[comp.protocols.kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V7 #12

SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christine M Gianone) (05/19/88)

Info-Kermit Digest         Wed, 18 May 1988       Volume 7 : Number 12

Today's Topics:

                        Kermit News Articles Needed
              Announcing Version 4.09 of Kermit-80 for CP/M-80
                Announcing QK-Kermit Version 3.0 for MS-DOS
                        Announcing Sanyo Kermit 2.30
          Announcing re-release of V2.30, MS-Kermit for iRMX OS's
        Announcing a New MSKermit 2.30 for Apricot F Series Machines
                Announcing C-Kermit 4D(061) Adapted to MINIX
                          Updates for TSO Kermit
                   Error in CD3KER, CDC Cyber NOS Kermit
                                 CDC Kermit
              Clarification of uucp-support address on okstate
                              DG/1 Success!!!
                            Kermit Konfigurator
            C-Kermit 4E(070) and Long Packets under VMS vs X.25
                  DEC PRO350 Terminal Emulation Software?

Send digest submissions to Info-Kermit@CU20B, requests for addition to or
deletion from the Info-Kermit subscriber list to Info-Kermit-Request@CU20B.

Kermit files may be obtained over networks and by mail order.  On the
Internetwork, use FTP to log in to host CU20B, CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU, or
CU20B.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (a DECSYSTEM-20), as user ANONYMOUS, using any password,
and GET the desired files from logical device KER:.  You can also get Kermit
files over BITNET/EARN; to get started send a message with text HELP to
KERMSRV, the Kermit file server, at host CUVMA.  For detailed instructions,
read the file KER:AANETW.HLP (AANETW HLP on KERMSRV).  To order by mail,
request a complete list of Kermit versions and an order form from Kermit
Distribution, Columbia University Center for Computing Activities, 612 West
115th Street, New York, NY 10025 USA.

Date: Wed 18 May 88 12:00:00
From: Christine M Gianone <SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Kermit News Articles Needed

The next issue of the Kermit newsletter is in progress.  Some of the
articles in the past issue described how Kermit was and is being used in the
U.S. and other countries.  We would like to include a similar section in
the next Kermit News.  Please submit any articles describing how Kermit is
being put to good, interesting or unusual uses as soon as possible since we
hope to go to print sometime in the next month.  We would be especially
interested in stories about how Kermit is used to somehow benefit humanity
(or other creatures), to foster international cooperation, or to make life
easier for the disabled.  For many, Kermit is used for mundane purposes like
saving money.  We'd like to hear about that too.

Thanks again to all those people who have submitted articles in the past.

                                          - Christine Gianone

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jan 88 0:00:00
From: Bertil Schou, Loughborough University, UK
Via: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: Announcing Version 4.09 of Kermit-80 for CP/M-80

After an incredibly long gestation period, here is hopefully an updated
version of Kermit-80 V4.05. Kermit-80 V4.08 is issued for testing purposes
only.  Version 4.09 is the release issue of version 4.08.  I still, however,
want any feedback about problems generated in this revision, or others
desperately want fixing.

Superficially, there is little real change in operation of Kermit-80, version
4.05, but there have been some major jobs tackled like trapping BDOS calls and
multiple FCB buffering...

New bits for this version include:
     SET       {SEND/RECEIVE} START-OF-PACKET character
     SET       DIRECTORY-FILE-SIZE (Shows or hides file sizes on
                 DIRectory displays)
     SET       TERMINAL to OFF, VT52, DUMB, EXTERNAL, QUIET, REGULAR.
     SET       USER to set other user spaces
     RECEIVE   to collect a file from a remote SENDer
     GET       to collect a file from a remote SERVER
     SEND      {local filename} {remote filename}
     TAKE      to take command files from disk (including other take files!)
     FCOPY     Copy CP/M files from within Kermit (no wildcard)
     TYPE      Type a file to the console from within Kermit
     PRINT     Print a file to the printer from within Kermit
     -         Updated  TRANSMIT command that waits for a string of characters
                 from the host (default is CR).
     -         Command line commands, eg:
                    KERMIT ;SET FILE BINARY;SEND FOO.BAR
     -         Automatic TAKE KERMIT.INI on default disk on
     -         Much improved speed on DIRECTORY
     -         Automatic CLOSE-ing of a terminal connection if the line is
                 DROP-ped (currently only for an Apple, and Torch has a dummy
                 test for cntrl-] D in connect state)
     -         Improved printer handling.

