[comp.protocols.kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V7 #10

SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christine M Gianone) (04/06/88)

Info-Kermit Digest         Tue, 5 Apr 1988       Volume 7 : Number 10

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -
        MS-DOS and C-Kermit Source Diskettes Now Available
        Okstate Kermit Distribution Updated
        Announcing C-Kermit 4E(070) for the Amiga
        Announcing XSEND, a Utility for MS-DOS Kermit

  PORTABLE IBM 370 KERMIT -
        More Updates for CMS Kermit
        TSO Kermit Problems
        MVS/TSO Kermit Packet Size Query (and Answer)

  MS-DOS KERMIT -
        Anybody Like a VT-202 Layout?
        Session Log Bug in MS-DOS Kermit 2.30
        Memory Resident Server
        IBM PS/2 60 Bug

  MACINTOSH KERMIT -
        MacKermit 9(36)b4 Parity Problem
        0.9(36)beta Versions of MacKermit
        Basic MacKermit Help
        MAC Kermit .936

  VAX/VMS KERMIT -
        Problems with Filenames in VAX/VMS Kermit
        VMS Kermit - Sending Filespecs
        VAX/VMS Kermit "SET LINE" Command?

  MISCELLANY -
        CPM Kermit Help
        RE: Setting Flow Control for EMACS in Kermit
        PROCOMM+'s Kermit Feature
        Question on NetBios
        KEASY.TEX

Send digest submissions to Info-Kermit@CU20B, requests for addition to or
deletion from the Info-Kermit subscriber list to Info-Kermit-Request@CU20B.

Kermit files may be obtained over networks and by mail order.  On the
Internetwork, use FTP to log in to host CU20B, CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU, or
CU20B.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (a DECSYSTEM-20), as user ANONYMOUS, using any password,
and GET the desired files from logical device KER:.  You can also get Kermit
files over BITNET/EARN; to get started send a message with text HELP to
KERMSRV, the Kermit file server, at host CUVMA.  For detailed instructions,
read the file KER:AANETW.HLP (AANETW HLP on KERMSRV).  To order by mail,
request a complete list of Kermit versions and an order form from Kermit
Distribution, Columbia University Center for Computing Activities, 612 West
115th Street, New York, NY 10025 USA.

Date: Thu 24 Mar 88 12:23:36-EST
From: Christine M Gianone <SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: MS-DOS and C-Kermit Source Diskettes Now Available

By popular demand, source diskettes for MS-DOS Kermit version 2.30, and UNIX
Kermit version 4E(070) are now available from Columbia University Center for
Computing Activities Kermit Distribution.

A set of four IBM PC MS-DOS 360K diskettes contains the source files for
MS-DOS Kermit, for the IBM PC and PS/2 families and compatibles.  A $50 fee
is charged for the source diskettes with the MS-DOS Kermit User Guide.
Please specify MS-DOS Kermit Source Diskettes when ordering.

A set of two IBM PC MS-DOS 360K diskettes contains the source files for the
UNIX version of C-Kermit, which can be built for many different UNIX
systems, including Berkeley, AT&T, Xenix, etc.  A $30 fee is charged for the
source diskettes with the C-Kermit User Guide.  Please specify C-Kermit
Source Diskettes when ordering.

We are also looking into providing Kermit programs in other formats.  Here's
a question I hope someone can answer: Is DEC's new diskette drive, the RX33,
able to read diskettes written (by the same operating system, VMS or Ultrix)
on an RX50?

Here's another question: Can Micro-PDP11's read TK50 tape cartridges written
on a MicroVAX with VMS?  In what format?  Will TK70 drives be able to read
TK50 tapes?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 88 08:18:12 -0600
From: Mark Vasoll <vasoll@a.cs.okstate.edu>
Subject: Okstate Kermit Distribution Updated

I just received and installed a new set of Kermit tapes from Columbia.  All
the latest versions should now be available via our UUCP and Kermit server
service.

Mark Vasoll
Computing and Information Sciences   Internet:  vasoll@a.cs.okstate.edu
Oklahoma State University            UUCP:  {cbosgd, ihnp4,
Stillwater, Oklahoma                         rutgers}!okstate!vasoll

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 88 14:38:49 PST
From: RCKG01M%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU  (Stephen Walton)
Subject: Announcing C-Kermit 4E(070) for the Amiga

Enclosed is a shell archive containing the following files:

    ckiker.bwr--A new version, with my comments on the end.
    ckiker.boo--A BOO file for C Kermit on the Amiga.
    Makefile--A makefile for the Amiga under Aztec C.
    diffs--The context diffs to convert CKI*.C to the new versions.
    msb_diffs--Context diffs which I applied to make msbpct.c and
           msbmkb.c work on the Amiga.

