.  A
good length for VAXes seems to be 300-800, where we get effective baud rates in
the 50-80% range (provided we have clean lines and no retransmissions) --
higher efficiency at lower baud rates, and even higher in all cases when
compression can be done.  For instance, the following efficiencies were
observed when sending the typical Unix 8K program core image (which has lots of
0's in a row) at 9600 baud from a Rainbow to each of two typically loaded
VAXes:

            ------ VAX 8700 -------    ------- VAX 750 -------
  Packet    Effective                  Effective
  Length    Baud Rate    Efficiency    Baud Rate    Efficiency
    40        4481          47%          3414          36%
    94        6518          68%          4217          44%
   200        7170          75%          4780          50%
   300        7966          83%          4780  (peak)  50%
   500        7966          83%          3773          39%
   800        8962  (peak)  93%          2757          29%
  1000        7966          83%          2390          25%

By the way, a caution to those who are running Ultrix 2.0 on VAX 8700's: Kermit
(any version), and probably any program like Kermit, doesn't work very well at
9600 baud on DMZ's with fast PC's like IBM ATs or PS/2s, but does OK at 4800
and below, or at 9600 baud with slower PCs like Rainbows, PC-1's, etc.  But
Kermit works fine with the same PCs on 750s, 8650s, and other non-BI VAXes.

A plea for help with the non-Unix versions:

. For all versions, there's been a change to CKxTIO.C (the system-dependent
  terminal i/o and interrupt procedures for system x) that allow for much more
  efficient operation with parity; the change is in ttinl(), and I tried to
  apply it to the various modules, probably incorrectly (and in some, I hadn't
  the slightest idea what to do).  All but the Unix version (ckutio.c) are
  untested.

. The Data General, Apollo, and Amiga support comes from Phil Julian and Jack
  Rouse at SAS Institute.  Their work applied to 4D(061), and I tried to
  integrate it into the new version.  I'm sending them a tape with the new
  files so they can test it out; meanwhile, if people with Data General
  systems can try to build from the source and report on the results, that
  would be great, especially if it still works.

. The VMS support hasn't changed, except for the ttinl() business.  I have
  a volunteer who's souping up the VMS support for C-Kermit (in light of
  the "stable" status of Stevens Kermit-32), and will send him a tape, and
  hope to get results back in a couple months.

. The Macintosh support is a major new change.  It now compiles directly
  on the Mac, under Megamax C, thanks to Jim Noble of Planning Research
  Corp, who will also get a tape.  Again, this support was added to 4D(061),
  and needs to be rebuilt for 4E(066).  If anybody can try this, please report
  back.  And if it works, send in new CKMKER.HQX and CKMKEY.HQX files for 4E.
  And if anybody wants to try converting it to Apple MPW C, or Lightspeed C,
  etc, that would be good too.

The files are in KER:XK*.* on CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU (available via anonymous FTP)
and XK* * on CUVMA (available via BITNET KERMSRV), and will be on Kermit Tape
B, and should also show up at Oklahoma State U for UUCP access within a couple
weeks.  The new files don't replace the current C-Kermit files (CK*.*), and
will not do so until all the systems demonstrably work.  In order to use these
files, you have to rename them to CK*.* (or ck*.*) so that the various
Makefiles and other build procedures work, and the include (.h) files have the
right names.  There's a program to do this, XKTOCK.C, which should be fairly
portable (if it doesn't work, the files can be renamed by hand).

Since the collection of files is quite large, you might want to make a
judicious selection if obtaining them over networks:

  Group       Size  Description

  KER:CKC*.*  111K  Required for all systems.
  KER:CKW*.*   13K  Wart, required for all systems.
  KER:CKU*.*  545K  For Unix, VMS, Data General, Apollo.  Includes Unix docs.
  KER:CKM*.*  488K  Macintosh specifics.
  KER:CKI*.*   96K  Amiga specifics.
  KER:CKD*.*  892K  Data General specifics.
  KER:CKV*.*   67K  VAX/VMS specifics.

