[comp.protocols.kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V7 #2

SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU.UUCP (01/23/88)

Info-Kermit Digest         Fri, 22 Jan 1988       Volume 7 : Number 2

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -

       MSTZ10.BOO (New version of Z-100 Kermit-MS)
       New Versions of MSBMKB and MSBPCT
       Request to Originators of Kermits on BITNET
       Texas University CDC Kermit No Longer Supported
       TRS-80 Model II Kermit Files?

  MS-DOS KERMIT -

        MSTIBM Tek-Mode Problem
        Re: Observations on new Kermit 2.29C with partial Tektronix emulation
        Use of IBM PC Kermit to Control a Video Disk Player
        Retaining Past Screens
        MSKERMIT ver 2.29C tektronix 4010 won't overlay ALPHA and VECTOR
        Screen Scroll in MS-Windows
        MS-KERMIT V2.29C DATED DEC 16/87 VT102 PRINTER PROBLEM
        Kermit 2.29C
        Tektronics 4010 Kermit
        MS-KERMIT 2.29c Scroll-Back Problem with New Output
        MS Kermit and C language.
        MS-Kermit 2.30 Problem
        Problems with Kermit 2.30
        Kermit 2.30 Lack of Screen Blanking Solved
        Rainbow MS-DOS Kermit 2.30
        Generic MS-DOS V2.3 Problem
        MS-KERMIT 2.30

Date: Sun, 17 Jan 88 21:34:58 EST
From: Drew Derbyshire <ahd@omnigate.clarkson.edu>
Subject:  MSTZ10.BOO (New version of Z-100 Kermit-MS)

Following this as separate mail you will find a .BOO file for a new version
of Z-100 Kermit-MS.  This version, tagged internally as 2.29d, was created
by me from the system independent 2.30 sources now online at
cu20b.Columbia.EDU and debugged MSxZ10.ASM sources that I got from Joe
Doupnik in October.

This is not my final version, but the program appears stable and I am
mailing it while I have a chance.  (Anything that works better thank Joe
for, anything that is broken blame me for.)  Changes to the program from the
2.29c version of MSTZ10 include:

     Z-200 support is deleted.  This was partially because I am
     using the standard ZDS include files for BIOS and hardware
     specific constants instead of dynamically chosen "magic"
     numbers, and partially because if problems were to arise
     with the Z-200 code I can't recreate them.  (Z-200 users
     can boot their systems in IBM PC mode and use the better
     IBM Kermit-MS.)

     A screen escape sequence output via DOS from the GETKEY
     routine is deleted.  This interfered with the output of
     various escape sequences and also slowed CONNECT mode down
     to where it fell behind at speeds as low at 1200 baud.

     An improperly installed internal queue for the AUX port is
     deleted.  This was causing monitor RAM and other storage
     overlays which in turn resulted in various display problems
     and system crashes.

     Output from within the terminal emulator is now done via
     direct calls to the Z-100 monitor ROM.  File transfer output
     is still done via DOS, so most "screen saver" programs will
     continue to work properly and not blank the screen during long
     file transfers.

     The HANGUP command is added.

     The BREAK command is fixed.   Formerly, it hung up the
     phone.

     The CONNECT mode HELP command no longer improperly enters
     server mode.

     Key values returned by the SHOW KEY command now match the
     values in the Z-100 user's manual.

This version has the following known bugs:

     The SHOW MODEM command returns incorrect information.

     All input on the keypad is taken as alternate keypad mode;
     the VT-52 escape sequence to have the keypad output normal
     numerics will be ignored.  However, the SET KEY command can
     be used to force these keys to output numerics.

     If the host sends the disable scan mode sequence (esc X ?),
     the keyboard translator will be disabled for all function and
     keyboard keys until CONNECT mode is exited and re-entered.

     The unshifted BREAK key is invisible to KERMIT.

These are for most part minor problems, and I consider the program
quite usable while I take my time correcting the bugs and exercising
the code in general.  Once these error are corrected, I will forward
the updated BOO file and sources to Info-Kermit.

Anyone desiring my interim sources may send me a note directly.

Drew Derbyshire

p.s. Don't thank me, thank Joe Doupnik for putting up with my questions
     and lack of results for four months, and thank Clarkson University's
     Educational Resources Center for providing E-mail and technical
     assistance.

Bitnet:    ahd@clgw
Internet:  <ahd@Omnigate.Clarkson.EDU>
Voice:     914-339-7425
U.S.Snail: 578 Broadway, Apt 6
           Kingston, NY 12401

[Ed. - Thanks Drew (and more thanks to Joe too).  The file has replaced the
old one in KER:MSTZ10.BOO available thru Arpanet by FTPing to CU20B, user
ANONYMOUS (any password) and thru BITNET using KERMSRV.]

------------------------------

Date: 15 January 1988, 18:15:04 SET
From: RECK@DBNUAMA1 (Gisbert W.Selke)
Subject: New Versions of MSBMKB and MSBPCT

I have just sent you MSBMKB.FOR and MSBPCT.FOR.  They are written in as plain
FORTRAN IV as possible to make them better portable; however, some things like
writing/reading binary files are system specific. I have tried to indicate
those places. Also, I have included as much as I knew about BOO format in
comments.  In addition, I am sending MSBMKB.PAS, written in Turbo Pascal
(3.02). It runs quite a bit faster than the C version due to i/o buffering. I
include a boo-ed version of the COM file.

Congratulations on *the* *final* MS-Kermit 2.30!! What I have seen from
it up to now, I'm completely happy with it. Great stuff!

\Gisbert

[Ed. - Thanks, Gisbert!  Your en/de-BOOing programs are now installed in
the Kermit distribution as MSBPCT.FOR, MSBMKB.FOR, along with MSBPCT.PAS,
a Turbo Pascal version you sent us last November.]

------------------------------

Date: 14-JAN-1988 17:06:37 GMT
From: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: Request to Originators of Kermits on BITNET

Readers of the Columbia Info-Kermit Digest might be aware that Lancaster
University in England runs a distribution service parallel to that offered
by Columbia on their CU20B system. We have a collection of Kermit files that
is as close to what's available on CU20B as possible and can be accessed on
the British universities network or over dial-up lines. We also write tapes
and discs for people who want them.

Until recently, we've been keeping our set of files up-to-date by FTP'ing
from CU20B, and we've been no more than a few days behind the US.  However,
the FTP service from Britain to Arpa closed last year, so we can't acquire
anything by that route.  We also have no capability to request files from
BITNET servers.  We get sets of tapes from Columbia a few times a year
(thanks very much to Chris and Frank for this) but inevitably we now lag 3
months or more behind.

So here's a plea to Kermit contributors who use BITNET to mail or FTP their
files to Columbia: if you would be prepared to send a parallel set of files
to us at the same time, we'd be very grateful to receive them, and we'll
look after distributing them in this country.  There's a very active Kermit
community over here which we co-ordinate with our own Info-Digest, so
there'll be more timely feedback for developers if we can get hold of
versions quickly.

We can accept files by mail over BITNET addressed to

             syskermit%uk.ac.lancs.vax1 @ ac.uk

at any time.  It should be OK to send up to 100K minimum per file; there will
be no space problems here so people can send without pre-arrangement.  If
mailing files is a problem we can accept them by FTP (we can't *pull* files
from BITNET, so we have to ask people to send): please mail to me for
details of a receiving account.

Traffic to us on Arpa has to be kept to a minimum, I'm afraid, so please
*don't* send stuff to us on this route. But if you have an Arpa-BITNET
gateway you can use.....

My thanks, and those of the British Kermit community, to anyone who can help
us out with this. We hope to hear from you.

          Alan Phillips
          UK Kermit Distribution
          Lancaster University
          United Kingdom

[Ed. - Thanks Alan for your continuing service...]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 4 Jan 88 10:43:06-EST
From: Christine M Gianone <SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Texas University CDC Kermit No Longer Supported

William P. Reeder of the Comutation Center has just informed us that the
University of Texas is no longer to support Kermit-170 for the NOS and
NOS/BE operating systems.  The Kermit sources which are prefixed KER:CDC*.*
are now unsupported.  He recommends that the KER:CD3*.* version of NOS
Kermit, by Steve Roseman at Lehigh University become the standard version
for our distribution tapes.

Thanks to Jim Knutson and the University of Texas for all the past Kermit
support.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 22 Jan 88 11:55:48-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: TRS-80 Model II Kermit Files?

It has been pointed out to us that the file TR2KER.HEX in the Kermit
distribution is not really a hex file at all, but just garbage. Is anybody
using this version of Kermit on the TRS-80 Model II with TRSDOS?  If so,
could they send in a new, real .HEX file?  Thanks!  - Frank

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Dec 87 13:35 EST
From: <ACCESS@ALCANKTN.BITNET> (Shawn Allin - Alcan KRDC Computer Services)
Subject: MSTIBM Tek-Mode Problem

I've just briefly tried the new MSTIBM with Tek emulation on a Compaq 386
with EGA. I ran a PLOT 10 program I have and the emulator went into
Tektronix mode upon receipt of a ESC FF properly.  However, when I tried the
ALT = to toggle back to VT102 mode, it cleared the screen but stayed in Tek
mode.  I had to enter command mode and type SET TERMINAL VT102 to get it
back.  Is this a bug, or am I overlooking something?

     Regards,

     Shawn Allin
     Alcan International Ltd.,
     P.O. Box 8400,
     Kingston, Ont.,
     Canada  K7L 4Z4
     (613) 541-2178

     Bitnet: ACCESS@ALCANKTN

[Ed. - Yes, it's Alt-Minus, not Alt-Equals]

------------------------------

Date: 30 Dec 87 06:48:40 GMT
From: windley@iris.ucdavis.edu (Phil Windley)
Subject: Re: Observations on new Kermit 2.29C with partial Tektronix emulation

In article <8331@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> mroz@hudson.steinmetz () writes:

>	7. Seems to pick up the type of graphics adapter
>	automatically.  I haven't tested this on a Hercules though . . .

It works with Hercules as well.

>If anyone knows of any new features or how to set keys please post or
>email me.

Here's a few lines from my mskermit.ini file that sets some keys:

set key \338 \Kkp0
set key \335 \Kkp1
set key \336 \Kkp2

I found these out mainly by a combination of experimenting and
accident.  I'm still trying to figure out how to write scripts, etc.
Is there documentation for this beast somewhere?

Phil Windley
Robotics Research Lab
University of California, Davis

[Ed. - The new SET KEY feature is thoroughly documented in the new MS-Kermit
2.30 manual, KER:MSKERM.DOC.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Jan 88 17:11:10 EST
From: akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu (Atul Kacker)
Subject: Use of IBM PC Kermit to Control a Video Disk Player

We have a user here who is currently using a DEC VT102 terminal for a
special application.  He uses the terminal to access a mainframe database,
which is a database of photographs in the George Eastman House archives.  He
also has a video disk player connected to the printer port at the back of
the VT102 terminal.  If he selects a record in the database that has a video
field, a picture of the photograph comes up on his video disk player.  The
mainframe program does this through the use of standard VT102 printer
control escape sequences.

He would now like to do this on his IBM PC using Kermit which supports the
same printer control sequences.  What I would like to know is how to set up
his system to do this.  I understand that the printer port on a VT102
terminal is a serial port.  What does Kermit use - the parallel or the
serial port when it sends the printer control sequences ?  Can he use COM2
to connect his video disk player to and use the DOS MODE command to redirect
the output of LPT1 ?  Any suggestions welcome. Thanks Atul Kacker
..!rochester!ur-tut!akk2

[Ed. - Version 2.30 of MS-DOS Kermit, just announced, supports all the
printer control sequences that the VT102 does, so it should work the same
way, on either a serial or parallel port.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Jan 88 22:05:17 -0800
From: Alastair Milne <milne@ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject: Retaining Past Screens

   I am using Kermit 2.29C on IBM's and compatibles, and among all the useful
   features (including the excellent terminal emulation), there is one that
   sometimes drives me up a wall: the saving of past screens.  Every so often
   I will aim for the RETURN key, miss it, and hit HOME instead.  Everything
   stops in its tracks while n pages of screen scroll past.  And END, of
   course, so that it will all scroll back to where it's supposed to be.

   Obviously, in certain circumstances, this could be enormously useful;
   however, in the general case, I find it simply gets in the way; and in
   fact, with a clone having a slower screen than an IBM, or disabled
   interrupts during refresh, it can become very annoying.  I see no way
   among the commands to turn it off (or perhaps reduce the number of screens
   that are saved).  Is there in fact a way; or is one available in the next
   version?

   Thanks very much,

   Alastair Milne

[Ed. - No, there's no way to turn it off.  You can reduce the number of
screens by changing a parameter somewhere and reassembling.]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Jan 88 20:59:48 PST
From: Ya'akov_Miles%UBC.MAILNET@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: MSKERMIT ver 2.29C tektronix 4010 won't overlay ALPHA and VECTOR

Possible bug with MSKERMIT version 2.29C:

(Forwarded from: Ya'akov_Miles@UBC.MAILNET, Dated: Sun, 10 Jan 88 20:56:38 PST)

I have been using MSKERMIT vers 2.29C and have encountered a bug (feature?)
in the Tektroniks 4010 emulation mode.  Specifically, alpha mode characters
will erase and NOT OVERLAY vector mode data.  This frequently causes plot
titles and labels to obliterate the graphed data.

ps:     I have an IBM-PC/xt clone with the CGA adaptor.

[Ed. - This seems to be the behavior on the CGA, but not the EGA...]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jan 88 11:12:15 est
From: snorthc@NSWC-OAS.ARPA
Subject: Screen Scroll in MS-Windows

I have had problems making Kermit scroll up/down screens under MS-Windows
when in a window*.

Version 2.29b and 2.29c (21 DEC) have been tested with version 1.01 - 1.03
and 2.03 of MS-Windows.  You are only able scroll up one line.

Both Version 2.29b and 2.29c will scroll properly in a window under
Windows/386.

* In a window refers to setting up the PIF file so that Kermit does not
write directly to screen and does not "modify" a com port.

	Stephen Northcutt (snorthc@nswc-g.arpa)

[Ed. - This is a restriction of the program, noted in the MSKERM.BWR
file.  However, you should still be able to scroll up by using the mouse on
the scroll bar.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jan 88 11:50 EST
From: <LUIS%YULIBRA.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: MS-KERMIT V2.29C DATED DEC 16/87 VT102 PRINTER PROBLEM

We have been testing the new version of MS-KERMIT (V2.29c dated Dec 16) and
found some problems with the VT102 printer function.  When we used the old
version of MS-KERMIT (v2.29b), we where able to use the TPRINT command on a
VM/CMS system to print out files directly to the local printer attached to
the PC.  In the new version the printer goes crazy and all sorts of control
characters appear to have been received by the printer.  Where there any
changes to the printer routines of the VT102 option?  Like I said, the
command on VM/CMS worked on the old version of Kermit, but not in the new.

[Ed. - The new version is supposed to act more like a real VT102 than the
previous version, and supports host-controlled transparent printing.  The
behavior and escape sequences are documented in the manual, MSKERM.DOC.]

The TEK4010 emulation of Kermit V2.29C (dated Dec 16) works great when is
used with the IBM 7171 connected to VM/CMS.  We tested it out using SAS
GRAPH to plot various graphics.  We even had SAS GRAPH send the
startup/termination escape sequence with no problems.  Our next tests will
be on the VAX/VMS systems, also running SAS.

Thanks for all the efforts that went into putting MS-KERMIT together, its a
great product.

Luis Strauch
York University
Toronto, Canada
BITNET: LUIS@YULIBRA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jan 88 12:07 EST
From: "James A. Harvey" <IJAH400@INDYVAX.BITNET>
Subject: Kermit 2.29C

Jim Griffin gave me a copy of this to test the other day.  It's fantastic!!!
I.U. recently got a site license for a bunch of the Precision Visuals
graphics products (DI-3000, DI-3000 XPM, PicSure Plus, Metafile system,
etc.) and I'm now using the 4010 emulator in Kermit with it as I install and
test stuff.  Sure is a hell of a lot easier than switching back and forth
between PC-PLOT and Kermit, which is what I was doing last month!
Thanks!!!!!

                                - Jim Harvey

PS: It runs rings around PC-PLOT (I have an EGA-compatible system which the
Kermit 4010 emulator seems to make full use of, whereas PC-PLOT didn't
appear to).  I also tried it on a Zenith 151, it worked fine on that too.
The PVI (Precision Visuals) drivers tend to make full use of all the
features of the device they are driving; so any emulator passing off as the
real thing with these drivers is probably quite a good one.

[Ed. - James Harvey is the one who originally added VT100 emulation to Kermit.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 88 10:47:03 EST
From: Jim Griffin <IJDG400%INDYCMS.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Tektronics 4010 Kermit

    I've been testing the beta version of the MSKERMIT that performs
Tektronics 4010 emulation. So far the program is working just fine but, I
would like to voice a complaint about one of the MSKermit commands that had
its definition changed. I would like the CLEAR command to clear out the
keyboard redefinitions instead of clearing the serial port buffer.  The
reason I need to clear the Keyboard definitions is that I frequently switch
back and forth between an IBM CMS machine with a 7171 protocol converter and
a VAX8800 with VMS. For CMS I can define the function keys the way the 7171
wants them but, when I go over to the VAX I need to clear out the CMS
function key definitions and have them set back to a TRUE VT100 state. The
old CLEAR command did this for me. Perhaps an EMPTY command could be
implemented to clear the serial port buffer.

[Ed. - The new syntax is "SET KEY CLEAR".  Also see KER:MSIIBM.INI for an
example of setting Kermit up to work with a protocol converter.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 88 11:56:20 PST
From: Denis_Laplante%UBC.MAILNET@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: MS-KERMIT 2.29c Scroll-Back Problem with New Output

A messed-up screen results when new output is superimposed on old after
using the PgUp key to scroll back.  It's best to always press End key before
getting new output.

[Ed. - This behavior can be controlled by SET TERMINAL ROLL.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 88 22:12 EST
From: Timothy Stark <11TSTARK%GALLUA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: MS Kermit and C language.
KeywordsL MS-DOS Kermit 2.30

   Last night, I get mskermit stuffs from kermsrv library after you posted
anncouning information about Kermit 2.30. And I downloaded stuffs into my
IBM PC/AT. It worked fine for both VT100 and Tek4010!!! It is GREAT kermit
terminal! I would like that Tek4010 Graphics Terminal Emulation!  I read a
file called MSKERM.BWR about bugs and missing features. I found that
challaging information at end of MSKERM.BWR said that system-depend machine
language will be replace C-language portable modules in the future.  Who
will rewrite MSkermit 2.30 for C-Language??

[Ed. - Keep watching Info-Kermit... there may be an announcement some day.]

   I found a bug in Kermit 2.30 that SEND command initialized back to 80
packet-lenght after I did SET SEND PACKET 94! I tried to SET SEND PACKET 94
and checked STATUS. It said Sending packet lenght that is 94. I tried to
SEND <file> and Packet-Lenght: 78~79. I rechecked STATUS command.  It said
that 80. I believed that SEND forced to set packet 80 instead 94!  Please
fix it!

-- Tim Stark

[Ed. - It's not a bug.  SET SEND PACKET-LENGTH is used to override the
negotiated packet length, but only if the negotiated one was longer.  In
this case, it's shorter, so what the other Kermit asked for is what it got.
This is described in the manual.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 88 10:48:01 EST
From: J. P. Letellier <jp@nrl-radar.ARPA>
Subject: MS-Kermit 2.30 Problem

I am presently using a Zenith AT clone (ZWX-248-62) as a remote terminal to
a VAX-750 running Berkley 4.2.  I downloaded kermit 2.30 and started trying
it out.  I have run into the following problem:

I am running my terminal with "set term color 1,10,33,41".  When I page
things through "more" or "page", at the bottom of the screen page, the VAX
sends the sequence "esc[7m" to change the background for the "more XX%"
notification, and an "esc[m" to reset the terminal to the way it was.
Except, it resets the terminal to the non-intense mode and I can no longer
read anything on my screen.  I can program an "F-key" to put out the "set
term color 1" again, which resets my screen to readable, but that makes for
a two-stroke sequencing through "more", and will be a lot of trouble in
writeups which make an extensive use of background switches (because the
screen also erases when I do the "set term color 1").  jp

------------------------------

Date: 21 Jan 88 18:01:51 GMT
From: jkg@gatech.edu (Jim Greenlee)
Subject: Problems with Kermit 2.30

Well, I've been playing around with the new version of Kermit that was
recently announced (thanks, Tom :-) for about 2 days now, and I think I have
discovered a bug (or at least an anomaly) in the VT100 emulation.

First, a little background. I had been using version 2.29 (May, 1986) of
Kermit on my AT&T PC 6300 almost since it was released. One of the fea-
tures that I use the most is the ability to set FG/BG colors on a color
monitor - I normally use "set term color 1 10 33 46", which gives me a
high-lighted yellow FG on a light blue BG. I also almost always use the
VT102 emulation mode.

This works fine with version 2.29, particularly in the case where the host
sends a US (underline start) or UE (underline end) sequence to the terminal.
On a color monitor, this causes the FG/BG colors to be reversed.

So...I ftp-ed and unBOOed version 2.30 of Kermit, carefully read the manual
and help files, changed my MSKERMIT.INI files to match the new format, and
discovered that the US/UE sequences do not produce the same results on my
color monitor. What happens is that receipt of a US causes the video image
to be reversed, and the UE sequence causes it to be restored, but for some
reason the FG high-lighting is turned off. If I drop back into command mode
and do another "set term color", then everything works fine until I get
another US/UE sequence.

This problem does not manifest itself with the Heath/Zenith mode (which is
what I'm using in the interim). I checked the beta version (2.29C) that was
posted recently, and got the exact same results - US/UE causes high-lighting
to be turned off. Is this a genuine bug or did I just get a munged copy of
the software? Is their any way I can fix it short of getting all the sources
and ferreting out the problem myself? Has anybody else noticed this problem?

Any and all { help | comments | suggestions } are welcome.

						Jim Greenlee
The Shadow...!{decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,rutgers}!gatech!jkg

------------------------------

Date: Wed 20 Jan 88 22:01:51-EST
From: Jim Celoni S.J. <su.Celoni@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Kermit 2.30 lack of screen blanking solved

Recall last month I reported that the December Kermit-MS 2.30 beta didn't
clear the screen for me on going to connect mode.  After your reply, I was
pretty sure Fansi-console was the culprit, whether in its quick scroll mode
(/q1, using extra graphics memory on cga or ega) or not (/q0).  Official
2.30 behaves the same way: cycling through emulation modes cleared things, I
think, but explicit Alt-key clearing didn't.

Imagine, then, my happiness when I discovered that everything works right
when I do a MODE CO80 just before invoking kermit.  Fansi-console is a fine
program with lots of users, and the mode tip might help in other situations
too.  Maybe a word in the .BWR file...

P.S.  I have an IBM 256K EGA and run IBM DOS 3.3 on an Antex AT clone.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Jan 88 11:47 EST
From: <TLEWIS%UTKVX3.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: RAINBOW MS-DOS KERMIT 2.30

Hopefully someone can answer my question.  I have just finished putting
together MS-DOS Kermit 2.30 for the Rainbow 100.  We use Kermit to connect
to a DEC PDP-11/70 system.  On our system, we have a program to print
certain files via the printer port.  This program simply turns the printer
port on, reads a line, writes an line, and when finished, turns the printer
port off with the proper escape sequences.  This works perfect in terminal
mode, but when using Kermit, it does not work.  The supplement for the
MS-DOS Users Guide especially for the extended DEC Rainbow version of
MS-Kermit says that complete support for all printer port functions has been
included in this version of the emulator.  Should this work?  Can I not from
BASIC on a host system turn on the printer port, print a file, and turn the
printer port back off while running Kermit?

I would appreciate any help on this subject!

Thanks,
Terry Lewis
University of Tennessee at Martin
Martin, Tennessee  38238
TLEWIS@UTKVX1  (BITNET)

[Ed. - You should be able to do this, but there's always the possibility
of a bug, either in Kermit, or in its interaction with the Rainbow's VT102
firmware.  Users are invited to peek at the source code and send in fixes
if necessary.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 88 13:32 CDT
From: Raisin in the mid-dle <FRENCH%eg.ti.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Generic MS-DOS V2.3 Problem

I downloaded the generic MS-DOS kermit V2.3 to try out on my TI-PC (IBM-
compatible-sort-of).  It runs, but whenever I do a 'SET BAUD xxx' command it
complains "Command not implemented".  What gives?  Did I have a download
problem or are others experiences this problem?

Regards,
Stewart French

[Ed. - Setting the baud rate is a system-dependent function, and therefore
is not implemented in Generic DOS Kermit.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jan 88 17:32 N
From: Eberhard Lisse, Abt Verbrennungschirurgie, RWTH Aachen <IUS@DACTH51>
Subject: MS-KERMIT 2.30

MS-Kermit has always been among my ten favourite programs and has now moved
up to number one, even beating Don Kneller's NDmake 4.31 for which I now
seriously consider paying the $ 35. :-)

I would like to move its version be renamed to 3.0 as it looks almost a
complete rewrite to me and includes lots of nice new features, not the least
being the Tektronix emulation for which lots of users have longed since some
time.

[Ed. - A sensible idea, but unfortunately, it's been publicized at version
2.30 too far, too wide, and too long.]

I would also like to thank Joe publicly, via INFO-KERMIT, for his time and
effort to produce this marvelous piece of code which I think is better than
most commercial products. And I have tried some ...

regards, el

Eberhard W. Lisse
Burn Unit and Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Technical University Aachen
West Germany

BITNET:         ius@dacth51                             preferred
ARPA:           ius%dacth51.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.EDU
UUCP:           psuvax1!dacth51.BITNET!ius              from overseas
                unido!dacth51.BITNET!ius                within Europe
                {{uunet!}unido!rmi!}lisse!el            Real Soon Now

End of Info-Kermit Digest

-------