I hope all of this is useful to somebody.

                Steve Walton, 29-Mar-88
                Dept. of Physics & Astronomy
                Cal State, Northridge
                18111 Nordhoff St.
                Northridge, CA 91330

Email to: swalton@solar.stanford.edu (will forward)

[Ed. - Thanks, Steve!  The entire shell archive has been added, for now,
to CKIKER.UPD, and the changes will be applied to the next release of
C-Kermit.  In case you're wondering what this does for Amiga users, the
major change since the last Amiga release is the addition of long packets.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 30 Mar 1988 21:04:24 CST
From: Mark S. Zinzow <Markz%UIUCVMD.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Announcing XSEND, a Utility for MS-DOS Kermit

Enclosed is a copy of XSEND.C, a program to generate TAKE (script) files for
MS-DOS Kermit to allow it to send files and directories to a server over entire
tree branches or disks.  This version generates commands with absolute path
names, and therefore works only between two MS-DOS systems

Perhaps a useful extension might include passing arguments for remote and
local prefix strings to allow relative paths (e.g. ".") or drive letters
etc.  Suggestions for simple and easy to use command syntax are welcome.

The program compiles with Turbo C and Microsoft C, and possibly others.

[Ed. - Thanks, Mark!  Your program has been added to the Kermit distribution
as MSIXSE.*, including the C source program, a .BOO file based on a Microsoft
C 5.0 compilation, and some help text.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1988 Apr 4   16:42 EDT
From: (John F. Chandler)   PEPMNT@CFAAMP.BITNET
Subject: More Updates for CMS Kermit

I have sent new versions of IKCKER.BWR & IKCKER.UPD, noting and correcting
numerous minor problems in CMS Kermit-370 4.0.

                                        John

[Ed. - Thanks, John!  The files are now available in the Kermit distribution.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1988 Mar 24   13:01 EST
From: (John F. Chandler)   PEPMNT@CFAAMP.BITNET
Subject: TSO Kermit Problems

Concerning the new Kermit for TSO: a few bug reports have come in, and
fixes are in the works.

1. Uploading a member of an existing PDS will force the DCB attributes of
   the PDS to whatever Kermit-TSO has for FILE parameters.  A workaround
   is to SET APPEND ON while uploading members.
2. HELP cannot be invoked twice within the same Kermit session.  More
   generally, TSO commands may leave datasets marked "in use" so that
   they are unavailable for further processing.
3. The DIR subcommand is uninterruptible.  The same is true of any
   TSO command invoked from Kermit which doesn't issue a STAX.  If you
   hit BREAK enough times, though, you can get back to the TMP.
4. Kermit may hang when entering protocol mode over a protocol
   emulator if the screen is already full.  A workaround is to clear
   screen by hand.
5. There are rumors that this version won't work for TTY lines through
   VTAM.  If this is true, a temporary workaround might be to issue a
   SET CON FULL by hand (or that might not work either).  In any case,
   if there is any confirmation of the rumors, I'd like to hear the
   details, and I have two possible fixes ready, just in case.
6. If you invoke a non-existant TSO command from Kermit, there will
   be a sub-task ABEND and a READY message.  Just type a carriage return
   to resume Kermit operation.

The fixes for items 1-4 should be out shortly (in IKTKER.UPD).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 88 09:22:32 SET
From: Peter Bodifee <ESC1467@ESOC>
Subject: MVS/TSO Kermit Packet Size Query

Re: Info-Kermit Digest, V7 #8:

After reading the new possibilities of the latest MVS kermit, the following
question popped up.

Why is the maximum receive packet size in Kermit TSO version 1.00 (via 7171)
limited to 60 ? Is this because there is a hardware limitation in the 7171
(that is what I have been told, but I have some strong indications against it)?
The documentation I have on the 7171 does not give me any information in the
input/output buffer sizes.

