Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 14:09:53 PST
From: Ted Medin <MEDIN-T@SHARK.NOSC.MIL>
Subject: Announcing Kermit-65 3.81 for Apple II DOS and ProDOS.

Ok, here is version 3.81 for the Apple II, DOS and ProDOS.
The significant changes between 3.79 & 3.81 are as follows:

1. gs keypad support for vt100 mode
2. print screen function for //e or better
3. cursor keys can become vt100 cursor keys
4. improved initial prefix get - thanks to Sean Noland
5. file transfer now supports wildcard sends - thanks to Dick Atlee
6. server mode improved
8. new manual, APPLE.DOC (from APPLE.MSS).

[Ed. - Thanks, Ted.  The new release is in the Kermit Distribution as
KER:APP*.* on CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU, available via anonymous FTP, and on
KERMSRV at CUVMA as APP* *, for BITNET/EARN access.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 22 Feb 88 00:28:49-PST
From: Bob Larson <BLARSON@ECLA.USC.EDU>
Subject: Announcing Os9/68k C-Kermit 4E

Os9/68k ckermit is functionaly identical to UNIX C-Kermit, with a few minor
problems noted in ck9ker.bwr.  Support for Microcom modems has been added to
ckudia.c.  Thanks to Peter Scholz of the Ruhr Universitaet Bochum for his
incomplete port of an earlier version of C-Kermit, some of which survives in
ck9tio.c and ck9fio.c.

This is the most complete of the three families of Kermit for Os9/68k.  The
original (based on old unix kermit) is still needed for Os9/6809.  (A new
version has been mentioned on Compuserve.)   There's also the assembler
version from Italy, but it's primarily intended as a portable 68000 Kermit,
with Os9 support included as an example of how to implement it for a
particular system.

[Ed. - Thanks, Bob!  Your files are in KER:CK9*.* on CU20B, and CK9* * on
CUVMA.  The diff files have been combined together into a single file,
CK9KER.DIF.  The indicated changes were not applied to mainline C-Kermit, but
will probably be included in the next release of C-Kermit.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 88 10:45:20 est
From: Robert F. Goeke <goeke@space.mit.edu>
Site: MIT Center for Space Research, Cambridge Mass.
Subject: Announcing MS Kermit v2.30 for the NEC APCIII

        I was a little surprised to find out a week ago that v2.30 of MS
Kermit had gotten released in January -- not having heard from anyone since
last summer.  Nevertheless a bit of fast keyboarding brought the NEC community
back up to date.  The current version for the APCIII does everything the IBM
one does -- including the Tektronix emulation -- with the following
elaborations:

        a)  The graphics are 640 x 400 in your choice of green, no
        matter what the text screen color is.

        b)  The graphics are not saved during mode switch.

        c)  The function performed by Shift-Arrow during cursor control
        is done by Control-Arrow on the NEC (shift arrow doesn't emit
        a unique key code here).  I'm not sure this is even mentioned in
        the manual, but the msg code made it clear.  Furthermore, the APCIII
        use the "real" arrow keys for this function, not the 2-4-6-8 set.

The remaining comments in the manual concerning the NEC APCIII implementation
are still all correct.

The files for the APCIII implementation are: available via anonymous

        msgap3, msuap3, msxap3, msyap3, and mszap3 (all .asm)  for source
and
        msvap3.boo                                             for executable

                                        Bob Goeke
                                           [goeke@space.mit.edu]  or
                                           [...!seismo!space.mit.edu!goeke]
                                        MIT Center for Space Research
                                        Cambridge, Massachusetts  02139
                                        617-253-1910

[Ed. - Thanks, Bob, and sorry for the crossed signals.  The files listed
above are now in the Kermit distribution.]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Feb 88 02:47:21 EST
From: hedrick@aramis.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick)
Subject: Results of Porting C-Kermit 4E and Fixes

