[comp.protocols.kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V7 #6

SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christine M Gianone) (02/18/88)

Info-Kermit Digest         Wed, 17 Feb 1988       Volume 7 : Number 6

Departments:

    MS-DOS KERMIT -
        MS-Kermit for the GRiD Compass (Six Messages)
        MS-Kermit Tektronix 4010 Graphics Emulation
        Problem Setting Num Lock and Scroll Lock Keys in MS-Kermit
        Kermit 2.30 for HZ100?

    C-KERMIT -
        Bug Report for C-Kermit 4E(070) on Unix PC (3b1)
        Re: Unix Kermit Idle Line Problem
        C-Kermit 4E(070) vs System V R3 vs 3B2
        C-Kermit for Xenix 286?

    MISCELLANY -
        Using TOPS-20 Kermit with 9-Bit Files
        Need Kermit for Microbee?

Date: 28 Oct 87 20:54:41 GMT
From: owen%gt-eedsp@gt-eedsp.UUCP (Owen Adair)
Subject: MS-Kermit for the GRiD Compass

I am using kermit for the GRiD. I have difficulty using the BREAK function
while online. It seems to reset the serial port or something. Is there
anyone else out there using MSKermit with the GRiD?

Owen Adair, WD4FSU
Digital Signal Processing Lab, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
Internet:       owen%gteedsp@gatech.gatech.edu
uucp:  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,rutgers,seismo}!gatech!gt-eedsp!owen

[From jrd - Right, we need a Grid guru. Any volunteers?]

[Ed. - See messages below....]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 31 Jan 88 18:14:14 EST
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: Re Grids and Kermit

NetLandians,

I keep hearing pleas from Grid users to make Kermit work with the Grids.
I'd be more than glad to give a hack to it (got source for v2.30, much
experience with assembler, comm ports, etc.).  However .. I do NOT have any
details on the stupid serial ports, interrupts, chips, etc. for the Grid
running under MS-DOS.

I tried long ago to get such information, or little smidgens of source code
for Grid's stupid comm program, but discovered I was suspected of trying to
steal the Crown Jewels .. and left Grid to their own just deserts.  If
someone has ANY technical information on exactly what it takes to tweak a
Grid's serial port(s), and can pass that info to me (ANY language!  Just so
it isn't buried in 80Kb of some pirated comm program's binary object file.)
.. will be glad to give it a hack.  Of course I don't HAVE a Grid, so
couldn't test it .. but could send the .ASM source (fully documented) to a
willing volunteer (who had MASM) to assemble and test.

Mail directly to me .. no use inflicting Info-Kermit with this.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

[Ed. - Thanks for the offer David.  Anyone with a GRiD willing to help?
But first, see following messages.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Feb 88 13:55 EST
From: RLH <HAAR%gmr.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: MS Kermit 2.30 on GRID

In Vol. 7, No. 4, Owen Adair wrote about not being able to run MS Kermit v
2.30 on a Grid model 1101. I am not familiar with the model 1101, but do
have v 2.30 running on a Grid GRIDCASE 2 PLUS.

I used a copy of the executable that I had put together for a standard
IBM-PC and it worked without changes. I never even tried the Grid specific
code. I have not exercised all Kermit features but I have done considerable
file transfer between the Grid and VAX/VMS as well as with true IBM-PC's -
no problems. Also, the VT102 terminal emulation works great with DEC
software such as TPU, EDT, and LSE.

Version 2.30 is a great package. Thanks to everyone who helped put it
together.

                Bob Haar        ( HAAR@GMR.COM )
                G.M. Research Labs

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Feb 88 10:48:54 EST
From: sundc!hadron!klr@Sun.COM (Kurt L. Reisler)
Subject: Re: MS-KERMIT 2.30 for the GRiD

> Does this mean that you have tested the GRiD version and found it to work?
> I've had reports from other people that it didn't work.  If it does, could
> you send a brief synopsis of your exact system model, OS version number,
> configuration, etc, so that we can pin down what the problem might be, if
> any?  Thanks!  - Frank
> -------

Well, I have not tested it extensively, but I have tried it on a 1129, and a
friend has tried it on an 1101.  You need to set port 2 to access the
internal modem.  Then, in uppercase (shift escape to lock) you need to do a
ATZE1 to see your commmands echod.  Problems include the fact that it
appears to run only at 300 baud, and there is an EXTREME amount of internal
buffering going on, until you escape back to the kermit command level.  Then
the buffering seems to go away (?).  I have successfully transfered a file
(at 300 baud GAK!).  I hope to have more time this weekend to play with it
further.  Let me see what version of MSDOS it is running. MSDOS 2-11 Bios
version C

Help that this helps. and I will keep you posted.

(later...)

What a wonderous thing documentation is.  It causes the gloom to lift
like the rising of the sun :-)

Adding the following to the autoexec.bat file on the MSDOS side of the
GRiD will cause the modem port (comm2) to default to 1200 baud:

echo baud=1200 > com2stat

Once in KERMIT, use the SET PORT 2 command to access the modem, and it
will only take upper case commands.  Will be testing it more extensively
over the weekend.

 Kurt Reisler (703) 359-6100

 UNISIG Chairman, DECUS US Chapter                       | Hadron, Inc.
 ..{uunet|sundc|rlgvax|netxcom|decuac}!hadron!klr        | 9990 Lee Highway
 Sysop, Fido 109/74  The Bear's Den   (703) 671-0598     | Suite 481
 Sysop, Fido 109/483 The Pot of Gold  (703) 359-6549     | Fairfax, VA 22030

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Feb 88 23:47:35 EST
From: sundc!hadron!klr@Sun.COM (Kurt L. Reisler)

As promised, more information, and ALL of it is posative.  I have a working
copy of "GRiD Compass II Version A MS Kermit V2.30" dated 8 January 1988.  I
got it off of Columbia via anonymous ftp, in the normal boo format.  Used
the utilited from Columbia to convert the boo file to a .EXE file on my 4.2
BSD system, transferred it to my Fido BBS (on a DEC Rainbow) then using
MediaMaster, to a SSSD IBM diskette, to the GRiD.

I have used it sussessfully (am using it at the moment) on a GRiD 1101 and
GRiD 1129.  In both cases, the systems are configured with a GRiD 2101 Hard
disk subsystem.  The GRiDS are setup for GRiDOS, with the MSDOS (2.11-C)
running on a partition of the hard disk.  I also figured out how to get it
to run at 1200 baud (RTFD :-).

Anyway, in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file on the MSDOS partition, I have the
following:

        ECHO BAUD=1200 > COM2STAT
        ECHO V=250 > COM2STAT

To set the baud rate and volume on the modem.  In the MSKERMIT.INI file,
I have the following:

        SET PORT 2
        SET BAUD 1200
        STAT

Once I Connect to the modem, I issue the following command to the modem:

        ATE1Q0V1

So that I can see what I am doing with the standard Hayes modem
commands.

So far, it seems to work fine.  Have been able to upload and download
files between the GRiD and my FIDO systems without problems.

Anyway, hope this has been helpful.  If you think it would be useful, I
can uuencode the copy I have and post it to the net.  In addition, it is
available for download from either of my fido nodes, listed in the
.signature below.

Date: 10 Feb 88 14:07 PST
From: Ghenis.pasa@Xerox.COM
Subject: Re: Kermit 2.30 for GRiD

;;;     I downloaded 2.30 Kermit for the GRiD (.BOO format) and it
;;;     tries to run, but all I get is garbage then it crashes. Has anyone
;;;     else tested the beast on a GRiD model 1101? I currently use 2.29
;;;     and it works although not all the features function.

Last night I brought MSTGRI 2.30 up on my Grid and it worked well, except
for baud rate change (I couldn't get 300 baud to work). I called a couple of
systems and performed successful uploads and downloads of ASCII files (I
haven't tried binaries yet).

My system is a Grid Compass-II 1121, which is like the 1101 except that it has
ROM sockets. I was using ROM-based MS-DOS 2.11. I did have to explicitly SET
PORT 2 from inside Kermit. My modem driver is Grid's MODEM.SYS. I dialed out by
typing C, then ATTD 123-4567.

[Ed. - So it seems that the GRiD version of 2.30 sort of works on the GRiD
Compass, which is not IBM Compatible, and that the IBM PC version works on
the GRIDCASE 2 PLUS, which is IBM compatible.  So we have a semisolid base to
work from, in case anyone who is a GRiD expert wants to make improvements.
Volunteers should contact Info-Kermit@CU20B.  Meanwhile, these messages have
been added to the "beware file" for the GRiD, MSVGRI.BWR.]

------------------------------

Date: 12 Feb 88 13:55:26 GMT
From: ecsvax.uucp!herbst@mcnc.org (Robert T. Herbst)
Subject: MS-Kermit Tektronix 4010 Graphics Emulation

I have recently installed kerm230 on a pc6300 and a pc6300plus.  Not only is
kerm230 excellent for communications, it also has super terminal emulators.
The vt102 permits keypad editing on VAX/VMS. Better yet the TEK 4010
emulator allows interaction with gnuplot. Now we have the best of several
worlds.