Any help in this direction will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Peter Bodifee
          ESA/European Space Operation Centre
          Darmstadt, West Germany
          BITNET:  ESC1467@ESOC
          phone  +49 6151 886046

[Reply From John Chandler, author of IBM mainframe Kermit 4.0: Early versions
of the 7171 had an input buffer of only 64 bytes or so.  If a micro Kermit
tried sending packets longer than that, nothing could get through.  As a matter
of fact, I believe the buffer is still fairly small, but the 7171 code performs
flow control so that it can keep up with any packet size from the micro.  Both
the CMS and TSO Kermits used to have a packet size default of 60 for SERIES1
mode, but release 4.0 of Kermit-370 has removed that convention (for both CMS
and TSO).  An informal poll conducted last fall (in the form of a query
broadcast to all subscribers of the BITNET IBM7171 discussion group) failed to
turn up any known 7171's which still need the 60-byte packet limit.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 88 13:26 MEZ
From: "Eberhard W. Lisse" <IUS%DACTH51.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Anybody Like a VT-202 Layout?

We hacked up a vt202 layout which runs TPU and I felt I should beam it over
right away. (Well before I leave the Burn Unit anyway ...)

regards, el

Eberhard W. Lisse, MD
Burn Unit, Technical University, Aachen, West Germany

[Ed. - Thanks, el!  (VT202?) Since people tend to send in lots of these
special- purpose .INI files, we've decided to collect them all into a single
file, MSIIBM.HLP, and yours is will be at the top.]

------------------------------

Date:  4 Apr 88 20:56 +0100
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche%runix.runit.unit.uninett@TOR.nta.no>
Subject: Session Log Bug in MS-DOS Kermit 2.30

The command 'log session foo.bar' seems to work OK except in the case
when foo.bar exists but is empty (that is, it has zero bytes in it).
In this special case, nothing is appended to the file, and the session
log is lost.

An empty file is easily created by Kermit itself, if you follow the
command 'log session foo.bar' immediately by a 'close' command.  This
is how I happened to create an empty file and subsequently got burnt.
Ouch!

[Ed. - This is obviously a bug that needs fixing...]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Mar 88 11:21:42 CST
From: Arlene Slocum <ARLENE%UKANVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Memory Resident Server

Is there such a thing as server mode only of Kermit that stays memory resident
and checks the serial port for file transfer requests?  We are running version
2.30 Columbia Kermit at 9600 baud over an x.25 network on IBMPC XT compatibles.
We would like a background server capability that is compatible with Kermit and
lets PC users do other work.

Arlene Slocum, Programmer/analyst
Institute for Public Policy and business Research
University of Kansas
607 Blake
Lawrence, Kansas  66045
913-864-3701
send replies to my bitnet address: ARLENE@UKANVM

[Ed. - Currently no.  There is a Microsoft Windows version of Kermit, capable
of background operation, but it doesn't have the ability to act as a server.
MS-Kermit 2.30 can act as a server, but has no particular ability to operate
in the background.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 88 11:20:45 DNT
From: <MSTCOM%NEUVM1.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: IBM PS/2 60 Bug

The IBM PS/2 60 does have a bug. The local IBM-people should know about the
system time problem, and if they don't, tell them to ask the Danish IBM-team.
We had the same problem here, until some patch-code in the CONFIG.SYS was
installed by an IBM'er.

                       Niels Kristian Jensen.

[Ed. - This is in response to the query from Stephen Walton in V7 #9 about
not being to boot the model 60 after running Kermit...]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Mar 88 12:44:41-1000
From: david@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (David Lassner)
Subject: MacKermit 9(36)b4 Parity Problem

Is anyone using MacKermit 9(36)b4 successfully with a host that requires
even parity?  We can't get it to work with ours.

David Lassner, University of Hawaii Computing Center
david@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu     david@uhccux.bitnet

[Ed. - The parity bug will be fixed in the "real" release, coming soon.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 88 11:43:57 EST
From: JS05STAF%MIAMIU.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: 0.9(36)beta Versions of MacKermit

I have been using the 0.9(36)b3 version of Kermit for several weeks.
It works very well under Multifinder, although not as a multitasking
application.  I used getinfo to set the size to 128K.  (I don't know
what a MacII size should be).  The only anomalies I have found are that
downloaded files often don't show up with the correct size until opened
from another application and that window update gets confused about whether
text should be bold or not.

On Feb 1, 1988 I downloaded the 0.9(36)b4 version of Kermit from the
University of Toledo server (CKM936.HQX).  This version will set EVEN parity
in the Communications dialog box, will save the setting to a file, will
restore this setting under LOAD settings, but unfortunately will not
set the Mac serial port to even parity.  Persons using an IBM 7171 protocol
converter will not be able to use this version.  It may be useful to make
the 0.9(36)b3 version available until this problem can be resolved.