I just finished porting Kermit 4E to my Microport System V/AT.  As usual,
simply typing "make sys3nid" (which is the setting for vanilla System V,
oddly enough) works correctly.  It works correctly in the sense of building
a kermit that works the same as it works on other systems.  Unfortunately,
the major new feature in 4E turns out not to work on any of the systems I
have access to.  This is the long packet size feature.  The two kermits
exchange information about what options they support.  Unfortunately, the
code used for generating the byte that contains the capabilities appears to
be wrong.  It results in having the systems say that they don't support long
packets.  The expression is a long one involving several ? : constructs.  My
C documentation does not make clear what the relative precedence of ?  and |
should be.  However both the Sun 3 and System V 286 compilers take the
opposite view from the authors of C Kermit.  By adding a few ()'s, we avoid
the ambiguity.  There was also a problem that the packet size sent for the
benefit of old systems that don't support long packets was miscalculated.
THey simply took the low-order byte of the full packet size.  What they
wanted was MIN (packetsize, 94), 94 being the maximum size allowed by old
implementations.

The fixes are shown below.

This message is being sent to be info-kermit and the Microport newsgroup.
For the benefit of Microport users, let me note that Microport supplies a
fairly recent version of kermit with the system, version 4D.  The version
being discussed here adds only the long packet support.  (You might still
find it useful to get the files, since Microport doesn't seem to supply
documentation.)  Kermit is available via anonymous FTP from
CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU.  The files you need are roughly ker:ckc*.*, ker:cku*,
and ker:ckw*, but ker:ckaaaa.hlp will give me information.  Kermit is also
available at Simtel20.  The index I have claims it is pd2:<unix.kermit>,
although today I was unable to get to those files to check them.

[Ed. - Thanks, Chuck!  Always wondered how long it would take to drag you
into Kermit maintenance...  Your changes have been added to the "beware
file" for now, and will appear in the next release.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2-Feb-88 19:41:52 WET
From: ronald@cc.ic.ac.uk (Ronald Soo Han Khoo)
Subject: MS-Kermit 2.30: Question & Bug?

In comp.binaries.ibm.pc recently:

>From: fulton@navion.dec.com (27-Jan-1988 1454)
posted a distribution version 2.30 of kermit.

1) QUESTION:

    Does anyone know if its possible to defeat the auto-detect of graphics
adapter type? (we run a service here with lots of m/cs with ega-type cards
emulating hercules, so its kinda inconvenient for the inexperienced users to
keep switching the emulation software around)

2) BUG ???

The documentation posted with it mentions that ctrl-]<space> returns the
terminal emulator to text mode from tektronix emulation mode.  This doesn't
seem to work in the version posted, but oddly, DOES on an older development
version (2.29C@cambridge).  Does anyone know anything about this ?

Duncan White,        |
Dept. Of Computing,  |    Flying is the art of aiming oneself
Imperial College,    |    at the ground and missing.
London, SW7.         |        -- Douglas Adams, So Long and Thanks
England.             |           for all the fish.

[From jrd - Hercules mode on EGAs: see comments below. Escaping from Tek mode
is well documented in the MS Kermit 2.30 manual; the quick way is to toggle
the terminal type via ALT minus (verb \Ktermtype).]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 18 Feb 88 14:29:26-CST
From: Clifford A. Wilkes <cc.Wilkes@A20.CC.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: MS-Kermit 2.30 vs Internal Qubie Modem

I have a Sperry (IBM clone) with an internal Qubie 300/1200 baud modem.
I have been using KERMIT 2.26 which allows me to dial out via:

MS-KERMIT>connect
at
OK  (KERMIT response)
atdt9999999  (simulated number)

With version 2.30 only after booting (warm or cold) the first time entering
AT (capitals only) gets the OK response.  Subsequent attempts receive no
response from Kermit.  And no matter what I do (ATDT in caps for example)
the modem will not 'dial'.  With all of the new features I was wondering if
there aren't some switches that I should set specially.  The modem is Hayes
compatible.  I'm using port 1 and 1200 baud.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

[From jrd - What does SHOW MODEM indicate? Could you have a conflict with
another board using the same address or IRQ (4)? Any messages from Kermit,
such as using the Bios? And, are there any other "Helpful Utilities"
running?  Pretty standard questions, naturally, but version 2.30 does work
with internal modems.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 16 Feb 88 19:29:38-EST
From: Charles Lasner <OC.LASNER@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: MS-Kermit Block Check Bug?