On the negative side, only LASM and Microsoft M80 assemblers can be used to
assemble the source files. I personally see no point in being able to support
several assemblers if LASM can do the job, but then again, I have not used the
MAC80 cross assembler...  Comments on assembler compatabilities, please!

All source files have been renamed, and there are a few additions. All source
files are named in the form CPaxxx.ASM, where:

     a=A for general information
     a=S for system independent source files and hex file
     a=X for system dependent source files
     a=V for system-dependent hex files

The system dependent code has changed a litle too, hopefully bringing the
CPXSYS.ASM (formerly CP4SYS.ASM) file a bit more toward a manageable size.
There is now the possibility for FAMILIES of systems, like APPLE and NorthStar
(also Comart), which contains code for computers of a single type.  I have
immediately gone against all this by creating a family with the code for
Torches, Cifers, Ithacas and Superbrains (this because we have these systems
here at Loughborough.)

Bertil Schou.

[Ed. - Many thanks, Bertil!  And also to Alan Phillips and Steve Jenkins at
Lancaster University for sending this new version to us via transoceanic
magnetic tape, and to the many others in the UK who contributed to this new
release.  This version supports all the systems supported by version 4.05,
with the exception of the HP-125, and with the addition of many more, for a
total of something like 52 systems.  The new files have been installed in
KER:CP*.*, and the old ones moved (on CU20B, anyway) to KO:CP*.*.  CP/M
users, please get this new version and try it out, so we can make sure it's
safe to distribute.  And this is also the time to plead ONCE AGAIN for
volunteers to distribute CP/M Kermit on 5.25-inch diskette for different
kinds of systems, and also in "universal" 8-inch diskette format.  Please
come forward if you can do it, or know of a user group that can!]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Apr 88 11:35 EDT
From: VIC%QUCDN.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU
Subject: Announcing QK-Kermit Version 3.0 for MS-DOS

I have a new version of QK-Kermit which was written using Turbo Pascal 4.0
compiler.  This version no longer supports CP/M systems but was specifically
written to run on MsDos systems.  It takes advantage of the new Turbo Pascal
features such as the new Turbo Pascal Units (TPU) and the improved graphics
facility.  It is now no longer necessary to have different version of
QK-Kermit for each of the graphics cards.  The same KERMIT.EXE file will work
on CGA, EGA, Hercules, MCGA, and VGA graphics card.

Last time, I had problems in sending the new version over BITNET, and ended up
sending you the files via floppy disk.  I will send the new version via a 3.5
inch floppy if that is OK with you.

                                Victor Lee

[Ed. - Thanks, Victor!  The disk was received in good order, and the files
have been installed in the Kermit Distribution, replacing version 2.8 from
October 1987.  The files on the disk have been renamed to fit the Kermit
Distribution naming conventions.  They can be restored to their original
names by running the DOS batch file, QK3AAY.BAT.  The executable program is
in the form of a simple hex file, and can be converted back into an
executable .EXE file by running QK3EXE (originally called HEXEXE) on it.]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1988 May 15   14:10 EDT
From: Bob Babcock <PEPRBV@CFAAMP.BITNET>
Subject: Announcing Sanyo Kermit 2.30

This is to announce the release of Kermit version 2.30 for the Sanyo 550 and
555.  This version is derived from the IBM 2.30 release, and supports
essentially all of the features of the IBM version which make sense for the
Sanyo.  Unlike previous releases, a single executable will run on machines
with or without the optional CGA-like video board.  (A video board is required
for Tektronix emulation.)

The files being sent to Columbia are:
  MSV55X.BOO - BOO-encoded .EXE file (decode with any MSBPCT program)
  MSG55X.ASM, MSU55X.ASM, MSX55X.ASM, MSY55X.ASM, MSZ55X.ASM - system
      dependent source files (also uses the generic MS-Kermit 2.30
      sources)
  MSV55X.HLP - Sanyo-specific addendum to the MS-Kermit 2.30 manual

Present in the source code, but disabled by conditional assembly statements,
is code to apply a temporary patch to the BIOS keyboard routines to enable
more key combinations to be distinguished.  This will only work if the
keyboard interrupt is not being intercepted by a previously loaded program
such as a print spooler or a TSR.

Anyone interested in working on future releases should contact one of the
current developers for copies of the update files and updating program which
are used to create the Sanyo sources from the IBM originals.