  Total size approximately 2.2MB

  KER:CKP*.* (these files don't exist yet, but "P" is reserved for IBM PC)
  KER:CKH*.* (not available yet, reserved for Harris, see below)

(On BITNET/EARN, leave out the KER: and replace the period by a space.)

A detailed list of changes is in the file XKUKER.UPD, and the documentation
(CKUKER.MSS, .DOC, .BWR, .NR) has been revised to reflect the new features.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to take a shot at evaluating and/or
fixing all of this, and apologies for releasing it and then disappearing.
And thanks to the many people (listed in the XKUKER.UPD file) who contributed
to this release.

Finally, if you succeed in building and running this program for a any system
at all besides VAXes with Ultrix, please report back the system, OS, OS
version, and maybe some particulars like maximum baud rates, best packet size,
problems, idiosyncracies, and tricks.

- Frank

P.S. I just got a tape from David Wilson of the Waisman Center in Madison,
WI, with C-Kermit 4D(061) support for Harris computers with DMACPs or CNPs
(whatever those are!), but according to his letter, major changes were required
to the system-independent (CKC*.*, CKU*.*) modules.  It's too late to try to
integrate this with the new stuff.  Maybe in September.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 May 87 16:05 EDT
From: CCPHIL@TUCC.BITNET <Phil Julian, SAS Institute>
Subject: DG Kermit Announcement

The new Kermit for the Data General computers is ready for initial release.
This Kermit is the Unix Kermit version 4D(061) with DG-specific modules for
file I/O (ckdfio.c), terminal I/O (ckdtio.c), and the connect command
(ckdcon.c).  This version supports all the features that Unix Kermit provides,
except for the DIAL command and the SCRIPT command.  The program was developed
under AOS/VS rev 6 and rev 7.54, and with recompilation it may work on other
Data General systems, such as AOS/RT32 and MV/UX.  Version 3.21 of the C
compiler was used to develop the source.

In addition to the usual features of C-Kermit, some additional features are
available for the DG Kermit.

    * Data General wild cards and special symbols are supported when
      referencing files, including the following set: # + - * ^ = @

    * Fully qualified pathnames can be used to get or send files.
      Sub-directories are entered if the # character is used.

    * DG and non-DG terminals are supported, so that character deletes occur
      correctly on-screen for any terminal device.

    * Batch mode operation is supported.

    * I/O redirection of the "xeq" command is supported.

    * Baud rates up to 38400 are supported, and other additional baud rates
      are supported (enter "help set baud" at the Kermit prompt).

    * Terminal emulation on a dial-out line from the DG is very fast, and has
      been tested up to 19200.

    * The initialization file, .kermrc, is executed even when Kermit is used
      in command line mode.

    * The local space command accepts a directory parameter.

Documentation is also supplied (ckdker.doc), which is adapted to the Data
General from the regular Unik Kermit document (ckuker.doc).  Installation
guidelines are included (ckdker.hlp), and cli macros assist in compiling and
installing the source code.  A "beware" file lists all known bugs and quirks
(ckdker.bwr).

Data General users can get C-Kermit version 4D (061) in DG tape format,
including all source, binaries, and program files.  I finally got around to
loggin onto the NADGUG bulletin board, and announced C-Kermit.  When someone
wanted to know how to get a copy of the program, I asked for a volunteer to
distribute DG Kermit tapes.  I got an immediate response.  Please add this
address and information about providers of DG Kermit:

     Send a tape and return postage to

	Randy Burndt
	Data Processing Manager
	American Urological Association
	6750 West Loop South
	Suite 900
	Bellaire, Texas  77401

     and he will send you Kermit and some other DG utilities.

Thanks to Randy and the NADGUG BBS for a quick response.

Phil Julian

BITNET:  CCPHIL@TUCC
Usenet:  rti!sas!julian
Phone:   919-467-8000

[Ed. - Many thanks, Phil!  These files are included with the new C-Kermit 4E
files, KER:XKD*.*, plus some conditional compilation code in some of the XK[CU]
modules.  Let's hope that the 4E can be brought up quickly on the DG, and that
the tape volunteer will get a copy.]

