[comp.protocols.kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V6 #23

SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christine M Gianone) (10/08/87)

Info-Kermit Digest         Wed, 7 Oct 1987       Volume 6 : Number 23

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -
        New MSTIBM.BOO for IBM PC MS-Kermit 2.29C
        Maintenance Release 2.3 of Pascal TSO Kermit
        Version 3.79 of Apple II Kermit Available
        MS-DOS Kermit 2.29C for RMX

  MS-DOS KERMIT -
        Need help with iRMX Kermit
        MS-DOS Kermit 2.29C Session Logging
        Bug in MSTIBT 2.29/tek3
        Kermit with Tek4010/4014 Emulator

  UNIX KERMIT -
        C-Kermit for Tandy 6000
        Tandy Kermit Question in V6 #22
        Suspending C-Kermit
        C-Kermit and Berkeley Unix job control (crtl-Z)
        C-Kermit for Umax 4.2 on Encore
        Minor Bug in C-Kermit under Ultrix
        Modem Control without Carrier

  MISCELLANY -
        Kermit for Convergent Tech Wanted
        Data General One Help Needed
        Re: Data General One Help Needed
        DPS8 Kermit and X25
        AAFILES.DIR on CU20B Kermit Areas
        Kermit-68K Problems for OS-9

Date:     Sun, 27 Sep 87 18:41 MDT
From:     <JRD@USU.BITNET> (Joe Doupnik)
Subject:  New MSTIBM.BOO for IBM PC MS-Kermit 2.29C

Latest MSTIBM.BOO. This has the improvements to allow Control-C to kill
commands and pop the current TAKE file with them.  I added a key definition
to make Control-@ send a null character by default, as many have requested.
Otherwise, there is not much new inside.

And, at long last, the DEC Rainbow version has been updated to 2.29C,
more or less compatible with the IBM version.  The .BOO file for this is
in KER:MSTRB1.BOO.

[Ed. - Thanks Joe!  The new files ahve replaced the old ones in
KER:MSTIBM.*, available thru Arpanet by FTPing to CU20B, user ANONYMOUS (any
password) or thru BITNET using KERMSRV.  We're homing in on the real, final
release of 2.30!  The draft manual for 2.30, which also applies to 2.29C,
remains available as KER:MST29C.DOC, and will change from time to time,
until we get it right... (or until the program we're trying to describe
stops changing).]

------------------------------

Date: 01 OCT 87   15:13  GMT
From: M70B@CBEBDA3T.BITNET  (F.Buetikofer, Help desk UNI Bern)
Subject: Maintenance Release 2.3 of Pascal TSO Kermit

After a hot summer while I did not very much additional work on my
TSO-Kermit, I encountered some hidden bugs ... and fixed them.

The biggest problem was a system connected with 300 baud (!) to our
mainframe.  TSO Kermit didn't check for the right Y packet to come in, and
continued sending. This should be fixed now.  Another not official goodie is,
that my kermit should understand attribute packets (they are logged to the
KERMIT.LOG file, so I can analyse what's coming from the micro).

I'm appending the hottest version of Kermit (Pascal and documentation)
so you can put it in the distribution library.

Thanks and regards ... Fritz

[Ed. - And thanks to you!  The new files are in KER:TS2KER.PAS and
KER:TS2KER.DOC.  The other KER:TS2*.* files remain unchanged.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Sep 87 08:46:42 PDT
From: Ted Medin <MEDIN-T@SHARK.NOSC.MIL>
Subject: Version 3.79 of Apple II Kermit Available

Here are some significant changes from 3.75
1. Command additions/changes
  a. swap bs/del keys
  b. set terminal vt100/vt52/monitor
  c. catalog
  d. delete file
  e. modem - talks to hayes modem via file kermit.modem
  f. set file-type other - if you know the hex type you can set them all
2. Kermit now initializes by reading file kermit.init
3. Kermit now supports //c & //gs
4. Bug fixes by the gross
5. Finally some one wrote a driver for the cps card - thanks Alan Thomson
6. Thanks to the following for their help. Rich Fincher, Mark Johnson,
   Grant Delaney, Paul Close and a host of others who i may have forgot.
   You may have been forgotten but your name is probably in the source
   with the code you inspired.