Developers for this release are
  Bob Babcock - peprbv@cfaamp.bitnet
  Joe White - jhw@rti.rti.org

[Ed. - Thanks to Bob and Joe for all of this!  The files have been placed
in the Kermit distribution under the names listed above.  Now we only have
a few MS-DOS systems remaining whose Kermits haven't yet been upgraded to
2.30 level.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 May 88 12:18:32 PDT
From: JAFW801%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU  (Jack Bryans)
Subject: Announcing re-release of V2.30, MS-Kermit for iRMX OS's

One out of thirty files sent from RMX with a three byte checksum failed
depending on the length of the last packet modulo sub-packet size.  This
re-release fixes that.  Files updated are MSVRMX.BOO (for iRMX 86), MSVRX2.BOO
(for iRMX 286), MSXRMX.A86, and MSVRMX.MAC.  The latter file was modified to
change the RMX date in the sign-on and version messages to 22 Apr and to
eliminate erroneous and confusing error messages in the edit pass when run on
iRMX 86.

[Ed. - Thanks for the fix Jack!  The old files have been replaced with the
new ones.]

------------------------------

Date: 26-APR-1988 15:29:57 GMT
From: RW_CARLTON@UK.AC.OPEN.ACS.VAX
Subject: Announcing a New MSKermit 2.30 for Apricot F Series Machines

I have a working version of MSKermit 2.30 for Apricot machines it runs well on
my FP portable and so should run on the rest of the F series. I know of no
reason why it should not run on the PC/XI but I have yet to get feedback on
this. However I felt it better to let you have it as is and then wait for
comments, if any. I have implemented the keyboard translator but only in a
very basic form as yet. Otherwise it performs most of the other features of
2.30 such as script files etc. but no modem support or terminal emulation.

The files are:
               MSVAPR.BOO    BOO-encoded .EXE file;
               MSUAPR.ASM
               MSXAPR.ASM

Dick Carlton
Department of Earth Sciences,
The Open University,
Walton Hall,
Milton Keynes, England KK7 6AA

ps: if anyone wants the whole source plus the working version I can let them
have it on a single 3.5in diskette in self unpacking archive form on receipt
of a diskette.

[Ed. - Many thanks!  The new files have been added to the MS-Kermit files,
replacing the old Apricot version.  Presumably your diskette offer only
applies in the UK?]

------------------------------

Date: 26 February 1988
From: Adrian Godwin, 78 Putnoe Street, Bedford, England.
Via: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: Announcing C-Kermit 4D(061) Adapted to MINIX

Here is a set of C-Kermit 4D(061) sources, modified for use with Andrew
Tanenbaum's UNIX V7 implementation for the IBM PC family, MINIX.  The source
is derived from the Lancaster VAX/VMS backup format distribution tapes of
20.1.88, and 6 files are modified:

	ckuusr.c	ckuus3.c	ckufio.c
	ckutio.c	ckcmai.c	ckcfns.c

Some additional files containing build information for an MS-DOS (Lattice C)
cross-compilation, fixes to the MINIX kernel and pre-built executable files
(in .BOO format) are also present.  These have names of the form cktker.???,
and are documented in the file cktker.hlp .

Modifying C-Kermit 4D-061 for use under 'MINIX' has required rather more
changes to Minix than to Kermit. The C source files are included; they all
began as the CK---.--- files for the 4D(061) distribution set. Here the names
have been changed to MX---.--- . Hints, fixes and library changes are also
attached - most of these are applicable for anyone implementing a serial i/o
driver for Minix, and many library fixes are useful for porting other
utilities.

C-Kermit cannot be built under version 1.1 Minix, as it compiles to about 85K
and the initial Minix assembler cannot separate I&D model output.  The
executable file was therefore built under MS-DOS using the Lattice 3.10 C
compiler. Some care is needed in cross-compiling : see the notes in
Tanenbaum's book about libraries, and read the enclosed Lattice makefile,
cktker.mak.

A port of this version to the latest C-Kermit version 4E(070) is now underway
and will be released at some future time.

[Ed. - While awaiting arrival of the 4E adaptation, this set of files has
been placed in the Kermit Distribution under the prefix MX, as in KER:MX*.*,
and is on Tape B.  Thanks to the folks at Lancaster University for sending
this in.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1988 Apr 25   15:18 EDT
From: (John F. Chandler)   PEPMNT@CFAAMP.BITNET
Subject: Updates for TSO Kermit

Here are the updates I promised a few weeks ago (and some others, too)
for TSO Kermit-370.  I am sending replacements for IKTKER.UPD and
IKTKER.BWR -- the latter gives a bit more elaboration of the bugs fixed
and new features implemented.

[Ed. - Many thanks John!]