I have terminal tables for use with a 7171 protocol converter for the four
common Mac keyboards, including the old numeric keypad.  Documentation is in
the form of MacDraw files.  I would be happy to .sit them and send them for
distribution if there is interest and if someone can tell me where they should
be sent.

Thanks to everyone who has worked on the Macintoh versions.  0.8(34) works
today.  There aren't many programs of that vintage thay can make that claim.

[Ed. - Any day now, we'll have a new release that fixes the parity bug,
and is not a step backward.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 88 21:41:56 PST
From: Dennis Mar <2001P%NAVPGS.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Basic MacKermit Help

Greetings far-flung correspondents:  thank you for your kind offers
of advice.

We operate an IBM3033 with VM/CMS.  In November the Kermit release
was upgraded from 2.01 to 3.1.

A MacIntosh SE users says "the difficulty apparently lies between
Red Rider 10.3 and the mainframe KERMIT.  I set the KERMIT carrot-Q
handshake.  However I fell that there may be other parameters that
need to be set.

  1. Is Red Ryder's SEND/RECEIVE Kermit compatible with Release 3.1?
  2. What are the parameter settings required?
  3. Are there more mainframe Kermit commands required than in the past?"

Any advice or direction to the appropriate documentation would be most
appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: 1 Apr 88 16:56:52 GMT
From: fsimmons@ub.d.umn.edu (Frank Simmons)
Subject: MAC Kermit .936

 Has anyone discovered how to send a break with the latest version of
 MacKermit?

[Ed. - The new release will include a manual!]

------------------------------

Date: 21 Mar 88 09:20:00 CST
From: "NTVAXB::JAMES" <james%ntvaxb.decnet@utadnx.cc.utexas.edu>
Subject: Problems with Filenames in VAX/VMS Kermit

I have a user with a peculiar problem.  When he tries to SEND a file from
VAX Kermit by giving its full file specification, VAX Kermit bombs saying
it couldn't find the file.  Example :

Kermit-32> SEND DUA1:[PUBLIC]NETWORKS.DOC
(now it waits, as it should)
(I get back to local kermit and type RECEIVE)
(and it fails because it could not find file "NETWORKS.DO")
(I CONNECT back to VAX Kermit and do : )
Kermit-32> STATUS
Last error : File not found for DUA1:[PUBLIC]NETWORKS.DO

Apparently the VAX KERMIT loses the last character of the filename somewhere
along the line.  This only occurs when a drive or directory name is specified.
Any ideas on this one ?

We are using version 3.3.111...

At any rate, I was wondering when a new version of VMS Kermit could be
expected.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the new MS-DOS version, and would
love to see a new version of the VMS...

James Shoffit                  BitNet: JAMES@NTSUVAX  (POSTMAST@NTSUVAX)
Vax Programmer/Operator        THENET: NTVAXB::JAMES  (NTVAXB::POSTMASTER)
Postmaster for NTSUVAX.BITNET  Inter : james%ntvaxb.decnet@utadnx.cc.utexas.edu
North Texas State University        or james@ntsuvax.bitnet
Denton, Texas  76203

[Ed. - Unfortunately...  it looks as if Kermit-32 has some kind of fixed-
length buffer for filenames, or some other kind of limitation or bug.  And
there's not much chance of getting it fixed, since the original authors have
all left Stevens Institute of Technology, and no one else has come forward
to take over responsibility for the program -- small wonder, since it's written
in Bliss-32, a language found almost nowhere.  Meanwhile, much-improved VMS
support is being added to C-Kermit, and there should be an announcement some
time in the not-too-distant future.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Mar 88 17:41 EDT
From: <MREGO1%CLARKU.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: VMS Kermit - Sending Filespecs

Is the following a known bug of VMS Kermit?

Kermit-32>set file naming untranslated
Kermit-32>send *.*
Sending: DQA0:[MIKE]SCARLETBEGONIAS.TXT;23 as SCARLETBEGONIAS.TXT [OK]
Sending: DQA0:[MIKE]FIREMOUNTAIN.TXT;1T;23 as FIREMOUNTAIN.TXT [OK]
Sending: DQA0:[MIKE]STSTEPHEN.TXT;15;1T;23 as STSTEPHEN.TXT [OK]

The files get sent [OK], but that initial filespec gets annoying...

Mike Rego  <MREGO1@CLARKU.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 88 15:37:33 EST
From: kobus@nadc.arpa (David Kobus)
Subject: VAX/VMS Kermit "SET LINE" Command?