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday   August  4, 1987  4:41 PM PDT.
From:<JAFW801%CALSTATE.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Announcing MS-DOS Kermit 2.30 for RMX86 & RMX286

This is to announce the test release of version 2.29C of Kermit for both the
RMX86 and RMX286 Operating Systems.  Relevant files are MSTRMX.BOO, for
RMX86, and MSTRX2.BOO, for RMX286, MSTRMX.DOC, and MSERMX.P86.

In addition to all of the changes that have gone into MSKermit in nearly four
full versions since 2.26, wildcard send, full RMX paths and file names, easing
of previous restrictions on RUNable commands, and performance improvements have
been added at the RMX end.

Wildcard send has been implemented through use of an auxiliary command, WC,
whose source is in MSERMX.P86.  A comment header includes SUBMIT file contents
to generate the command for both OS's.  As a fortuitous fallout to wild card
implementation, a list of file names may be used wherever Kermit accepts a wild
card file specification, as long as all files in the list are in the current
default directory.  For example:

SEND READ.ME.FIRST,*X*.A*,*.OBJ,ETC.ETC

works.  Try to say that in DOS!  Similarly, when Kermit is in SERVER mode, it
will respond to a GET file-name-list from the local Kermit.

The WC command is only necessary for wildcard sends.  Kermit works fine
without it.  If used, it should be in one of the default search directories.
It and Kermit needn't be in the same directory.  The WC command isn't
otherwise totally useless.  Try "WC ?able,movie*" as an alternative to
"DIR$ FOR ?able,movie*".

Note that all version 2.29C's aren't identical.  Kermit is a living,
changing in real-time thing.  If the version ID were changed with every
discrete instance of Kermit, the alphabet would be exhausted in less than
one month.  While comments are solicited, any "How come this one's not the
same as that one?" or "Why's that turkey's got a later version than my
superb system?" will be referred to this paragraph, if we're in a good mood.

[Ed. - Many thanks!  The files are in KER:MSTRMX.* and MSERMX.P86 available
through APRAnet by FTPing to CU20B as user ANONYMOUS (any password) and via
BITNET using KERMSRV.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 87 22:03 CST
From: <LOWEY@SASK.BITNET>
Subject: New MSPCTRAN program in Turbo Pascal

  I am sending a Turbo Pascal program which does the same thing as the
MSPCTRAN.BAS file.  I got tired of waiting so long to translate the .BOO
files I receive so often from Columbia, so I decided to re-write the
MSPCTRAN.BAS program in Turbo Pascal.  This sped up the translation
considerably.  On my IBM-AT clone, running at 10 Megahertz and using a hard
disk, unpacking the MSTIBT.EXE file using the BASIC program took over 7
minutes.  This program does it in 22 seconds.  Using floppy diskettes the
speed improvement should be even faster, because I buffer more of the output
in memory than the BASIC program does.

  I have tested the program using Turbo Pascal version 3.01C and 2.00B.  I
tried it on the MSTIBT.BOO file.  Doing a file compare on it when it is
finished shows that the BASIC and PASCAL versions are identical except for
the last few bytes, which are different because the files are padded out to
a block size of 128 characters.  This will not effect the KERMIT program
because these padding characters are not really part of the program.

  There is nothing in this program which is specific to IBM computers, so it
should compile fine using the generic MS-DOS version of Turbo Pascal.  There
is some Turbo Pascal specific code (the BLOCKWRITE and STRING[255] portions
especially) but the program should be easily transportable to other pascals.

  I hope you find this useful.  Consider it partial repayment for the
excellent service Columbia is doing for the Computing community.

  Kevin Lowey
  Computing Services
  University of Saskatchewan
  LOWEY@SASK (bitnet)
  ...!alberta!sask!lowey  (uucp)

[Ed. - Many thanks!  This goes into the collection, along with the
assembler, C, and Basic versions, as KER:MSBPCT.PAS.]