------------------------------

Date: 09 MAY 1988  09:49 EST
From: Steve Roseman <LUSGR%LEHICDC1.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Error in CD3KER, CDC Cyber NOS Kermit

There is an error in CD3KER, the CDC Cyber NOS Kermit (the Fortran one), which
prevents its use with V2.31 of MS-Kermit.  CD3KER's response to an 'F' packet
contains the wrong length, which didn't bother V2.30, but does upset V2.31.
The following code fixes the problem.  Please replace the current CD3KER.BWR
with this message, since the current .BWR file is out-of-date.  Thanks.

*IDENT,MAY0688
*D,KERMLIB.3426
            CALL SNDPACK(Y, NUM, SLEN(FILESTR), FILESTR)

On a related note, I will be negotiating with Olaf Pors of Univ of Virginia
about who gets to incorporate his mods from last September (V7 #3), into the
standard CD3KER.  I don't really have the time, but I will if necessary.

Steve Roseman
Lehigh University Computing Center
LUSGR@LEHICDC1

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 May 88 16:47:20 EDT
From: Olaf Pors <op@bigfoot.acc.virginia.edu>
Subject: CDC Kermit

I just took a look at the Kermit distribution and noticed that the CD3KER.IN2
and CD3KER.MOD files were the ones that conflicted with Steve Roseman's 3.3
version of Kermit.  Late last year I downloaded Roseman's 3.3 version and
upgraded my mod to correspond (producing version 3.4), and I thought I sent
you the upgraded stuff.

In case something got dropped, here are the two files again.  The first one
should be put in place of CD3KER.INS (get rid of CD3KER.IN2).  The second
should be put in place of CD3KER.MOD.  There's also an updated CD3KER.HLP.

Olaf Pors, University of Virginia

[Ed. - Thanks, Olaf.  The updated files have been put in right places.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Apr 88 18:33:37 -0500
From: Mark Vasoll <vasoll%a.cs.okstate.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: clarification of uucp-support address on okstate

We have recently moved the Kermit distribution at Okstate to another
computer.  A result of this is that the previously stated restriction of not
being able to send mail over this link is now enforced (since the new home
of Kermit is not the "real" okstate.  Questions about the Kermit or UUCP
servers at Okstate should be addressed to:

Domain: uucp-support@a.cs.okstate.edu
UUCP Path: {cbosgd, ihnp4, rutgers}!okstate!uucp-support

Attempts to mail via the uucpker login to okstate!uucp-support will be
flushed.

Thanks,

Mark Vasoll
Computing and Information Sciences   Domain:  vasoll@a.cs.okstate.edu
Oklahoma State University            UUCP:    {cbosgd, ihnp4,
Stillwater, Oklahoma                           rutgers}!okstate!vasoll

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Apr 1988 20:37:05 EDT
From: "Robert E. Zaret" <ZARET%MITVMA.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: DG/1 Success!!!

I just tried MS-Kermit 2.30 extended development (received from Columbia 23
April) on my DG/1 and have succeeded. In fact, I am using it to compose this
note.  I still can't use COM1/BIOS1 with either the internal modem or an
external modem.  However, if I set the port to BIOS2, I can use COM2 with an
external modem.  I have only been using it for a few minutes, but 1200 bps
seems to be no problem.  I also tried connecting to an AT with a null modem;
Kermit could switch the port's speed to 2400 bps, and I could talk to the AT,
but I couldn't transfer files (each Kermit kept trying, but did not recognize
the other.)

I got the idea to try BIOS2 from two clues: 1) when I use the STATUS command
right after I start Kermit, the display says the port is BIOS1; and 2) when I
tried SET PORT 2, Kermit said the port was unavailable.

Thank you, thank you.  I've had other options, but was rooting for Kermit; I
know at least one other person around here with a DG/1, who has fewer options
and believes several others in the area have the same problem; and I've been
concerned about the person who wrote to the Kermit digest a few months ago
about communications software that can run on a DG/1 and be used by the blind.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 May 88 15:27:03 PDT
From: Ariane Glagowski <CCARIANE%UVVM.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Kermit Konfigurator

We are supporting MS-Kermit here as a method for connecting PC's to VM/CMS via
7171's.  Users at UVic can connect to a 7171 port by having a direct
connection to a Gandalf PACX port or an Ungermann-Bass Net/One port, or
dialing to a PACX port. Another connection method is through DATAPAC, although
that is seldom used.