[Ed. - Thanks, Ted!  The new files have replaced the previous ones in
KER:APP*.* on CU20B, etc etc.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1987 09:38 PDT
From: JAFW801%CALSTATE.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu  (Jack Bryans)
Subject: MS-DOS Kermit 2.29C for RMX

The latest test release (V2.29C) of MS-Kermit ported to RMX86 and RMX286
includes a completely new and expanded configuration option, the addition of
SET/SHOW KEY, and support for 10 ports.  Previous restrictions on port
redefinition have been removed.  See KER:MSTRMX.DOC for details.
KER:MSTRMX.BOO is for RMX86 and KER:MSTRX2.BOO for RMX286.  The approximate
vintage of the underlying MS-Kermit modules (MSS*) is mid-August.

[Ed. - Many thanks!]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 87 10:28:17 EDT
From: dfs@nadc.arpa (N. Topping)
Subject: Need help with iRMX Kermit

I have been experiencing problems trying to implement the IRMX version 2.41
of Kermit (Kermit version developed by Grinnell College 87/03/04).

I am trying to implement Kermit on an Intel 80286 running iRMX release 6.  I
am unable to receive files from a remote computer.  The iRMX kermit says it
is receiving but never completes or returns any error messages.  I am also
unable to send files using iRMX kermit because kermit aborts with a "FILE
NOT FOUND" error message.  (This error message is printed whether or not the
file to be sent exists.)  I have no clue to what file it is complaining
about.

If anyone has any helpful hints or information about working versions of
iRMX Kermit or how to fix these problems with iRMX Kermit 2.41 please send
mail directly to me at dfs@nadc.

Thanx in advance,
dfs@nadc

[Ed. - Try using the fancy new RMX Kermit that's based on MS-Kermit,
KER:MSTRX2.BOO, announced in the previous message.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 87 15:08:14 -0700
From: Richard Nelson <nelson@Q2.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject: MS-DOS Kermit 2.29C Session Logging

The new version is excellent - thanks.  I have an IBM/AT with EGA/ECD,
Irma, and internal Hayes 1200B.  When I dial my local Unix system and
LOG SESSION, the ATDT commands appear in the log file in readable ASCII,
but the logged-in Unix session in h19 mode is completely unintelligible.
Screen dumps come out fine.  Since LOG worked fine for me in the last
version I had (v 2.27), this probably isn't a Kermit bug, but I need
assistance/advice in how to correct the problem, since taking a screen
dump won't do for recording long sessions.

Thanks Again,
Richard Nelson
nelson@q2.ics.uci.edu

[Ed. - The next release (the current test release?) now uses 7-bit bytes
for the LOG file if you have SET DISPLAY 7 (which is the default), or if
PARITY is not NONE.  If you have SET DEBUG ON, however, the log file will
have 8-bit bytes.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Sep 87 17:37 CST
From: <LOWEY@SASK.BITNET>
Subject: Bug in MSTIBT 2.29/tek3

There appears to be a minor bug in the Tektronix terminal emulation in
MSTIBT version 2.29/TEK3.  Sometimes, when the cursor position is supposed
to move without drawing anything, it instead draws a thin black line.
Normally you hardly notice it, but if the program is drawing text, or doing
a lot of short movements and short lines to draw an object, then it can make
the letter or object unreadable.

Kevin Lowey -- University of Saskatchewan Computing Services

[Ed. - This bug report has been forwarded to the author in England, who says
that a new release based on 2.29C will be arriving shortly.]

------------------------------

Date: 2 Oct 87 18:15:50 GMT
From: jem97@leah.Albany.Edu ( Jim Mower)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Kermit with Tek4010/4014 Emulator

I'm having some problems getting the Kermit executable from CUVMA
to run on my Zenith 248.  I've downloaded mstibt.boo (ascii
translation of executable) and msbpct.bas (basic conversion program
that creates mstibt.exe from mstibt.boo), run the basic program on
mstibt.boo, got mstibt.exe, ran it and got 'program too large to
fit in memory.'  Has anyone else had this experience or a happier
one?

[Ed. - Apparently the sender of the previous message had better luck.
Maybe you were done in by an ASCII/EBCDIC gremlin somewhere along
BITNET.]

------------------------------

Date: 29 Sep 87 05:26:45 GMT
From: cbmvax!vu-vlsi!devon!paul@RUTGERS.EDU (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.)
Subject: C-Kermit for Tandy 6000

I have C-Kermit 4D(061) running (very well, thank you) on a Tandy 6000
using Tandy Xenix 3.1.2.

Xenix 3.0 is supposed to be a System III look-alike, but it has alot
of V7 stuff still.  As I recall, though, I used "make xenix" after
having made a few tweaks to the Makefile and some of the .c files.
The "special hints" are mostly directed at the older (VERY V7) version
of Xenix 2.3 (Tandy version 1.x.x).