------------------------------

Date: 30-JUL-1987 14:06:06
From: David Sizeland   <dsurgery@uk.ac.lon.umds.uxt>
Via: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: Update to BOO-maker program MSBMKB.C

I have made some mods to msbmkb.c as it doesn't run properly on Unix systems
as is.  The changes are in the code to open the output file.  Under Unix,
open won't create the file if it doesn't exist, you have to use creat
instead.  Also, I am not sure about the 0x1ff in the open for the input
file, the compiler doesn't give an error but it is certainly superfluous.
The diffs are from the old file to the new.

David.

[Ed. - Thanks, your diffs have been added to MSBMKB.BWR.]

------------------------------

Date: 7-Aug-87 0:0:0 EDT
From: Christine M. Gianone <SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Modcomp Kermit Files Now Complete

The version of Kermit that was announced for the Modcomp Classic running
under the MAX IV operating system, contributed by Bob Borgeson, of SETPOINT,
Inc., announced in Info-Kermit V6 #3, 26 Jan 87, had a bunch of files missing.
The missing files have been restored, and the program should now be complete.
The files are in KER:MOD*.*.

------------------------------

Date: 4-Aug-87 0:0:0
From: Mark Vasoll <vasoll@a.cs.okstate.edu>
Subject: Re: "Okstate" Leaving the Net

In article <2293@a.cs.okstate.edu>, I write:
> The system "okstate" will be leaving Usenet as of August 14th.  All
> News and uucp mail connections will be dropped.

I haved received several mail messages asking how this will affect our
UUCP Kermit Distribution.  The answer is, not at all.  We will continue
to provide access to the full collection of Kermit sources via both
direct UUCP connections and via our custom Kermit server.  The only
change will be that the support address is now "uucp-support@a.cs.okstate.edu"
and will only be reachable via the Internet as mentioned in my original
posting.

Mark Vasoll
Computing and Information Sciences   Internet:  vasoll@a.cs.okstate.edu
Oklahoma State University            UUCP:  {cbosgd, ihnp4, rutgers, seismo,
Stillwater, Oklahoma                         uiucdcs}!okstate!vasoll

[Ed. - Also, in view of the new reorganization of Kermit distribution
into 5 areas, it'll take a while for OK State to reflect the new
arrangement.  Patience, please.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 87 12:17 MDT
From: <JRD@USU.BITNET> (Joe Doupnik jrd@usu.Bitnet)
Subject: MS-DOS Script PAUSE Command

In the latest Kermit Digest Ben Chang, chang%england.tcpip@ge-crd.arpa
commented that he experienced unstable delay times when using the MS Kermit
script command PAUSE. The timing was found to be machine dependent in a
subtle DOS way and has been rewritten to avoid the effect. The release
Kermit will time accurately on all machines having a DOS timeofday clock.

Ben might also want to try the long script example from the new MS Kermit
manual for transparently loading files to/from the host.  For quick
reference and relaying here is a pair to implement

        DOS-prompt> send filespec

where filespec can have wildcard characters. It differs only trivially from
the manual example.

				        Regards,
				        Joe D.

[Ed. - Thanks, Joe!  Your script example has been placed in KER:MSTIBM.SCR.
The manual Joe mentions is still in preparation, but will be released with
the real 2.30, probably in early September.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 87 11:52:52 EDT
From: BJ CAMERON (SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT) <HESSE@WATDCS>
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping CMS Kermit

There is another option not mentioned in the documentation which also permits
running user programs underneath Kermit (e.g. COPYFILE).
When LOADing the Kermit module use the RLDSAVE option.  For example:

LOAD KERMIT (RLDSAVE
GEN KERMMOD

You can then load Kermit as a nucleus extension with the following EXEC.

/*
   FUNCTION:  NUCXLOAD THE KERMIT MODULE TO FREE UP THE USER AREA
   CREATED BY:     HESSE@WATDCS   86/11/12
*/
   address command
   parse upper arg arg_string
   'NUCXLOAD KERMMOD'
   KERMMOD arg_string
   'NUCXDROP KERMMOD'

[Ed. - Thanks!  Your comments have been added to KER:CMSKERM.INS.]