                        R. T. Herbst
                        herbst@ecsvax

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 88 10:51:09 PST
From: "Eric Yen  714-856-5244" <ERIC%UCIPPRO.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Problem Setting Num Lock and Scroll Lock Keys in MS-Kermit

Is it possible to use the MSKERMIT "Set Key" command to have the IBM PC
NumLock and ScrollLock keys generate escape sequences?  My attempt to do
so failed.

Eric Yen
Systems Programmer

[Ed. - Unfortunately, it is not possible because the IBM Bios does not return
scan codes when these keys are pressed.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 12 Feb 88 15:00:17-PST
From: Mike Dante <DANTE@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA>
Subject: Kermit 2.30 for HZ100?

I note in your Version hlp file that there exists a Kermit Version 2.3 for
the Zenith HZ100. (Or am I not understanding the file?)  But I could not find
a new version under KER:MSVZ10.*.  I tried the generic MS_DOS version on my
Z100 but I could not set the baud rate.  I kept getting the message "Command
not implemented."  Am I having a problem decrypting the .BOO file?  Is there
a KERMIT V2.30 available for the HZ100?

Thanks,

Mike

[Ed. - Generic MS-Kermit doesn't know how to set the baud rate, because it
knows nothing about the PC's specific hardware.  You should be able to set
the baud rate outside of Kermit using some kind of system utility (like MODE
on the IBM PC), and then Kermit should use the port as you've set it up.  The
latest test version of Kermit for the Heath/Zenith 100 is in KER:MSTZ10.BOO
on CU20B, dated January 19, 1988.  H/Z-100 users are encouraged to test it
and report the results, and if there are problems, to apply or suggest
fixes.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 88 12:34:08 EST
From: David Herron E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>
Subject: Bug Report for C-Kermit 4E(070) on Unix PC (3b1)

I've gotten a copy of C-Kermit and am trying it out on various machines.
Mainly my Unix-PC since it's advertised to support the UnixPC.

First off, it wouldn't even compile right.  In ckudai.c there is a "static
MDMINF ATT7300" which simply CANNOT be right.  The problem is that you're also
using "ATT7300" as the pre-processor symbol to select UnixPC features, and it
has a null value, and the statement ends up looking like:
"struct mdminf = { ... };" which is a syntax error.

My workaround for the moment is to make all references to that symbol to be
"att7300" and make sure it's "static".  The preprocessor on UnixPC's is of the
style that doesn't allow:

        #define ATT7300 ATT7300

because it complains about macro recursion.  (Oh, BTW, I'm running SYSV r3.51,
the latest version for Unix PC's).

Next, the makefile stuff for supporting the shared libraries is wrong.  When
doing an ld to use the shared libraries, at least on Unix PC's, you pretty
much have to use ld directly like:

        ld {some options} /lib/shlib.ifile {object files}
                {more options} /lib/shlib

I may be off in a detail or two, but the point is that the way it was written
in the makefile was very wrong, as evidenced by all the multiply defined
symbols.  Further, if I undo the stuff for the shared libraries I get
"tgetent" and a couple of other termcap functions as being undefined.  And I
can't find those functions in any of the libraries on the system.  What I
ended up doing was using a "cc" front end which handles loading the shared
libraries properly and has support for programs which use curses.  It was
posted recently in unix-pc.sources and I could forward it to y'all if you
want.  (It's the one named "ccc", there's at least one other of these
scripts).

Using "ccc" I got it pretty close, but there's a routine in /lib/shlib named
"openi" and there was a conflict between it and the one y'all had in ckcfns.c
-- the workaround here is to declare YOUR openi() to be static (which works
because it's not used in any other of your files), and don't forget to put a
"static openi();" at the beginning of the file as well.  There's even a
section reserved up there for local variables.

Now I've got a program that compiles and loads without errors.  In testing
some functionality:

I started with the remote kermit in server mode and transferred /bin/cat to
the remote (a 4.3bsd vax running kermit 4C(057)) and then got it back ("get
cat").  The result is a cat that is one byte shorter, but is otherwise exactly
the same.  Now, this is a real neat trick too, 'cause it starts and ends with
the EXACT same bytes (I looked using od)!  This shouldn't work out like this.
The new copy should be missing a byte at the end, but we've got the same byte
at the end.  There isn't a byte missing in the middle 'cause "cmp" doesn't
find it, and if I "diff" the "od -c" output from each file, the ONLY
difference is the byte count at the very end.

I'm more than a little confused about that one ...

While the remote is in server, the local kermit acts rather strangely.
Possibly when doing ANY command, but definitely when doing send, get, and "!"
commands, to get back to command level from the command I have to type ^R ...
the only other character I've tried is <CR> which didn't get me back to
command level.  Further, I once hit an empty line then started to do a shell
escape and it dumped me OUT of kermit and said something about an invalid
shell command.  (an asice: There's times when I hate command processors which
read what I'm typing and complain before I get a chance to fix typing errors
...)

FINALLY:

In order to successfully connect to the modem and make a phone call I have to
enter this non-intuitive sequence of commands:

        ! rm /usr/spool/uucp/LCK..ph0
        set line /dev/ph0
        set modem att7300
        set speed 1200
        dial <phone number>
        ! phtoggle
        dial <phone number>

If I don't remove the lock file first, the set line command of course will
complain about the lock file being there.  But if I go ahead and phtoggle then
set line, the open in set line never returns and I hang.  Then, there's some
other state where if I phtoggle the getty process that get started starts
looping -- that is, getty exits immediately causing init to start a new one
which exits immediately, and so on.  Anyway -- I haven't tried it without a
dial command before the phtoggle yet.

I've got a kermit around here which'll let you do:

        ! phtoggle
        set line /dev/ph0
        set modem att7300
        set speed 1200
        dial <phone number>

just like you'd expect ... but it's an old copy that someone here made work
and then never told you guys about the changes.  (ARGH!)  Anyway, between the
two versions I should be able to get something working.

Oh, another problem when I exitted kermit ...  I said "quit" and it waited a
little while and said "Problem with hanging up modem".

[Ed. - Unfortunately, we don't have any Unix PCs, or for that matter any
System III or V systems to test C-Kermit on, so we rely on people like
you to tell us what to do, or what we should have done.  You're apparently
the first person who tried the new ATT7300 stuff, so thanks for the feedback
on that.  But I haven't heard complaints from others about multiply defined
symbols, shared libraries, etc, and a lot of people are running this version
on System V, so I can only assume the problem there must be UnixPC-specific.

If you can send me a makefile entry that you have actually used with the
UnixPC, I'll be glad to replace the current one with yours, and add a hint
that if people have trouble w/other ATT Sys III/V based systems, they might
look at the ATT7300 entry for a model.  If this is new stuff, then we have
a slight problem, because up till now (or at least up to Sys V R3), all
Sys III and Sys V C-Kermits could be compiled the same way.

Termcap???  There's nothing in Kermit that uses termcap or curses...
The other stuff will have to be looked in to.  Thanks for the report.  For
now, it's been added to the "beware file", CKUKER.BWR.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 88 22:29:13 EST
From: rochester!ames!ucbcad!ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU!-
  ucbcad!ames.uux!pur-ee!iuvax!bsu-cs!dhesi@columbia.edu (Rahul Dhesi)
Subject: Re: Unix Kermit Idle Line Problem

Re: Info-Kermit Digest V7 #3

This is an answer to a query from nerd@percival.UUCP (Michael Galassi)
dated 28 Dec 87 00:42:59 GMT, in which he said that users using
"C-Kermit, 4C(057) 31 Jul 85, 4.2 BSD" are timed out for being idle
even though they are doing Kermit file transfers.  Here is my
work-around as it was posted in a local newsgroup.

"By popular demand, here again is the technique for avoiding inactivity
timeouts when doing a long file transfer via Kermit.

Step 1.   At the system prompt, give the command "tty".  This command
will print your terminal name.  It will be of the form /dev/tty15
where instead of 15 you will see the number of your terminal.
Remember it.

Step 2.  Invoke Kermit interactively with the command "kermit" given
without parameters.  (Actually you can give parameters too, so long
as they don't cause Kermit to begin data transfer immediately.)
When Kermit starts up and prints the prompt "C-Kermit", you go to:

Step 3.   To Kermit, give the command "set line /dev/tty15".  In place
of the 15, use whatever terminal number you obtained in Step 1.

Step 4.  Now give Kermit the commands necessary to begin your file
transfer.   You will not get an inactivity timeout.

Users who want to win fame on this system and the gratitude of others
can change Kermit so that the above sequence will not be necessary.
Currently Kermit uses the standard device /dev/tty which is synonymous
with your actual terminal.  However, the operating system treats it
like a distinct device from your actual terminal.  So, even though a
file transfer is going on using /dev/tty, the actual terminal, say
/dev/tty15, seems to be idle to the system, so you can get logged out.
This can be fixed by (a) finding the place where Kermit opens /dev/tty
and (b) replacing that with an open of the actual terminal name, which
can be obtained from the system call ttyname()."

Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

[Ed. - We'll consider this for the next release.  Meanwhile, this message
has been added to the C-Kermit "beware file", CKUKER.BWR.]