I'll put together some diffs and pass them along for you to post, if
you want.

Paul Sutcliffe, Jr.

UUCP (smart):  paul@devon.UUCP
UUCP (dumb):   ...{rutgers,ihnp4,cbosgd}!bpa!vu-vlsi!devon!paul

[Ed. - Please do!]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Sep 87 08:43:02 EDT
From: Marshall_DeBerry@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Tandy Kermit Question in V6 #22

Regarding your question about the Tandy 6000 in Info-Kermit Digest V6 #22:

I am currently running 4D(061) kermit on such a machine with no problems.
My machine has 512K memory and a 15 Meg hard drive.  It runs at 6Mhz.  I
have not experienced any problems with "slowness", as other's have often
described.  As a matter of fact, my machine is in reality on old Model II
that was upgraded to essentially a Model 16a, which is my case is equivalent
to a Model 6000 now.  Anyway, the Xenix that Tandy current supports is Xenix
3.1.2, which is pretty much like system III.  Note that all the versions of
kermit I have compiled on my machine have been done under Xenix 3.xx.  The
earlier version of Xenix that Tandy put out for the first Model 16's was
done from a version 7 Unix base.  I have had no expericence with the older
Xenix.  However, if you are using that version, you really should pay the
$99.00 to Tandy and upgrade to version 3.xx. (At least it was $99.00 about a
year and a half ago).

Anyhow, to compile C-Kermit on a 6000 under Xenix 3.xx, you need to do
two things:

 1). Look in the source files for the use of identifier "void". If you
     find that identifier in a file, make sure you put  the include
     line "#include <sys/types.h>" at the top of that file with the
     other include statements.

 2).  Say make sys3, and wait awhile.  If your system is fully loaded,
      ie, about 90% full on the hard drive, and little memory, you may
      not be able to compile the program.  Make space on your hard drive
      (down to around 75% free), and try again.  It may take as long as
      a half hour to compile.

Note that I recently compiled the experimental C-Kermit (the "new release")
on a 6000 under Xenix 3.1.2 with no problems, save for the "void" identifier.
 Also note that I am the only user of my machine, ie, I don't have other
 users running out of tty ports.  I can't tell you what running kermit
 is like on a 6000 with 2-3 other users.

I hope this information is of help to Tandy 6000 owners trying to get Kermit
up and running.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Sep 87 02:29:56 edt
From: hagan@operations.dccs.upenn.edu (John Dotts Hagan)
Subject: Suspending C-Kermit

I have just installed version 4E(067) on Ultrix-2.0 and have discovered
a change (hopefully a bug).

I used to be able to ^Z (suspend) out of kermit's "C-Kermit>" prompt and
all was cool.  Now it exists and leaves the terminal trashed (in cbreak
mode I believe).

Is this a bug?

--Kid.

[Ed. - Sounds like one.  See next message.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1987 15:27 CDT
From: William Bruce Curtis <NU024414@NDSUVM1>
Subject: C-Kermit and Berkeley Unix job control (crtl-Z)

   Is there a reason that cntrl-Z is trapped in the new release of C-Kermit?
The user document for C-Kermit says that Kermit can be stopped using cntrl-Z
(job control under Berkeley Unix) but the following code in the conint routine
in ckutio.c traps the keyboard generated stop signal (SIGTSTP) and causes the
program to exit.

#ifdef SIGTSTP
        signal(SIGTSTP,SIG_IGN);        /* Keyboard stop */
#endif

I have commented out the code and C-Kermit seems to work fine plus it can be
stopped from the keyboard with ctrl-Z just like the earlier releases.

Thanks,
Bruce Curtis

------------------------------

Date: Saturday 26 Sep 87 3:22 PM CT
From: Jay Ford (U of Iowa) <JNFORDPB%UIAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  C-Kermit for Umax 4.2 on Encore

I acquired the XK*.* files for C-Kermit 4E(067) for use on  an  Encore
Multimax  running  Umax  4.2  (somewhere  between BSD 4.2 & 4.3).  The
"make bsd" ran flawlessly,  but  I  ran  into  trouble  with  the  tty
locking.   The  resulting "wermit" tries to use /usr/spool/uucp as the
lock directory, but we don't have the permissions set to  allow  this.
However,  there  is  a  /usr/spool/locks  directory  which  does  have
appropriate permissions, so I added a make type of "umax"  which  uses
this  path  in  ckutio.c.   Following  are this diffs for ckuker.mak &
ckutio.c.