Found a bug in MS-KERMIT (any version):

Set MS-KERMIT to Server Mode (might not be necessary but I found it this way)
using K12MIT which has no options as the local KERMIT I use GET FILESPEC
the MS-KERMIT end had SET BLOCK 3

THE K12MIT end only supports type 1

All transmissions fail with many retries in both directions. It appears the
MS-KERMIT end fails to negotiate down the BLOCK-CHECK TYPE back to 1. If the
BLOCK CHECK is set to one at the MS-KERMIT end, then all works fine. This is
a oneway bug.

The user settings of BLOCK CHECK are not to be the final used value, just the
starting point. When MS-KERMIT presents a 3 and K12MIT presents a 1, the 1
should win!

[From jrd - Tested MS Kermit against C Kermit and VMS/BLISS Kermit with MS
Kermit using Block Check 3 in server mode and the other two as requestors
with Block Check of 1. Files transferred just fine and the logs show type 1
Block Checks, as it should be.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 88 13:13:53 PST
From: RCKG01M%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU  (Stephen Walton)
Subject: MS Kermit V2.30 Problem on PS/2 Model 60

I haven't seen this reported before, so here goes: I recently used MS-Kermit
V2.30 on a friend's brand new IBM PS/2 Model 60.  For the record, it has all
IBM equipment: 44 MB hard disk, 1 MB RAM, and VGA.  My own floppy was the
only disk I wrote to.  Everything seemed to go fine with the file transfers,
and I shut off the machine when I was done.  The next morning, to our
horror, the PS/2 wouldn't boot!  A reboot with the IBM-supplied setup
diskette revealed that the system configuration was bad; specifically, the
system time had been corrupted.  A strange problem.  Any ideas?

  Steve Walton, formerly of Ametek, now at Cal State Northridge

[From jrd - Kermit does not mess with (read or write or even know about) the
CMOS setup and clock nor does it even dream of setting a system clock. So,
it is another system effect unrelated to MS Kermit.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 88 11:13:42 EST
From: rwn@msr.EPM.ORNL.GOV (Bob Napier)
Subject: MS-Kermit 2.30 Use over Ethernet LAN
Keywords; MS-DOS Kermit 2.30

I'm configuring a network of IBM PS/2's and a Microvax 3500.  I need to run
an application on the MicroVAX from the pc's over Ethernet with Tektronix
40xx emulation.

The network board I'm considering for the pcs is 3com Etherlink/MC and
Novell Netware software. The MicroVAX will have an Ethernet interface
adapter and the networking software is still up in the air.

Question: Will Kermit 2.3 support MicroVAXen over Ethernet??  That is, is
there a corresponding version of Kermit for the VAX to act as a server to the
PS/2s??

Thanks,

Bob Napier (rwn@msr.epm.ornl.gov)
615-576-4547

[From jrd -- Bob, joining the MicroVax to PS/2's on a Novell NetWare LAN is
a little more complicated than plugging things together. The main concern is
getting the MicroVax to speak NetWare (IPX packets to be precise) so I
presume you are using a bridge or TCP/IP. MS Kermit readily talks across
NetWare using their NetBios emulator. If you are using 3Com's TCP/IP package
then I'd have to talk with 3Com about their mechanisms of bridging out of
the LAN.  However, the other approach is to make the MicroVax regard the LAN
connection as a regular login port. In that case MS Kermit could speak to
the MicroVax directly as a terminal (across the LAN in packets and all) just
as I do to my Unix box with STARLAN. Check with 3Com and/or have them give
me a call at (801) 750-2982 (days, MST) to sort out the affair.  If it makes
any difference a lot of people want similar functionality: from PC on a LAN
to their larger host via Ethernet or whatever.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Mar 88 14:05:16 CST
From: moore@ncsc.ARPA (Moore)
Subject: Kermit v2.30 and Hayes Modem Query

I'm having a problem executing a remote command using Kermit; I hope someone
can help:

I have a server on the west coast running MS Kermit 2.30 on a Compaq with a
Smartmodem 2400, and my local machine is a 248 with a Zenith 2400 modem.  My
problem is this: I need to be able to not only shut the server down on the
west coast (no problem there), but also shut the modem off remotely.  I've
tried writing the string ATS0=0 (disable autoanswer) to a file called
SHUT_UP.TXT, then writing to a batch file shut_up.bat the command COPY
SHUT_UP.TXT COM1: I then upload both files to the server, and issue the
kermit command remote host shut_up, which should copy ATS0=0 to com1: Well,
I've tried it locally, and the "server" echoes the command and replies "1
file(s) copied" so the copy is working right, only the modem doesn't come
out of autoanswer, and when I query ATS0? I get back a non-zero number (the
default).  I've also tried directing ATZ to the modem, with no success.  Yet
when I run the batch file on my machine, as well as the "server", it works
fine...

Any help?  (Please!?!)

[From jrd - The modem can be shut down (turning off auto-answer mode) by
first placing the modem in "command" mode with the Hayes " +++ " sequence
(with 1-second pause before and after) and then issuing the ATS0=0 command.
If Kermit is running as a server within a script then the above strings can
be sent to the modem with the OUTPUT command.  Asking DOS to send the command
while Kermit is running is not a good idea because DOS depends on modem lines
DSR and CTS being asserted before its i/o will succeed.  Try this script
example:

        <Kermit setup commands go here>
        Server          ; receipt of FIN command will exit Server mode
        pause 2         ; lead time for +++ sequence
        output +++
        pause 2         ; exit time for +++ sequence
        output ATS0=0\13 ; turn off auto-answer mode
        exit            ; exit Kermit

Seems like the right thing to do anyway.]

------------------------------

Date: 04 Mar 1988
From: reck@dbnuama1.bitnet (Gisbert W.Selke)
Subject: A Few Notes on MS-Kermit 2.30

     Here are a few observations on very minor problems with MS-Kermit 2.30
in the 08 Jan version. - I'm running it on a very close AT clone under DOS 3.3,
with *no* compatibility problems so far; but then again, I'm not sure that
there couldn't be compatibility trouble (DOS 3.3). - Anyway, here goes:

[From jrd - I use PC DOS 3.30 locally so any bugs are mine and not IBM's.]

(i) If a host application has written to line 25 of the PC screen by directly
addressing it, the mode line is turned off alright, as described in the manual.
However, a subsequent [clear screen[ sequence (ESC left-bracket 2 J) seems to
clear only lines 1 through 24; line 25 remains uncleared. This is somewhat
disturbing at times.

[From jrd - the bottom/status/25-th line is not part of the regular host
display unless the terminal kind is NONE. Some users employ that line for
host status and hot key legends and a normal screen erasure would be
unwanted.  It can be erased by placing the cursor there first, ESC
left-bracket 25 ; 0 H or the appropriate line number for other display
sizes. Btw, version 2.30/A will finally solve the mode line toggle (fossil
mode line) problem.]

(ii) Is there no way to get reverse blinking text? On our VT102 clones (ECMA
standard, to be exact), this works, but on a PC running Kermit, it doesn't.
(May be a hardware restriction?? I didn't find it in the manual, though.)