When trying to use the VAX/VMS "set line" command on KERMIT, I encounter a
"no privilege for attempted operation".  Does anybody know what VAX/VMS
category privilege (e.g. netmbx,share) I must allow a user to enable the
terminal line to be accessible to the user's processes?

(later...)

1.Upon trial and error, it appears that the "READALL" privilege category is
  the least dangerous privilege that you can authorize a user running on a
  MicroVAX II VMS system in order to permit a KERMIT SET LINE command to be
  issued.
2.I invite verification from the VMS KERMIT community.

  David B. Kobus
  Naval Air Development Center

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 88 16:21:52 MST
From: rtravsky@UWYO.BITNET (Richard Travsky)
Subject: CPM Kermit Help

Hi -
  I don't know if you can help me with this or not.

  I and and few others in my department own Kaypro 2X's.  We have a CPM
version of Kermit that we got through the BITNET KERMSRV.  It works fine
file transfer wise.  It has a VT52 emulation mode that doesn't work too well
on the 2X.  Since we recently acquired a pair of VAX 8800s, this emulation
feature is now of more concern to us.  Is there a CPM Kermit version more
suitable for the 2X?  The Kermsrv index is huge and it is hard to tell what
file is what.

  We'll be eternally grateful for any help you could give.

Rich Travsky
Computer Services
RTRAVSKY@UWYO.BITNET    (or ZUC02AA@WYOCDC1.BITNET)

[Ed. - No, there's nothing specific for the 2X.  You're more than welcome
to add support for it to CP/M Kermit yourself!  (Or if anyone else has already
done so, please speak up!]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 6 Mar 88 12:27:46 EST
From: jbs@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal)
Subject: RE: Setting Flow Control for EMACS in Kermit

Re: Info-Kermit Digest V7 #7

>[Ed. - The real, though painful, workaround is to SET FLOW NONE before you
>start EMACS, and SET FLOW XON/XOFF when you exit EMACS, see below.]

How about some escape sequence the host can send to Kermit to turn
flow-control on and off.  Emacs (GNU Emacs anyway) can be configured
to send such a sequence when entering or exiting.

Jeff Siegal

[Ed. - Unfortunately, the DEC VT102 does not support such a sequence,
and it's often a bad idea to make up new sequences for terminal emulators,
as they may conflict with other new sequences that other people make up.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 88 08:35:53 PST
From: ren@ux1.lbl.gov
Subject: PROCOMM+'s Kermit Feature

A user at our site has recently solved a problem that has been annoying him
for sometime.  The user uses PROCOMM+ to log on to the Unix mainframe from
home, and loves this product.  However, he has never got its inbuilt kermit
protocol to work correctly.  He recently figured out, however, that if he
resets the communications parameters to N-8-1 in mid-session, although
normal unix prompts etc. go gahgah, kermit then works fine.  Therefore, he
changes the parameters for kermit use and then back again when he exits
kermit and everything works fine.  Do you think this means there is some
misset parameter in our kermit installation?  Any other theories?  The user
uses E-7-1 for normal unix purposes.

Thanks for any help in this matter.

                        Bob Rendler rerendler@lbl.gov

[Ed. - Many UNIX systems use parity by default, typically even.  When you
run Kermit on the PC, you don't notice this because Kermit strips the parity
bit during terminal emulation by default (you can override this with SET
DISPLAY 8).  However, UNIX Kermit does NOT use parity during file transfer --
it puts the communication line into 8-bit "raw" (binary) mode during packet
operations.  Apparently Procomm does not provide a way, as MS-Kermit does,
to do "no parity" but also to strip the high-order bit during terminal
connection.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 88 22:17 PST
From: CARL FUSSELL <CARL%SCU.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Question on NetBios

I am looking for information on Net Bios.  Can anyone suggest references
I might look at?   We were thinking about trying to coerce IBM PC
Kermit talk to our VAX (C-Kermit) over our ethernet.  Any opinions
or comments about the feasibility of this would be welcome.

Thanx in advance...

Carl Fussell
Santa Clara Univ
CARL@SCU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 88 16:55 EDT
From: Ted Nieland - SRL <@WPAFB-AAMRL.ARPA:TNIELAND@FALCON>
Subject: KEASY.TEX

I just FTPed KEASY.TEX from CU20B, but I am getting many errors when I run it
through LaTeX.  Does KEASY require a special STY file?  Is anyone else having
problems with KEASY.TEX?

Ted Nieland

[Ed. - We received several complaints like this.  Has anybody succeeded in
running it thru TeX?  Directions, fixes, would be appreciated.]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------