% diff Makefile.orig Makefile
24a25
> # for Encore Multimax Umax 4.2, "make umax"
211a213,217

> #Encore Umax 4.2  (between bsd 4.2 & 4.3)
> umax:
>       make wermit "CFLAGS= -DBSD4 -DUMAX -DDEBUG -DTLOG"

% diff ckutio.orig.c ckutio.c
793a794,796
> #ifdef UMAX
>     char *lockdir = "/usr/spool/locks";
> #else
794a798

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Oct 87 23:52:57 EDT
From: moore@UTKCS2.CS.UTK.EDU
Subject: Minor Bug in C-Kermit under Ultrix

In C-Kermit 4E(067) 14 Sep 87, 4.2 BSD:
When compiling under Ultrix 2.0, using the vcc C compiler (which is slightly
better than pcc), C-Kermit doesn't compile cleanly, due the the existence
of several #ifdef vax11c lines in some of the .h files.  These have been used
to denote VAX/VMS specific code.  The vcc compiler pre-defines the symbol
vax11c on Ultrix just as it does on VMS.  C-Kermit can be made to compile
cleanly on both Ultrix and VMS if these lines are changed to #ifdef vms.

Keith Moore
UT Computer Science Dept.	Internet: moore@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu
107 Ayres Hall, UT Campus	CSnet: moore@tennessee
Knoxville Tennessee		BITNET: moore@utkcs1

[Ed. - Thanks for the useful hint!]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Sep 87 9:39:15 EDT
From: Brian Vaughan <vaughan@VAX.BBN.COM>
Subject: Modem Control without Carrier

I am trying to set up Kermit on a Masscomp running RTU 3.1a UNIX with a
Telebit Trailblazer 18000 baud modem (Hayes like). The Kermit used is
version 4.2 and came from Masscomp's user library.

My problem is in controlling the local modem when not connected to another
remote modem (no carrier). The ideal solution is a new kermit command organized
like the DIAL command to get around the unix clocal control.

Does anyone out there know of such an improvement?

Please send a copy of your reply directly to me as I'm not a regular reader
of Info-Kermit.

If a newer version of Kermit includes what I need, could you include detailed
instructions on where and how to pick up a copy? I'm still a little wobbly
in net land.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Sep 87 15:06:07 EDT
From: sanchez@gmu90x.UUCP (Jim Sanchez)
Subject: Kermit for Convergent Tech Wanted

I need a source for or pointer to a terminal emulator supporting kermit for
the Burroughs B26 series workstations.  These are basically convergent
technologies units with a slightly modified CTOS operating system.  I have a
PLM compilier for this system if only sources are available.  Please email
me if you know where I can get such an animal.  Thanks in advance.

Jim Sanchez, Sytek Inc.
301-520-5100
UUCP:..!uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!sanchez or ..!hplabs!sytek!jim
ARPA: sytek@nswc-wo.arpa

[Ed. - Presumably, the C-based Convergent CTOS version announced in
Info-Kermit V6 #21 should also work on Burroughs B20-series systems with
BTOS.  Has anyone tried this yet?]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1987 13:08 CDT
Sender: L-HCAP List <L-HCAP@NDSUVM1>
From: Bob Puyear <NU025213@NDSUVM1>
Subject: Data General One Help Needed
Written-by: Rick Alfaro  (FidoNet)

I recently aquired a DG 1 with an internal modem.  Unfortunately the only
communications program that I hvae found to work with the internal modem is a
special version of Crosstalk for the dg 1.  I am totally blind and use a
speech synthesizer and screen reading software with my system.  The screen
reading program will only voice data written to the screen via normal dos
calls.  Crosstalk takes incoming data and writes it driectly to the screen
thereby making it unavailable to the speech program.  I am trying to find a
shareware program like Procomm or Telix that will work with the DG 1 internal
modem.  Maybe there is a patch available somewhere for one of the exsisting
comm programs.  I would appreciate any info that will help me solve this
problem.  Thanks in advance.  Rick Alfaro

[Ed. - See message below.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 28 Sep 87 15:17:10-EDT
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Data General One Help Needed

work with the DG/1, doing only DOS calls to the screen, he might want to try
MS-DOS Kermit.  The latest release senses the absence of a true 8250 UART and
then does only DOS calls to the port, and if you "set terminal none", it will
also do only DOS calls to the screen.  Furthermore, if you "set display
serial", its file transfer display will make sense to a speech program (in
fact, this mode was designed specifically for that purpose).  Version 2.29C
of MS-DOS Kermit is available from Columbia University on diskette by mail
order, or over BITNET or other networks.  Feedback about its utility (not only
on the DG/1, but also the IBM PC family or any MS-DOS machine) for the blind
and/or deaf would be much appreciated.  - Frank

