Date: Mon, 17 Aug 87 21:45 MDT
From: <JRD@USU.BITNET> (Joe Doupnik)
Subject: New IBM PC .BOO File

I am sending another .BOO file with the usual trimmings plus better handling
of network packets for Token Passing systems and single buffered network
boards.

        Regards,
        Joe D.

[Ed. - Thanks Joe!  The new .BOO file is dated 16 Aug 87 and is in
KER:MSTIBM.BOO available through ARPAnet by FTPing to CU20B, user ANONYMOUS
(any password) and through BITNET at CUVMA using KERMSRV.  Thanks to all who
have been testing past versions of MS-DOS Kermit.  Please test this one and
send in comments, etc.]

------------------------------

Date: 29-JUN-1987 10:14:55
From: OBSchou@UK.AC.LOUGHBOROUGH.MULTICS (Bertil Schou, Loughborough U, UK)
Via: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK (Alan Phillips)
Subject: Kermit 80 Version 4.08 (pre-release)

After an incredibly long gestation peroid, here is hopefully an updated
version of Kermit-80 V4.05.  Kermit-80 V4.08 is issued for testing purposes
only.  I want any feedback about problems generated in this revision, or
others desperately want fixing.

Superficially, there is little real change in operation of Kermit-80, but
there have been some major jobs tackled like trapping BDOS calls and
multiple FCB buffering...

New bits for this version include:
       SET {SEND/RECEIVE} START-OF-PACKET character
       SET DIRECTORY-FILE-SIZE  (Shows  or hides  file  sizes  on
               DIRectory displays)
       USER to set other user spaces
       RECEIVE to collect a file from a remote SENDer
       GET to collect a file from a remote SERVER
       SEND {local filename} {remote filename}
       TAKE to take command files from disk
       automatic  TAKE  KERMIT.INI  on default  disk  on  loading
               KERMIT-80 (useful for SET BAUD etc.)
       much improved speed on DIRECTORY
       automatic  CLOSE-ing of a terminal connection if the  line
               is  DROP-ped  (currently only for certain systems).
       improved printer handling.

On  the  negative side,  only LASM can be used  to  assemble  the
source files.   I personally see no pont in being able to support
several assemblers if LASM can do the job, but then again, I have
not  used  the MAC80 cross assembler...   Comments  on  assembler
compatabilities, please!

[Ed. - Thanks!  The new files -- source only, no hex -- are in KER:CX*.*.
The old CP/M version remains in KER:CP*.*.  Please report back bugs
problems, etc, as well as positive indications of what systems this new
version works on.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 20 Aug 87 13:41:48-EDT
From: Christine M Gianone <SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: CDC Cyber Kermit Version 3 Available

A new version of Kermit is available for CDC Cybers running NOS.  It is derived
from the U of Texas Fortran 5 Kermit, with NOS/BE and UT2D support removed.  It
contains the following new features and changes (items 8 through 10 are new for
Version 3.3.)

1.  Wildcard file names on the SEND command and server GET command.  A '*'
    stands for any 0 or more characters.  A '?' stands for any one character.

    For example:
         *BUG      All files ending in BUG.
         *DOG*     All files containing DOG.
         F*        All files starting with F.
         F?X*      All files whose names start with F and contain X in the
                   the third position, followed by 0 or more characters.

2.  Local and permanent file SEND and server GET.  If no local files match the
    request, the user's permanent file catalog is searched.

    If the specified file name is preceeded by 'L:', only local files are
    sent.  If preceeded by 'P:', only permanent files are sent.

3.  A DIRECTORY command and server REMOTE DIRECTORY command.  Lists local
    (by default) or permanent file names.  Accepts wildcards and/or L: and
    P: specifications (above).

4.  Automatic recognition of DISPLAY CODE, 6/12 ASCII, and 8/12 ASCII file
    text modes on SEND.  Receives 6/12 ASCII by default.

    The SET FILE-MODE command allows BINARY and TEXT file types.

    SET TEXT-MODE allows AUTO to set automatic recognition (above), or
    DISPLAY, 6/12-ASCII, or 8/12-ASCII to force a specific character
    translation for TEXT file mode.

    BINARY file mode stores characters as 7.5 8-bit characters per 60 bit
    Cyber word.