------------------------------

Date: 29 JUL 87 23:05-PDT
From: Iglesias%UCIVMSA.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: Re: Kermit Buffering Problem

V6 #15:

Try setting /ALT (alternate typeahead buffer) on the line you want to use
with KERMIT.  This gives you a bigger input buffer, so you won't get (as
many) data overruns.  I believe that you can set the size of the alternate
typeahead buffer with SYSGEN if you want to make it bigger.  I have all my
outgoing lines configured that way (via SYSTARTUP.COM so it's permanent) and
it helps a lot.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 87 17:37:59 EDT
From: Paul Placeway <paul@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>
Subject: Re: Kermit & Mac II (V6 #14)

In article <12322019030.199.SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU> you write:
>Date: 15 Jul 87 01:37:24 GMT
>From: jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Joel West)
>Subject: Kermit & Mac II (V6 #14)
>MPW provides Megamax-style C string conversions if you want it, while
>LightspeedC has 16-bit ints like Megamax.  Converting either one shouldn't
>be too bad, although the Lightspeed code generation won't be
>68020-compatible until the next release (due Real Soon Now).
>
>	Joel West,  Palomar Software, Inc. (c/o UCSD)
>	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww or jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

The last sentence is interesting, but partially untrue.  While the current
release of LightSpeed C dosn't support 68020 code, the 68020 is a propper
superset of the 68000.  LightSpeed does run, and does produce good, working
(although 68000) code on a Mac II.  Not too supprising since THINK did
follow all the rules that Apple set down for Mac software (not everyone
does: MegaMax did NOT).

In short, LightSpeed C does run on a Mac II, and does produce working
code (VERY QUICKLY) on a II.

	        Paul Placeway
	ARPA:	paul@ohio-state.{arpa,csnet}
	UUCP:	...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!paul

[Ed. - All the more reason for someone to look at bringing up the new
Mac Kermit (announced above) on the Mac II, and possibly adding support
for Lightspeed or MPW C.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 87 14:25:26 edt
From: xyzzy!meissner@rti.rti.org (Michael Meissner)
Subject: Re: DG Nova (V6 #14)

In article <12318368566.191.SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU> you write:
> Date: 1-JUL-1987 10:23:05
> From: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
> Subject: Files Needed for the DG Nova Running RDOS?
>
> It's been pointed out to us that the files for Kermit in Fortran-5 for DG
> Nova machines running RDOS (prefix RDO) are incomplete. There are include
> references to SETSETUP.FR and F5ERR.FR, and these files aren't in the set,
> and what they may contain isn't obvious.
>
> Does anyone know what's in the files, or has anyone got copies?
>
>        Alan Phillips
>
> [Ed. - These are probably DG files that come with DG Fortran.  Anyway, the
> person who contributed the Fortran version of RDOS Kermit is long gone.
> The forthcoming release of C-Kermit will support DG C environments; it has
> been tested on AOS/VS, but not RDOS, however the C environment is supposed
> to be consistent across all the DG product lines.]

Ughhh, the DG C compiler only supports the 32-bit MV/eclipse systems (RDOS
runs on the 16-bit Eclipses and Novas).  The operating systems that the
DG C compiler supports are:

	AOS/VS		propritary
	AOS/RT32	propritary real-time subset of AOS/VS
	AOS/DVS		propritary distributed AOS/VS
	MV/UX		Unix System V hosted on top of AOS/VS
	DG/UX		Native System V/BSD unix

To my knowledge, the only C compiler that supports RDOS or AOS, is from
a company called IPT.  Sorry for any confusion.

Michael Meissner, Data General.		Uucp: ...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!meissner

[Ed. - Oh.  So we can wipe RDOS off the C-Kermit list...]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 87 12:57:12 PDT
From: Samuel_Lam%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-Multics.ARPA
Subject: C-Kermit on PDP-11/23 running UNIX V6

Has anyone got a working version of Kermit for a PDP 11/23 running Unix
version 6?  The C compiler on this system is very limited and does not
handle #ifdef.

Thanks in advance for any help.

[Ed. - C-Kermit is probably hopeless for V6.  Best hope would be the
old, old Unix Kermit from the 5th edition protocol manual, in KER:UX*.*,
or maybe Chris Kennington's portable C Kermit, KER:CUC*.*.  Good luck!]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------