[From jrd - my EGA + high res color monitor respond to ESC left-bracket 5 m
as the reverse video signal and to ESC left-bracket 7 m as the inverse video
command. ESC left-bracket 5 ; 7 m will do both together. Kermit does do them
so they should appear on your monitor. Numbers in ESC left-bracket .. m are

    0 (or nothing): clear all attributes
    1: bold
    4: underline
    5: blink
    7: inverse video
    10: fast screen updating (not adjustable by host commands, for CGA only)
    30-37: foreground color = 30 plus sum of 1=red, 2=green, 4=blue
    40-47: background color             same

applied in the order received. Underline is inverse video on color monitors.]

(iii) Is the setting of the DOS errorlevel really working?? It is OK with
receiving files, but I seem to get a non-zero errorlevel on each and every
file transfer. - Note: I have a rather complicated script built along the lines
of your example in the manual (or wherever it was I saw it); stepwise checking
reveals that the error level seems to be set not due to script commands
(like [input xxx[) but during the file transfer proper.

[From jrd - that's a real bug. The code was written to behave properly but
last minute changes made the SEND command always report an error. This is
fixed in version 2.30/A which is in preparation.  Apologies to all.]

(iv) I have problems accessing the F11/F12 keys in combination with
shift/alt/ctrl. Part of this is probably due to the German keyboard adaptor
I use (not IBM's KEYB xx, something called KEY6000), but it occurs even without
any resident keyboard adaptor at all. (I'm not having other TSRs in memory,
either.)  Here is what SCANCHEK 4.0 (22 Jan 88) reports (in keeping with
Kermit's "show key"):

            with KEY6000                          without KEY6000
           "key name"    key ident              "key name"    key ident
F11         C-F12        \394                    A-H          \291
SF11        --- nothing ---                      --- nothing ---
CF11        A-,          \1331                   A-4          \1403
AF11        --- nothing ---                      (graphic)    \207
SCF11       A-,          \1843                   A-4          \1915
SAF11       --- nothing ---                      (graphic)    \207
CAF11       --- nothing ---                      (graphic)    \207
SCAF11      --- nothing ---                      (graphic)    \207

F12         *unknown*    \504                    A-J          \36
SF12        K            \75                     --- nothing ---
CF12        A-.          \1332                   A-5          \1404
AF12        --- nothing ---                      (graphic)    \207
SCF12       A-.          \1844                   A-5          \1916
SAF12       --- nothing ---                      (graphic)    \207
CAF12       --- nothing ---                      (graphic)    \207
SCAF12      --- nothing ---                      (graphic)    \207

The only key combinations with the "extended keyboard flag" were F11, CF11,
SCF11, and CF12, but only under KEY6000.

[From jrd - Hmmm. For the Enhanced keyboard the individual items making the
reported key code are:
scan codes F11, F12 = 133, 134; SF11, SF12 = 135, 136, CF11, CF12 = 137, 138,
AF11, AF12 = 139, 140 plus Enhanced kbd = 1024 plus Scancode = 256 plus Shift
= 2, Control = 4, Alt = 8. All in decimal notation. I don't have an Enhanced
kbd handy to check but something appears strangely, such as F12 showing as
\36. Could it be your keyboard differs from IBM's in some coding details?

So, this sums it up (modulo typos); the "F11/F12" item is *not* meant as
something to worry anyone - I can easily survive without these fancy keys.
I just thought someone might be interested, or maybe encounter similar
problems.

Otherwise, Kermit is working just fine. It's a great thing to use, and we do
use it everyday. I haven't checked the TEK emulation yet, but I most
certainly will.  BTW: no strong feelings about overlaying or not.

\Gisbert

[From jrd - Right, one abstaining vote on the Tek erasure/overlay subject.
I'm counting the few which have arrived. Otherwise, Tek emulation will be
better in version 2.30/A.  Plus other nice additions are being tested now.
Thanks again for the information.]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------