5.  Supports repeated character compression (if the micro Kermit allows).

6.  Supports long file transfer packets up to 1000 characters (if the
    micro Kermit allows).

    Use the SET RECEIVE PACKET 1000 command within Cyber Kermit to enable
    long packet receive.  To send long packets, enter the above command in
    your micro Kermit, if it supports long packets.

7.  Cyber Kermit no longer affects the parity of your terminal connection.
    If you have trouble sending or receiving files, check your parity
    setting.  On the Cyber, the parity at login is set to NONE.  Note that
    changing your terminal class (TC parameter) via TRMDEF or %TC=?? will
    reset your parity setting.

8.  ***New for V3.3***   (May, 1987)
    Kermit will take commands from the file KERMINI at startup time.  You
    may use this to set non-standard parameters, start up an server
    automatically, etc.  Kermit will first look for a local KERMINI, then
    for a permanent file KERMINI.

9.  ***New for V3.3***
    There is now a   TAKE filename  command to direct Kermit to read its
    commands from a local or permanent file.  It searches for local and
    permanent files like the SEND command, above.

10. ***New for V3.3***
    When files are being received by the Cyber, Kermit will now attempt to
    use up to 3 characters of the micro's filename's extension as part of the
    Cyber's file name.  This allows file transfers of the form   LONGNAME.*
    to proceed with fewer file name conflict problems.

Please contact me if you have any problems with Cyber Kermit Version 3.

      Steve Roseman
      Lehigh University
      LUSGR@LEHICDC1.BITNET
      (215) 758-3987

[Ed. - Many thanks Steve!  These files have replaced the old files in
KER:CD3KER.*.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Aug 87  11:46 EDT
From: Helmut Waelder <ZRWA001@DTUZDV1>
Subject: Very Fast MSBPCT.PAS Program

Here is a completly new version of MSBPCT.PAS written in turbo pascal.
It was developed for maximum speed. On my PC it decodes the MSKERM.BOO
file in about 9 (nine) seconds.

[Ed. - Many thanks.  The source code has replaced the old one in KER:
MSBPCT.PAS.]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 4 Jul 1987 14:17:29 CDT
From: Mark S. Zinzow <Markz@Uiucvmd>
Subject: COM3 Kermit

I had not recieved the Kermit Info-Digest V6N13 when I sent my note to the
IBM PC Info-Digest regarding my hacked copy of MS-Kermit 2.29 that supported
Com3.  Even though it took over a week for the files MSR29C.UPD and MST*.BOO
(MSTIBM.BOO in particular) to show up on KERMSRV at UOFT02 after they did on
KERMSRV at CU20B, I have them now and recomend them over my version.

Joe did not wait for me to update my modifications (I don't blame him; I was
taking too long) for version 2.3 so com3 & com4 support are in MS-DOS Kermit
2.29C.  Since my version is obsolete I will not be sending it to those who
have requested it from me.  If you really need the old version of kermit
with COM3 support, send me another request and I'll send a BOO file of the
binary.  I do not plan to distribute the soure because it is both large
(about 1 MB), obsolete, and contrary to C.U.'s policy of distributing source
to minor releases.

    Electronic Mail                          U.S. Mail
ARPA: zinzow%uiucuxe@a.cs.uiuc.edu   Mark S. Zinzow, Research Programmer
BITNET: MARKZ@UIUCVMD.BITNET         Computing Services Office
To BITNET from ARPA or UUCP:         University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
MARKZ%UIUCVMD.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu 150 Digital Computer Laboratory
CSNET: zinzow%uiucuxe@uiuc.csnet   1304 West Springfield Ave., Urbana, IL 61801
USENET/UUCP: {ihnp4,convex,pur-ee,cmcl2,seismo}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!uiucuxe!zinzow
 Phone: (217) 244-1289  Office: CSOB 109  ihnp4!pyrchi/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1987  23:45 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: QK-Kermit QKKER.PAS File Bug

After getting QKKER.PAS from CU20B via FTP I attempted to edit QKKER.PAS to
split the individual files.  I noted that quite a few seemed to be missing
so I sent a note to the author.  Here is his reply:

>Date: Wednesday, 22 July 1987  13:32-MDT
>From: VIC%QUCDN.BITNET at wiscvm.wisc.edu
>To:   kpetersen at SIMTEL20.ARPA
>Re:   QK-Kermit
>
>     The file QKKERM.PAS should contain all the source files for both
>MsDos and CP/M version.  I seems as though you have a truncated
>QKKERM.PAS file.  The file should contain about 5462 lines. The last
>thing in the file is the KEYTABLE.DAT file.   It maybe that someone
>along your network path maybe truncating long files.