We tried to set up a Kermit "TAKE" file or an ".INI" file for the Users, with
appropriate keyboard mapping and script commands to automate the connection to
VM. If automatic connection was desired, the User was able to connect to VM by
invoking Kermit and typing "TAKE filename" and waiting until the VM/370 logo
appears on the screen. With all the possible combinations of connection
methods, baud rates, monitors, keyboard layouts, etc., etc. it became
impossible for our User Services to help all the first time users with their
connection problems.  We decided to write a Kermit Konfigurator program which
the User could run and would build a TAKE file according to the User's
requirements.

Before running Kermit for the first time, the User types KKONFIG on his PC.
KKONFIG prompts with questions like "select baud rate", "select communications
port", "do you want automatic connection to CMS", etc., along with simple help
menu's for each possible selection. When KKONFIG terminates, it writes a
"TAKE" file that the User can use when running Kermit or he can rename it to
an .INI file.

KKONFIG is written in Turbo PASCAL and linked into one .COM file.  As it
stands now, it is customized for our environment but the source could easily
be tailored to other environments.

If anyone is interested in trying it out to see how it works, please send a
note to me, Ariane Glagowski, CCARIANE@UVVM.BITNET, and I will send you the
.COM file over the network. You can then receive the file onto your CMS disk
and download it to your PC using Kermit.  Be sure to set the host Kermit in
binary mode before downloading to your PC.

The Konfigurator works with MS-Kermit 2.29c and 2.30.

Ariane Glagowski <CCARIANE@UVVM.BITNET>
Acknowledge-To: <CCARIANE@UVVM>

------------------------------

Date: 25-APR-1988 11:34:37 GMT +01:00
From: CPA006%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: C-Kermit 4E(070) and Long Packets under VMS vs X.25

I've just built 4E(070) under VMS and been trying to use long packets with it
to MS-Kermit 2.30, with distinct lack of success.

We have a (*very* slow) VAX-11/780 running VMS 4.7; terminals are connected to
X25 PADs and make X29 calls into the VAX. We have all our lines set for 9600
baud. C-Kermit works OK with normal packet sizes, and it sends files *to* the
PC with 250 byte packets OK. However, trying to use any packet size about 200
bytes or so *from* the PC results in repeated retries; the log shows that the
VAX is giving "Data Overrun" errors on about 1 in 3 packets.

I tried changing CKVTIO.C to set the line to use HOSTSYNC, which ought (I
think) to allow VMS to exert flow control on data coming from the PC (?), but
no effect. Has anyone seen this problem elsewhere? Is the solution just to
reduce the baud rate to what will work?

   Alan Phillips

[Ed. - The problem is probably in the VAX's network interface.  It seems from
your description that the network is delivering the PC's data correctly to
the VAX, but the VAX cannot keep up.  It may be that VMS's support for
incoming terminal connections over an X.25 network is designed with the
faulty assumption that the host sends large amounts of data, and terminals
only send small amounts.  What is the biggest X.25 data packet your VAX will
accept?  If it is 128 (a typical value), then long Kermit packets will be
segmented by the network, and the VAX must reassemble them.  If the VAX is
very slow, new segments may arrive before it has disposed of previous ones.
As you suggest, there should be flow control between the VAX and the network,
but X.25 is supposed to provide this, no?  But it may be that specific
support is required in VMS Kermit for X.25 connections as opposed to real
terminals.  Any VMS X.25 experts out there?]

------------------------------

Date: 5 May 88 21:16:03 GMT
From: chemabs!chemabs!rsh27@trantor.UMD.EDU (Robert S. Hall)
Subject: DEC PRO350 Terminal Emulation Software?

I am looking for an alternative terminal emulator for a DEC PRO 350.  I am
currently using an in-house written VT102 terminal emulator which works well,
but is not quite as fast as I would like.  What I would like to know is:

        o Is anyone else currently using PRO/Kermit?  If so, have
          you noticed any problems?

        o Has anyone made ANY enhancements to PRO/Kermit.  What I
          am most interested in is PRO/Kermit's 'connect'
          function, i.e.  User Defined Function Keys, etc.

	o Does anyone know of any other VT220/VT102 terminal emulation
          software available for the DEC PC350 other than PRO/Comm
          or PRO/Kermit?

Any input you might have on this subject will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Robert S. Hall
Chemical Abstracts Service      Columbus, Ohio 43210    (614) 421-3600 X2027
cbosgd!osu-cis!chemabs!hall

[Ed. - There are several Pro-Kermits.  The one most people use is probably
the K11 version from Brian Nelson.  The Stevens version gave up the ghost
a while back when new P/OS releases made it stop working.]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------