-----------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Oct 87 16:18:40 GMT
From: GAYE@FRSAC11.BITNET
Subject: DPS8 Kermit and X25

   I would like to use kermit on a DPS8 machine runnig GCOS 8

 1) What I understand Kermit DPS 8 is doing:

               +-+
   +------+    |D|                      +------+
   |      |    |A|  asynchronous line   |micro |
   | DPS 8|----|T|----------------------|      |
   |kermit|    |A|                      |kermit|
   +------+    |N|                      +------+
               |E|
               |T|                   virtual terminal
               +-+                   and file transfer

 2) What I would like to do:

               +-+
   +------+    |D|      |  X25  |       +-+        +------+
   |      |    |A|  X25 | public|  X25  |P|asynch. |micro |
   | DPS 8|----|T|------|       |-------|A|--------|      |
   |kermit|    |A|      |network|       |D| line   |kermit|
   +------+    |N|      |       |       +-+        +------+
               |E|
               |T|                              virtual terminal
               +-+                              and file transfer

 I don't know very much about the Datanet
 Anybody thinking that I have any chance to do that ?

What kind of thing I have to do on the Datanet or anywhere else ?  Some
people in France tell me that the data coming out of the Datanet with X25
are always encapsulated in DSA frames. Is that true ?

 I am completely lost ...

 Thank you in advance.

          Gerard H. Gaye
          Cisi-Telematique
          CEN Saclay, BP 24
          91190 Gif sur Yvette
          France

             gaye@frsac11 (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Sep 87 13:39:11 +0200
From: Hans Anton Aalien <hans@ifi.uio.no>
Subject: AAFILES.DIR on CU20B Kermit Areas

Are you aware that the automatic update of the AAFILES.DIR files has stopped?
If you were not, now you are.  I often found those files useful for more
detailed "detective" work on the distribution areas, so I would like the
service to be restarted.  If you could invent a file name to identify directory
(i.e. tape) as well, I think that would be an advantage -- e.g. AAFIL1.DIR ...
AAFIL5.DIR, AAFILB.DIR, AAFILT.DIR, etc.
			Hans

[Ed. - You're right!  The automatic daily batch job that does this has been
restarted.  Good idea about the names -- they've been changed as you
suggested.]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 19 Sep 87 12:47:34-PDT
From: Bob Larson <BLARSON@ECLA.USC.EDU>
Subject: Kermit-68K Problems for OS-9

To build k6 on my FHL QT+ (osk version 1.2, 2.1 is on the way) it needed
a couple of simple fixes:

The reference to "/d0" in the makefile needs to be changed to "/dd".  (/dd
should work on any system configured as recomended by microware.)

The "use defsfile" line in all source modules needs to be changed to "use
/dd/defs/defsfile".  (Again, /dd is the standard place to keep this.)

Connect has a MAJOR problem: it converts incoming /r to /r/l, and ignores
the following /l.  This does not work with systems that put null padding
between (tops20) or with ANY full-screen program.  (My z29 emulates a z29
just fine, thankyou.)  My attempt to fix this did not work.

Oh well, I wasn't in to desperate of need for a third kermit implementation
for my system.  I really should finish the C-Kermit port enough to make it
distributable, and update it to the latest verison of c-kermit.

Bob Larson

[Ed. - Thanks for the comments, Bob.  They've been added to KER:K6OAAA.BWR,
and forwarded to the program's author.]

------------------------------

End of Info-Kermit Digest
*************************
-------

SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christine M Gianone) (10/09/87)

Info-Kermit Digest         Wed, 7 Oct 1987       Volume 6 : Number 23

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -
        New MSTIBM.BOO for IBM PC MS-Kermit 2.29C
        Maintenance Release 2.3 of Pascal TSO Kermit
        Version 3.79 of Apple II Kermit Available
        Version 2.8 QK Kermit Available
        MS-DOS Kermit 2.29C for RMX
        Release 1.2 of Kermit for HP264x
        New Kermit Documentation in German

Date:     Sun, 27 Sep 87 18:41 MDT
From:     <JRD@USU.BITNET> (Joe Doupnik)

A new MSTIBM.BOO, dated 8 Oct 1987 is available for testing. This has the
improvements to allow Control-C to kill commands and pop the current TAKE
file with them.  I added a key definition to make Control-@ send a null
character by default, as many have requested.