After receiving that I decided to get the file again and look at it with
EMACS on the mainframe.  What I found was a single control-Z at the end of
RECVFILE.PAS.

    END ; (* ------- RECVFILE procedure -------*)
^Z <-----the control-Z was here
(* ===FILE============ CONNECT.PASVT100 =========================== *)
(* ================================================================== *)
(*  Global Var and Procedures for Connect Procedure.                  *)
(* ================================================================== *)

On CP/M or MSDOS most editors see a control-Z as end-of-file.  I have
removed the control-Z and the fixed file is temporarily available via FTP in
PD:<MSDOS.TEMP>QKKER.PAS from SIMTEL20.ARPA.  No other changes were made.
Please let me know when you get it so I can delete the file.

--Keith Petersen

[Ed. - The offending Ctrl-Z has been removed from our copy.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 87 22:30:16 EDT
From: Peter DiCamillo <CMSMAINT@BROWNVM>
Subject: Re: EBCDIC Definition

There's a definition in Appendix G of IBM System/370 Principles of
Operation, GA22-7000.  The most convenient reference, which also includes
ASCII, is the "yellow book", System/370 Reference Summary, GX20-1850.

                                                       Peter

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 87 02:18:17 PDT
From: rutgers!ames!lll-tis!ptsfa!rhc@columbia.edu
Subject: CMS Kermit Initialization Files

Re: Info-Kermit Digest V6 #15:

I have a question related to CMSKERMIT.  According to the documentation, one
should be able to create initialization files which KERMIT reads and
executes upon startup.  One is described as (SYSTEM) KERMINI and the other
is described as (USERID) KERMINI.  What I am having trouble understanding is
exactly what the FILENAME FILETYPE would be in the CMS environment for
either file.  I realize the (USERID) KERMINI would be located on the user's
"A" disk, but is the filename KERMINI, and if so, what filetype?

Thanks!

(all standard disclaimers apply - your actual baud rate may vary,
depending upon atmospheric and cosmic disturbances)
Robert Cohen San Ramon, California {ihnp4,lll-crg,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!rhc

[Ed. - Answer:  SYSTEM KERMINI is the name of the system-wide init file,
and (USERID) KERMINI is on your disk, with (USERID) replaced by your own
user ID.  E.g., if your user ID is FOO, the file is FOO KERMINI.]

------------------------------

Date: 1987 Aug 10   14:29 EDT
From: (John F. Chandler)   PEPMNT@CFAAMP.BITNET
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping CMS Kermit

The RLDSAVE option does not exist under CMS release 3 or earlier.
RLDSAVE+NUCXLOAD is clearly the method of choice under release 4 and beyond
(as long as Kermit doesn't somehow get loaded into LOW nucleus free
storage).  In fact, one might choose to leave Kermit in place as a permanent
system extension, rather than issue a NUCXDROP after each invocation.

------------------------------

Date: 1987 Aug 10   13:05 EDT
From: (John F. Chandler)   PEPMNT@CFAAMP.BITNET
Subject: Re: CMS 3.2 X-Binary

>                                 I noticed that v-binary downloads F files
> just as binary does. That makes the user bound to specify not only the file
> RECFM F, but also the LRECL when he uploads F files.
> It would be easier if he had concern of neither RECFM nor LRECL.
> Do you see any any other straightforward way to transport CMS files, DISK
> DUMP excepted?

As a matter of fact, there is a way for transporting files for eventual
reconstruction on a system like the original one.  The method is called
archiving.  Kermit-CMS is halfway there -- it generates attribute info that
could be saved away by the micro Kermit and passed along with the file to
the target host.  What is missing is a well-thought-out scheme for deciding
precedence among the possible sources of attribute info.  We must remember
that "most" micro Kermits do not support file archiving, so the mainframe
must continue to assume that the usual source of attributes will be the
user, via SET commands.  I haven't thought it all out myself, but perhaps
Kermit-370 could merge any attributes received via A-packets and then
restore the defaults.

                                       John

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 87 09:57:00 ULG
From: Andre PIRARD <A-PIRARD@BLIULG12>

>As a matter of fact, there is a way for transporting files for eventual
>reconstruction on a system like the original one.  The method is called
>archiving. ...

Yes, but as you say, everyone has to deal with attributes packets, keep them
somewhere and send them back. It is a long way until they all do so.  If we
agree an archive file is of no use on the archiver other than resending as
is for reconstructing, why not think of the archivee including the
attributes in the data itself, just where the archiver would think of
putting them? As with CMS, the data format itself may have to be adapted for
reconstruction anyway (also think of the Mac forks...).  If the CMS V-BINARY
or like were to segment fixed length files, the only missing information
would be RECFM, LRECL and timestamp to do so.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Aug 87 16:03:11 PDT
From: dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa (Dave Platt)
Subject: Kermit 0.8(35)

I've tested the Megamax version briefly on my Plus, talking to a 4D(061) on
my Sun 3/52, and it seems to work fine.  I've posted a short note to
comp.sys.mac, reporting that 0.8(35) is now available and relaying your
request for people to complete the 4D(066) port and/or port the whole thing
to MPW or LightSpeed C.

[Ed. - Thanks for the feedback on MacKermit.  And thanks to all of you
who have sent in comments, complaints, etc. about the new C-Kermit in
general.  I am keeping them all together for the author to review.]

------------------------------

Date: 8-JUL-1987 10:05:25
From: V Paramananda (PS) <ananda@uk.ac.ucl.cs>
Via: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: C-Kermit Problem

We are having trouble with a version of C Kermit installed on a Sun 3/160
workstation within the Department of Photogrammetry and Surveying at UCL. It
appears impossible to get the system set up as a virtual terminal so that
that it can initiate transfers from other Kermits, in this case a VAX within
UCL. We can set up the line /dev/ttyb on thisd Sun without any apparent
problems. However, when the line is connected there is no response from
remote hosts at the other end of the line. It is unlikely that the hardware
is a fault, as the UNIX utility function 'tip' is able to establish
connections without problems.

Could you please reply to:
                           oneill@uk.ac.ucl.cs
Thankyou,
Mark O'Neill,
Dept of Photogrammetry and Surveying
UCL,
Gower Street,
Londow WC1E 6BT UK.
Tel: 01-387-7050X2743

------------------------------

Date: 12-AUG-1987 11:23:39
From: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: Missing Files in RDOS Kermit Explained

The missing files SETSETUP.FR and F5ERR.FR in RDOS Kermit (RDO) have now
been explained. SETSETUP.FR is a mistyping for STDSETUP.FR, which is
included in the conatenated sources; F5ERR.FR is a standard DG Fortran
support filem which ought to be included with the Fortran compiler.

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 12 Aug 87 12:39 EDT
From:  TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA
Subject:  Transferring Other File Types in ProDos Kermit

Kermit 3.75 (and presumably the later ones too) is only "designed" to
handle four file types:  TXT, BIN, INT, and BAS, the standard DOS 3.3
types.  As far as I can tell, the only type it does something funny with
is the TXT type -- it converts from ordinary ASCII to Apple's hi-bit
ASCII, but it may also do something special with INT and BAS.

To get it to handle something else (in my case, WordPerfect's $A0 type)
one can fool it into using any file type code you want for the binary
mode.  To do this you need to change two bytes in the program.

At location $4995 there is a string A9 06 CD
  (LDA #06
   CMP ...)

At location $4A2A there is A9 06 8D
  (LDA #06
   STA ...)

(the locations will presumably differ in other versions, but my guess is
that the same sequence will be there someplace)

The first is where it is checking that the file type of a file you are
about to transmit is what you say it should be, the second is where it
is setting the file type of a file it is about to receive.

If you want it to handle any other file type, change the 06 (the ProDos
file code for binary files) in both locations to whatever other file
type you want.  (in my case, $A0 for WordPerfect files.)  Save the
changes.  Then whenever you want to handle that file instead of TXT go
to the kermit command mode and SET FILE-TYPE BINARY.

(Of course, if you want to handle binary, or yet another type, you'll
have to change the two locations again.)

(No guarantees, comments welcome)

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA

[Ed. - Thanks for the report.  It has been added to the .BWR file.]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------