------------------------------

Date: 10 Feb 88 23:09:57 EST (Wed)
From: ames!netsys!len@ll-xn.ARPA (Len Rose)
Subject: C-Kermit 4E(070) vs System V R3 vs 3B2

One little note to people setting up this on an ATT 3B2 running under
SYSVR3...  They have two options in the makefile that sort of clash when you
are bringing up this software.. You either have to choose:

make att3bx or make sys5r3

If you don't choose att3bx,the code does not look for the LCK..ttyxx in
/usr/spool/locks ... However if you choose att3bx,it does not handle signals
correctly...  All I did to defeat this was just put a #define in ckutio.c for
att3bx...

Just thought I'd pass this on, no big deal with it...

Len

[Ed. - Sigh, lock files again.  There must be some better approach.  Are
there any Unix experts out there who can suggest a better way to deal with
this problem, than requiring Kermit itself know the directory name, the
filename, the permissions, and the contents of the lock file on every version
of every Unix variant?  Perhaps a separate program that runs Kermit in a
lower fork, or a program that Kermit runs in a lower fork.  Of course,
separate programs have a way of getting lost...]

------------------------------

Date: 12 Feb 88 00:38:41 GMT
From: hplabs!sun!texsun!liberty!swatsun!hirai@rutgers.edu (Eiji "A.G." Hirai)
Subject: C-Kermit for Xenix 286?

This is a request for help in getting kermit working BUT wait ! - don't
ignore us, please!  Where would this network be if nobody helped each other
with other's problems some of the time?  I usually give help when I can with
a question on the net...  Anyway, here's our problem:

If anyone has had experience with getting C-Kermit 4C to work on Xenix 286
systems, could you divulge to us what you did to get it to work?  We can
compile but cannot work C-Kermit to work on our Sperry's and Intel 286/310.
We would bery bery much like to talk to you!

        Thanks everyone.

                                                -a.g. hirai
                                                a sysadmin for swatsun.uucp

Eiji "A.G." Hirai @ Swarthmore College, Swarthmore PA 19081 | Tel. 215-543-9855
UUCP:   {rutgers, ihnp4, cbosgd}!bpa!swatsun!hirai |  "All Cretans are liars."
Bitnet:       vu-vlsi!swatsun!hirai@psuvax1.bitnet |         -Epimenides
Internet:            bpa!swatsun!hirai@rutgers.edu |         of Cnossus, Crete

[Ed. - The current version, 4E(070), allegedly works OK on Xenix 286, and
there's even a special makefile option for it, "make xenix" (for Microsoft)
or "make sco286" (for SCO Xenix 286).  But that doesn't mean there will be
no problems.  There is tremendous variation among the C compilers, runtime
libraries, etc, among the endless number of products (and versions thereof)
that call themselves Xenix.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 3 Feb 88 18:35:32-PST
From: Bruce Tanner <CERRITOS@ECLA.USC.EDU>
Subject: Using TOPS-20 Kermit with 9-Bit Files

I've gotten the MS-DOS 2.30 .BOO files and decided to use the MSBPCT.C
program using the Stanford KCC compiler.  The program ran fine unchanged.
However, opening a file "wb" generates a 9-bit file (four nine-bit bytes per
word).  OK, just use the "SET FILE SIZE AUTO" and let Kermit figure it out,
right?  Wrong.  I had to teach it about 9 bit files also.  So, here are the
REDIT changes I've made to edit 262 (decimal 178):

1. Recognize 9 bit files
2. Clean up the Moon: code (it kept giving me phase errors)
3. Make edit decimal (just remove the vi%dec at Version: if you don't like it)

[Ed. - Thanks!  Code omitted, copied to KER:K20MIT.BWR for now.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 15 Feb 1988 19:06:16 CST
From: Mark S. Zinzow <Markz%UIUCVMD.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Need Kermit for Microbee?

I have a request from a user on our campus for a copy of kermit for the
following system purchased in Sweden and made in Australia.  Is a native
media version available, or does anyone know if this machine can be coerced
to read any PC formatted disk?  I just thought I'd check before trying to
bootstrap the generic CPM version.

Hardware:
Micro Bee Model II C. 1982
128 k
Expansion unit SBCO1

Software:
Telcom 2.0
CMP 80 C. 1984 copy may 3, 1985

[Ed. - We don't have any record of a Micro Bee in our list of existing
Kermits, or list of Kermits in progress.  Like most CP/M systems, it can
probably use one of the existing CP/M Kermits with a few minor adjustments
to port addresses, etc.  Has anyone had any experience with a Micro Bee
computer?]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------