This edition also has changes to ignore DEL characters when using the VT102
terminal emulator, to implement the \; char pair as a literal semicolon in
Take files and Macros (vs seeing the ; as a comment introducer), to ensure
that error packets emitted before the file capabilities sequence is
completed are sent with a block check of 1 byte, and to apply the SET
DISPLAY 8/7 bit filter to the log file (when DEBUG is active the logging is
forced to 8 bit mode).

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 87 13:41 EDT
From: VIC@QUCDN.BITNET
Subject: Version 2.8 QK Kermit Available

Version 2.8 adds graphics input (GIN) to the TEK4010 emulation and it provides
code for Hercules card and EGA card inaddition to the regular CGA card.  The
are also other minor improvements and bug fixes, many of which were provide to
me by G.W.Selke.
                              Victor Lee

[Ed. - Thanks!  The files are available in KER:QK*.* on CU20B and QK* * on
CUVMA.]

------------------------------

Date: 1987 Sep 28   22:18 EDT
From: (John F. Chandler)   PEPMNT@CFAAMP.BITNET
Subject: Release 1.2 of Kermit for HP264x

At long last, the new release of Rover-Kermit is ready.  The update
consists of new versions of HP264X.ASM, HP264X.HEX, and HP264X.MSS,
and the latter should provide a new HP264X.DOC as well.  The following
are the most important of the changes and improvements in Release 1.2:

 1. Two-byte checksums.
 2. Mnemonic commands for setting parameters.
 3. More elaborate display of current settings.
 4. ^X/^Z interruption.
 5. Retain filespec on RAM file.
 6. Display any characters received while waiting for handshake.
 7. Fixed bug in creating repeat strings from runs longer than 94.
 8. Flush data communication buffer before starting any transaction
    (except the first in a given session).
 9. The ROLL and HOME keys now work for the conversation workspace.

[Ed. - Thanks, John!  The files are in KER:HP2*.*.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 9 Oct 87 09:36:54-EDT
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: New Kermit Documentation in German

Gisbert W. Selke of the Wissenschaftliches Institut der Ortskrankenkassen
in Bonn, West Germany, has written an introduction to Kermit for German-
speaking users, with examples from MS-DOS Kermit 2.30 and Modcomp Kermit.
The files are in KER:GERMIT.*, available via anonymous FTP from CU20B,
or as GERMIT * available from KERMSRV at CUVMA on BITNET.  Thanks to
Gisbert for the contribution, as well as many useful suggestions concerning
the new MS-Kermit manual, and "national character" support in MS-Kermit.

------------------------------

Date: Saturday 26 Sep 87 3:22 PM CT
From: Jay Ford (U of Iowa) <JNFORDPB%UIAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>

I acquired the XK*.* files for C-Kermit 4E(067) for use on  an  Encore
Multimax  running  Umax  4.2  (somewhere  between BSD 4.2 & 4.3).  The
"make bsd" ran flawlessly,  but  I  ran  into  trouble  with  the  tty
locking.   The  resulting "wermit" tries to use /usr/spool/uucp as the
lock directory, but we don't have the permissions set to  allow  this.
However,  there  is  a  /usr/spool/locks  directory  which  does  have
appropriate permissions, so I added a make type of "umax"  which  uses
this  path  in  ckutio.c.   Following  are this diffs for ckuker.mak &
ckutio.c.

% diff Makefile.orig Makefile
24a25
> # for Encore Multimax Umax 4.2, "make umax"
211a213,217

> #Encore Umax 4.2  (between bsd 4.2 & 4.3)
> umax:
>       make wermit "CFLAGS= -DBSD4 -DUMAX -DDEBUG -DTLOG"

% diff ckutio.orig.c ckutio.c
793a794,796
> #ifdef UMAX
>     char *lockdir = "/usr/spool/locks";
> #else
794a798

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Oct 87 16:18:40 GMT
From: GAYE@FRSAC11.BITNET

   I would like to use kermit on a DPS8 machine runnig GCOS 8

 1) What I understand Kermit DPS 8 is doing:

               +-+
   |      |    |A|  asynchronous line   |micro |
   |kermit|    |A|                      |kermit|
               |E|
               |T|                   virtual terminal
               +-+                   and file transfer

 2) What I would like to do: